Wrestling Forum banner

A question concerning the Undertaker!

1368 13
Hey! I'm quite new as a fan and to this site and I feel like I need to ask a question that's probably going to make me look like and idiot, but what the hell.

How are the Undertaker's mic skills? Arguably his biggest strength is his gimmick and his in-ring work if you ask me but I've never been able to place Taker's mic work on a scale. What do you think? :)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
He was pretty damn good during his Big Evil run, aside from that it barely matters since every promo is essentially the same, ending with the whole arena chanting along to "rest...in...peace"

·
Purebred Powerhouse
7,854 Posts
The Undertaker is actually very good on the mic. He doesn't really have the stage to show it, given his Deadman gimmick, but the skills are there. He has a way of being very casual, but very believable, in his delivery.

He hasn't shown much in recent years, mostly because of the zombie gimmick. He's just given the same lines and angles to work over & over again. That results in repetitive interviews about souls, darkness, and other cryptic Halloween nonsense.

In reality, his best mic work came between 2000 and 2003, during his BikerTaker run. He was portraying a basic, kick-ass biker. And it worked well. He was believable and credible. His "big dog of the yard" stuff was great. His tone wasn't over-the-top. His delivery was spot-on. And, best of all, he was credible in the role. It wasn't like having some pretty boy or posterchild spitting out idle threats.

Plus, he gets bonus points for burning the fans over the way they interrupted him with the "What?" chants. :D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
What makes The Undertaker's skills on the mic so special is that he rarely speaks, so when he does, everybody listens, the crowd is silent, and cheer every time he says something good.

Very underrated on the mic though, I believe he was one of the best back in the day, and given the time today, he could be the best.

·
Ho!
20,610 Posts
Undertaker isn't the best on the mic, guys like Edge, Triple H, Rock, Jericho, CM Punk, Austin, and many others are above Taker on the mic. However he is still vastly underrated, especially when I see ignorant people saying he sucks on the mic when they haven't actually heard what he could do. As it has been pointed out, he has been pretty much given the same material over and over again. I believe his best mic work since going back to being the deadman was in his build up with Shawn Michaels to WM25. But for the most part his deadman gimmick restrains his mic skills... kind of like how they restrained his in ring skills back in the day (though that's not to say he was as good then as he was back in 2006-2007), but the deadman gimmick comes with a lot of restrictions, especially for someone as devoted to the character as Taker is. The amazing thing is through all of that, Taker still made things work.

That being said, if you want to see what Taker can really do, go back to his ministry promos in 1998-1999, or his big evil days in 2000-2003. Something Savage's post really sums it all up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
He can certainly hold his own on the stick, but on almost all his run, he hasn't had to do any talking given his gimmick. Some of his early promos were done brilliantly with his eerie voice, but these days, it's just repetitive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is he on par with Kane? At least I think that Kane has great mic skils! :)

Wouldn't it be cool if them two paired up during their last year in WWE? Undertaker coming out telling his brother he finally respects him, them forming Brothers of Destruction again and destroying some people before beating Cena and Borton at WM28 in a tag team fight? Haha, it's way to early in the morning for me to actually write something coherent and interesting, sorry guys!

·
Premium Member
13,787 Posts
Taker in his natural gimmick, that being the "American Badass/Biker" gimmick from 2000 to 2003, was able to cut some of the best promos I've ever heard in WWE. He's extremely limited in his current gimmick, especially considering WWE is PG these days, so he can't go "too dark" into his promos. Seriously though, he's one of the best talkers, if he was allowed to talk more; more people would realise it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.