Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, why because a match ends in 90 seconds do you all scream that TNA is putting the last nail in their coffin? MMA matches end quickly all the time and thats fine. Matches on TV are always shorter than matches on PPV, and that has been fine for forever even though it doesn't make any sense.

The match obviously changed when they saw him go to the ring. If they knew he was that bad they would have changed it but they didn't know, so they had Bischoff go down and tell Sting to squash him.

TNA doesn't make a ton of money from PPV sales, they have them because they have to and its easy since they tape shows the next week.

The money comes from, live events(has been increasing), merch(Don West is MVP), and TV deals. With UFC maybe leaving Spike TV, TNA has the upper hand when it's current contract runs out because it can bring at LEAST 1.5 million viewers every week, to watch Spike for 2 hours on Thursdays plus whatever the DVR viewership is. TNA beats WWE in England consistently, it's WWE exclusivity deals that have TNA on a weird channel.

TNA PPV's haven't been great in the past year, one match that was more exciting and interesting than the borefest and 100% predictability of Elimination Chamber isn't going to kill TNA.

· Registered
6,603 Posts
I agree that there's a lot of hyperbole and it won't kill TNA, but:

- TV matches are shorter than PPV matches, because if you can see 20 minute bouts on free TV, you're not going to want to purchase the show. You want to see wrestling, you have to buy the event. Plus it leaves time to set up angles with promos, backstage segments, and fit in adverts etc. From a business perspective there isn't much point in lengthy TV matches every week.

- With MMA fights, people know they could end quickly, it's part of the excitement and is always a possibility. A quick fight can usually indicate an amazing performance by one fighter, too, which is obviously good to see. A wrestling match is predetermined, planned out in advance and booked to fit the PPV running time. Everyone knows this now. There's no real comparison; an MMA fight finishes in a minute, it could mean someone just got a kick in the teeth. A wrestling PPV main event finishes in a minute, you feel like you've just been kicked in the teeth.

I'm not an expert on MMA events, but if a fight finishes quickly do they not usually have a non-televised fight from earlier in the night to show to give the event value for money? Obviously under the circumstances, TNA didn't provide anything extra, just an incredibly anticlimactic finish.

· The Sundance Kid
48,275 Posts
First, why because a match ends in 90 seconds do you all scream that TNA is putting the last nail in their coffin?
Well that isn't fair. You accuse the IWC of exaggerating but do the same yourself. Nobody is saying "Oh a 90 second match on a PPV, this will kill TNA." There are several other factors involved. It was the main event, and for the world title, being a main one.

The match obviously changed when they saw him go to the ring. If they knew he was that bad they would have changed it but they didn't know, so they had Bischoff go down and tell Sting to squash him.
They had no idea their anti-Christ poster boy was in no condition to wrestle before they had him go out for the main event of the PPV? Are you seriously positing this in TNA's DEFENSE?

TNA doesn't make a ton of money from PPV sales, they have them because they have to and its easy since they tape shows the next week.
The paying TNA fans still pay the 44.95. They deserve better. I think they're stupid to buy a TNA PPV, but they still deserve better for their money.

TNA PPV's haven't been great in the past year, one match that was more exciting and interesting than the borefest and 100% predictability of Elimination Chamber isn't going to kill TNA.
If you thought a minute of Jeff Hardy teasing where he was going to throw his t-shirt followed by getting held in a corner and then reverse DDT'd was exciting or interesting I don't know what to tell you. I'll give you that it was unpredictable, considering nobody thought even TNA could fuck up THIS badly.

· Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where's the rule that a main event can't be quick? We want wrestling to be realistic but we demand a 20 minute title match no matter what. In MMA a quick knockout happens in a 5 round title fight and that's fine, makes it exciting. We don't even care about pins in the first 10 minutes of a match, because we know only a finisher can end a match in most cases.

TNA PPVs are $35 not $45, and the match was more exciting than Miz vs Lawler certainly.

· The Sundance Kid
48,275 Posts
Where's the rule that a main event can't be quick? We want wrestling to be realistic but we demand a 20 minute title match no matter what. In MMA a quick knockout happens in a 5 round title fight and that's fine, makes it exciting. We don't even care about pins in the first 10 minutes of a match, because we know only a finisher can end a match in most cases.

TNA PPVs are $35 not $45, and the match was more exciting than Miz vs Lawler certainly.
MMA is real, they can't really help it if someone gets knocked out in the first few minutes of a fight. Wrestling is scripted and designed to entertain.

Hardy Vs Sting was not entertaining.

· Registered
6,603 Posts
Again, you can't compare a legitimate fight to a pre-determined match. Quick matches are fine, but in a world title PPV match, it just won't fly. People are ALWAYS going to be mad about leaving on a 90 second match, especially considering it wasn't even competitive- a kick, a few punches and one move.

· Registered
1,667 Posts

You speak about rationality, yet you keep throwing irrational bashes at WWE in your posts.

First of all, almost EVERY wrestling fan except for young children are fully aware that wrestling is fake. No one is asking to make things "real," but to make them entertaining. When everything is predetermined, no fan will expect that the main event, the MAIN match they paid to see, will be a horrendous 90-second failure. Face it, the entire thing was a complete and utter failure. Was it mainly TNA's fault? Yes, simply because they put so much responsibility into someone that is completely irresponsible for himself and for others.

Wrestling isn't MMA. People watch wrestling because of the entertainment of storyline and feuds, and also because of stellar matches. When you're a wrestling promotion hosting a PPV, it is YOUR DUTY to have the fans leave happy. Wrestling is a show, not a real competitive sport, so stop comparing it to them.

· Registered
10,981 Posts
Well somebody had to go down in TNA's grave with them. Might as well be you.

First, why because a match ends in 90 seconds do you all scream that TNA is putting the last nail in their coffin? MMA matches end quickly all the time and thats fine. Matches on TV are always shorter than matches on PPV, and that has been fine for forever even though it doesn't make any sense.
1. I can't believe you're comparing MMA to wrestling fpalm

2. Take 3 of these fpalm fpalm fpalm What are you on about here? Matches on TV are much shorter than PPV matches? Well no shit Einstein! Also hwo does the ending of a free tv match not make sense? Ahh Vine Russo is this you cause you're making my head hurt as usual!

3. You're justification is that because FREE TV matches are short why can't PPVs be? Cause people pay their money for them you thwart!

First to begin. Tell me in what company do workers even show up high and still be given the Ok to work? Last time I checked you come to work high, you ass is sent home. Dixie, Hogan, Bischoff whoever the heck runs that shitholoe shouldn't even have allowed in the first place.

Take 3 :lmao :lmao :lmao and an endless supply of fpalm. You imbecile! Because TNA doesn't make money off PPV they should have half assed PPVs? People pay $35 for this. WHAT THE FUCK MAN! DID YOU SERIOUSLY JUST SAY THAT? Well if that's the case, then TNA doesn't deserve to reach nowhere in life, nor do they deserve to grow as a company or even make money off their PPVs. I can't believe you as a fan are justifying your $35 purchase with that lame ass excuse. So you're basically letting TNA spit on you and you're taking it? Typical TNA mark.

The money comes from, live events(has been increasing), merch(Don West is MVP), and TV deals. With UFC maybe leaving Spike TV, TNA has the upper hand when it's current contract runs out because it can bring at LEAST 1.5 million viewers every week, to watch Spike for 2 hours on Thursdays plus whatever the DVR viewership is. TNA beats WWE in England consistently, it's WWE exclusivity deals that have TNA on a weird channel.
I'm not sure on TNA beating WWE in UK, but you're saying that since the money comes fom live events etc, that's where all the emphasis should be placed? Well jackass why do people come to live events? What they see on TV, they like. If they're given bullshit week after week, you think anyone's gonna come? Also what fi they pulled that stunt at a live event? How do you now justify your purchase?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5kPUFxXYLs

I'm an idiot for even taking you seriously in the first place.

· Registered
499 Posts
you think MMA fans wouldnt complain about a match where the heavyweight champ has to fight an intoxicated number one contender?

First off it would never happen, least not because the promotion would be shut down almost immediately after.

But secondly how long do you think an intoxicated guy would last against the UFC heavyweight champion?

It took sting, a 50 year old guy just 90 seconds to pin Jeff. And 87 seconds of that was Jeff throwing his t shirt. How long do you think it would take Brock Lesnar to demolish someone who could barely walk in a straight line?

· Registered
553 Posts
You're completely missing the point. The main issue is that TNA sent out a wrestler for the main event in a completely unsatisfactory condition. It did not end early because of a deliberate attempt to convey MMA-style realism, it ended because of gross incompetence in hiring and booking a wrestler who has issues which pose a threat to his health and that of his opponents, and failing to pick up on his condition until it was far too late.

Not only is it a rip-off to those few who had purchased an already poor show, it reflects horribly on the company's professionalism (or lack of such).

· The Sundance Kid
48,275 Posts
Okay gang I think we opened up enough orifices in this guy for one day now let's all go home to our wives and pretend to be heterosexuals what

To recap: TNA is awful. There are no justifications. Just a shitty company ran by shitty people, with a talented roster stuck in the crossfire.

· Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
9,284 Posts
And too if you were supposed to look at TNA like an MMA contest there wouldn't have been a casket match where some dude in a mask grabbed a black guy's junk.

· Registered
2,780 Posts
Your rationality is immediately called into question by the ridiculous comparision between TNA and MMA. Utter poppycock, really.

Also, the ONLY reason that TNA beats WWE in the ratings here is because it airs on a channel which is available to many more households. If both promotions were on the same channel, WWE's ratings would be far higher. British interest in WWE far outweighs that in TNA.

· Registered
4,841 Posts
Right people the main event match lasted 90 seconds but the main event lasted just over 10 minutes. (Slowed down entrances, special introduction, Eric Bischoff interference, Jeff teasing the crowd with shirt that was done to fill up the time of the PPV. How long do you think Sting can wrestle for the 8 minutes that the after entrances left probably would have been it. If anything TNA actually did well to improv and fill out as much time as they did.

· Registered
384 Posts
I think the OP meant under rationed mind...

1) I don't give a shit how long a match lasts, if it's well told. If anything, I'd rather watch 20 minutes of 2-5 minute quick wrestling matches than listen to some fucknut yap on the mic ad nauseum.

2) Hardy was in no condition to wrestle that night, and the smartest thing anyone could have done was have Hardy hauled off by security with an improptu commentary that the police had come with a warrant for Hardy's arrest, leaving Sting and the audience wondering who his opponent was going to be, and pulled out someone who hadn't been scheduled for appearing at the PPV to face him and have Sting retain that way. Even Hogan or Flair coming out and jobbing would have been a better resolution. Lord knows any sensible promotion plans ahead for no-shows or unexpected injuries at the last minute.

Personally, I hope this was the last any of us ever see of Jackass Jeff Hardy in any wrestling promotion on the national stage.

Now, I don't know who or what I would have planned as a backup in case Hardy was unavailable. Haven't thought about it, really. Too busy with more important things in my life, and I'm not being paid to do TNA's job for them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.