Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The history of wrestling, at least in the WWE years, has been about paying money to see a heel lose. It's the fabric of the business. At Wrestlemania III, it was seeing someone slam Andre. Mid-1990s was about who could take down the nWo. Austin/McMahon was about seeing Vince, the boss, get his ass kicked. 2000 was about someone, anyone beating Triple H. 2001 was about stopping the evil WCW/ECW faction. Then Brock, then Evolution, then JBL's epic title run, etc.

Whereas these days, the whole business is set up so the fans can see their faces win. It's a subtle difference, but it is a difference.

Austin and Rock were obviously the major faces in their time. Who was more-so is another (well worn out) debate, but let's say the both were equal at the time. WWE obviously new this, so the biggest superstar at the time creatively, in terms of booking, was Triple H. Not (totally) because of backstage politics, but because that's the business - desperately wanting your superstar to beat the bad guy.

Now I'm not saying Cena should lose more, and this isn't another thread about the Nexus needing to be booked stronger. It's not simply a matter of who wins the matches, it's deeper than that. The last time we were in a similar situation was when Hogan was in his WWF merch-selling "prime", and after that the WWF was able to somehow shift the focus back to stopping a heel, rather than cheering a face.

Am I completely off here? If not, how do you think the WWE can re-shift the focus back, or should they even try?

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
Seeing the faces win has always been the point of Pro Wrestling, its just a little more obvious these days since WWE has been in a "paint-by-numbers, lets appeal to everyone" style for the past few years.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah i have been favoring the heels for the last 5 years pretty much, when i started watching back in 2000 the heels would generally screw the faces between 2000-2005 most of the lengthy title runs were by heels so majority of fans would cheer the faces, but ever since batista and cena came around we got legthy face title runs and i to started side with heels of course i learnt more about wrestling as time went but i find it hard to cheer the likes of orton and cena e.t.c when their booked like superman who dosen't mark when they lose a match!?. Whens the last time wwe booked a jackass heel character who held the belt for 6-8 months and everyone paid to see to lose the belt? i can't remember. Oh and it dosen't help with nearly all the most talented performers i.e y2j punk e.t.c are heels most of the faces suck if not all.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I am all for Barrett being the next big dominant heel, evening winning the title at Night of Champions so say Orton could have a huge win over him at Wrestlemania

1 - 4 of 4 Posts