Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
October 26th, the night after Halloween Havoc 1998, where Goldberg retained the titled in a match against Dallas Page, was the last time Nitro ever beat Raw in the tv-ratings.

At Survivor Series 1998, November 15th, with Rock winning the WWF championship after pinning Mankind, with Austin getting screwed 20 minutes before that...

After that Raw never lost in the tv-ratings again.

Everyone talks about Mike Tyson and Starrcade 97 and 98 but this forgotten moment was really when MNW was won....or what do you think? Was there anything good about Halloween Havoc 98 and was Goldbergs feud with Dallas Page the right feud for Goldberg?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
October 26th, the night after Halloween Havoc 1998, where Goldberg retained the titled in a match against Dallas Page, was the last time Nitro ever beat Raw in the tv-ratings.

At Survivor Series 1998, November 15th, with Rock winning the WWF championship after pinning Mankind, with Austin getting screwed 20 minutes before that...

After that Raw never lost in the tv-ratings again.

Everyone talks about Mike Tyson and Starrcade 97 and 98 but this forgotten moment was really when MNW was won....or what do you think? Was there anything good about Halloween Havoc 98 and was Goldbergs feud with Dallas Page the right feud for Goldberg?
I think it was more WCW lost fan confidence when that Havoc PPV cut out early before the main event. Just made them look really bush league. Couple that with the incredibly hot hand WWF had at the time. It was game over.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
WCW was already a sinking ship by that point anyway so it didn't really matter all that much.

Real pivotal moments during the Monday Nights Wars that caused the shift in my opinion were: The Austin/McMahon/Tyson confrontation, WrestleMania 14 and DX invading WCW.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,092 Posts
The quality of Nitro in late 1998 had taken a hit, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it was by no means horrible. But it wasn't as crisp of a show as it was from mid 1996 to late 1997, when the NWO was at it's hottest and freshest. It was still quality, just not as great as it once was. Couple that with the fact that Raw was red hot with guys like Austin, Rock, and DX and it was tough sledding for WCW. The fact that they couldn't even have their PPV air the main event certainly didn't help matters, either.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The quality of Nitro in late 1998 had taken a hit, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it was by no means horrible. But it wasn't as crisp of a show as it was from mid 1996 to late 1997, when the NWO was at it's hottest and freshest. It was still quality, just not as great as it once was. Couple that with the fact that Raw was red hot with guys like Austin, Rock, and DX and it was tough sledding for WCW. The fact that they couldn't even have their PPV air the main event certainly didn't help matters, either.
I personally think Nitro took a hit after Starrcade 97 but that just me. It was still a good show in 98 but Raw was definitely the better of the two.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
HH ’98 was one of my favorite ppvs actually. I know it’s often looked down upon because of how the Hogan-Warrior match turned out but I still love the show. The funny thing is that if you look at the card on paper – it’s probably one of the strongest cards ever put together:

DDP vs. Goldberg
Sting vs. Bret Hart
Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan
Kevin Nash vs. Scott Hall
Scott Steiner vs. Rick Steiner (sort of)
Chris Jericho vs. Raven

Those are some really intriguing match ups. The 8 year old kid me that saw this live didn’t give a damn that Warrior-Hogan sucked. It was just so cool to see them go head to head again. I think Sting/Bret was a solid match and it was part of a rivalry between those 2 that I really enjoyed at the time. Page/Goldberg was one of the best WCW title matches ever IMO.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
I think it was more WCW lost fan confidence when that Havoc PPV cut out early before the main event. Just made them look really bush league. Couple that with the incredibly hot hand WWF had at the time. It was game over.

I agree with this. It's pretty hard to try and put a spin on cutting out your PPV audience like that...

However, it was just a matter of time until people got tired of their story lines. The NWO thing was bound to run it's course with most fans after awhile... Also WWE was really hitting their stride in 1998.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
A few things changed in the dynamic of WCW post-Havoc '98:

- Hogan left to "Run for President"
- Warrior wasn't used again and they let his contract run out
- Sting left to deal with his personal stuff
- Bret Hart continued to be used really weird and wasn't even wrestling on the Starrcade '98 card.

WCW did some great attendance numbers in November, but a lot of their ratings fall really started around this time due to a lack of anything for anyone to do. There was a DDP/Bret feud, and Goldberg fought some more guys, but there was not a lot going on.

Of course, WCW's issues were its own deal and the WWF was really kicking ass. The elevation of Rock and the Rock/Foley feud to compliment Austin/McMahon was a winning combination.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gotta figure that the attempt to bring back the Ultimate Warrior was a big contributer.
The hype of the Warrior's arrival had everyone excited and tuned in, but once he arrived Nitro's entertainment factor dropped. His feud with Hogan dominated entire episodes, featured little in-ring action, and all the magician tricks felt dated in contrast to the emerging Attitude-era.
Plus, the addition of the Warrior felt like it interrupted the nWo faction feud by occupying Hogan.
At the end of the day, the Warrior never paid off for WCW. His promos were no longer crazy and intesne; they were 30 minutes bore fests. He also never got in the ring. When he did at Halloween Havoc, he had a horrid match, and LOST! All that build up to have Hogan beat him. And it wasn't like that loss helped to further the feud, or lead to another encounter.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Gotta figure that the attempt to bring back the Ultimate Warrior was a big contributer.
The hype of the Warrior's arrival had everyone excited and tuned in, but once he arrived Nitro's entertainment factor dropped. His feud with Hogan dominated entire episodes, featured little in-ring action, and all the magician tricks felt dated in contrast to the emerging Attitude-era.
Plus, the addition of the Warrior felt like it interrupted the nWo faction feud by occupying Hogan.
At the end of the day, the Warrior never paid off for WCW. His promos were no longer crazy and intesne; they were 30 minutes bore fests. He also never got in the ring. When he did at Halloween Havoc, he had a horrid match, and LOST! All that build up to have Hogan beat him. And it wasn't like that loss helped to further the feud, or lead to another encounter.
Warrior/Hogan was terrible television, but combined with the Jay Leno nonsense and Goldberg's title run, Warrior was helping WCW in the ratings up until October began, so in that sense he paid off.

Goldberg gets a lot of retroactive credit for WCW's ratings victories in the summer of '98, but a lot of the nights they won that summer with him on top coincide with Warrior's first few Nitro appearances.

But yeah, once October kicks in and we get closer to Hogan/Warrior at Havoc '98, WCW starts losing hard, and only has that one last ratings victory the night afterwards (likely due to giving away DDP/Goldberg for free on TV).

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've always thought that the period between Halloween Havoc and Survivor Series that year was the point where WWE officially became #1 . The Corporation storyline leading up to WMXV buried WCW for good.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I love Survivor Series 1998. It's a clusterfuck but I find it very entertaining and didn't expect the ending with Rock turning heel. Spoiler alert. :)

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
Everyone talks about Mike Tyson and Starrcade 97 and 98 but this forgotten moment was really when MNW was won....or what do you think?
Mick Foley's WWF Championship was the nail in the coffin. Nitro never recovered after Bischoff's spoiler move backfired on WCW!

- Vic

·
Banned
3,278 Posts
WWE paints WCW as wrong for airing the PPV for free due to service providers cutting it off, however WWE airs the Royal Rumble on Raw for free when there was no cut to feed.

WCW did the right thing and repaid those who bought the show, WWE just gave away for free, for the sake of it.

WCW was beating the WWF on Monday Nights with Austin/Undertaker in August of 1998, Austin simply could not beat WCW in the ratings, only Tyson, DX and Mcmahon did so.

So they pushed Rock and Mankind to the main event in September of 1998 and things take off, they build Survivor Series around The Rock as the main babyface going in, as he was the most popular, they turned him heel thus starting the Corporation and it shocked the world, WWF never lost to WCW again thanks to Rock and Mankind.

Rock even admitted to outdrawing Austin in WWE Magazine, as Rock was outdrawing Austin from late 1998-early 1999 and Rock gave the WWF the win, where they turned Rock face out of nowhere -> http://www.wrestlingforum.com/class...cause-fans-were-behind-him-after-wm-15-a.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts