Wrestling Forum banner

A Question About WWE Faces

867 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  fan4fun
Hi
I have read in many threads that we're supposed to like the face characters in WWE.
Well actually i kind of like the heels and dislike the faces. And this is not because i think bad guys are cooler or anything. It is because the faces are more like babyfaces. Is WWE thinking that these characters can be liked by kids and adults as well? I understand why parent is cheering for Cena for example, but i can't understand a 30 year old guy.
Maybe they should have 2 kinds of faces. One kind should be the babyface kind (such as Cena, R-Truth etc.) and the other one a little bit more hardcore faces (like The Rock or Austin years ago).
Do you guys agree or do you like the faces the way WWE has them?
Reactions: NoLeafClover
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
176 Posts
Hi
I have read in many threads that we're supposed to like the face characters in WWE.
Well actually i kind of like the heels and dislike the faces. And this is not because i think bad guys are cooler or anything. It is because the faces are more like babyfaces. Is WWE thinking that these characters can be liked by kids and adults as well? I understand why parent is cheering for Cena for example, but i can't understand a 30 year old guy.
Maybe they should have 2 kinds of faces. One kind should be the babyface kind (such as Cena, R-Truth etc.) and the other one a little bit more hardcore faces (like The Rock or Austin years ago).
Do you guys agree or do you like the faces the way WWE has them?
99% of this forum feels that way.These are the WWE's faces currently:

This is their previous residence:

· Registered
282 Posts
So few of the faces / babyfaces are convincing in the role these days. Cena is just flat out annoying, as he goofs about wearing the world's worst merchandise. Evan Bourne is likeable, but too anonymous. Meanwhile Orton and Edge haven't modified their heel persona enough to be convincing as good guys (admittedly this is a fault of the booking as much as anything).

I think it is easier to make an impact as a heel; there's more scope for having fun, as usually the heel will set feuds in motion by bullying and goading the face. Look at the career of Michael Cole; as a face commentator, he was bland and hard to notice. As a heel commentator he's achieved a status far beyond what anyone could dream about even 12 months ago. Heels are just more visible. Certainly, WWE finds it much much easier to create stars out of heels (Barrett, del Rio).

But, yeah, I do find a strange disconnect while watching WWE programming, as usually I'm cheering for the bad guy. Interestingly, I don't have the same problem with TNA (particularly now A J Styles is being booked as a face again).

· Registered
147 Posts
It's because there's no such thing as a hated heel anymore. People gravitate to heels now because we know they aren't really monsters and they almost always have much fuller personalities.

And I'm a 32 year old man that likes Cena just fine. Hell of a promo guy, and despite all his title reigns, he still gets majorly under rated for his in ring skills.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally i think that things are going to be like this for a long time.
WWE has made a huge turn during the last few years. They even mentioned their movies and how they should be more family-movies. I remember a WWE-production movie 'The Condemned' with Austin.
Nowadays we have 'The Chaperone' for crying out loud.
It's all about the kids. So i guess we either have to live with it or just quit watching :hmm:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.