Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just throwing something out there for discussion's sake.

How would you feel about a product that tried to cater to both the kids (the stuff they do now) and adults who long for the return of the 'attitude era' type material. Here's what I was thinking:

1. We all know that Vince likes to promote heroes and supermen like Cena/Hogan for the kids. What if he continued doing so with the Midcard/Lowercard wrestlers, and we got something similar to the current product but only for the first 2/3rds of the show, before setting up for a more serious main event scene.

For example, the Intercontinental/Tag Team/Divas belt(s) could be the ones our Cena/Mysterio/Morrison type 'heroes' strive for, and you can use all the kiddy story lines you want to get them there. Then, moving on to the main event for the WWE/World titles, we see a more mature approach to things. This is were we bring back the bad-ass characters, the dark heel stables, the stone colds etc. However, given that there will still be children watching, we save most of the carnage for PPV's - bringing me to my next idea.

2. Set aside certain PPV's with a more mature certificate. Surely they'd see an increase in buys if the fans knew they were guaranteed hardcore or hell in a cell matches like you used to be.

Of course, there are a few simpler ideas that don't require the outstanding creative workload that the above ones would. Like appointing Raw the adult show and Smackdown the kids one. All of that would also require a huge amount of compromise for the adult fans, being that they'd have to wait longer than the kids for the pay-off to storylines. Anyway, as little sense as that all makes, what are your thoughts?

TL;DR shows could be 2/3rds for kids and 1/3rd for adults, set aside a few ppv's for mature content.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That would be way too much for the WWE to overhaul and the kiddys would hate Cena not being superman in a belt.
And in my opinion it IS catered to kids and adults. You think kids keep up with what CM Punk "shoots" every week? I've got a family of nephews to prove they don't...

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
No blood policy...You attitude era marks need to move on. It died 10 years ago.
Right. I just don't get it. Say everything about the Attitude Era was revamp. Hardcore Title 24/7. Divas being stripped to their bras and panties a couple times per show. Gimmick matches galore... How long before they would get bored of that, and want something toned down, because it's all being overdone?

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
No blood policy...You attitude era marks need to move on. It died 10 years ago.
Blood adds emotion to a wrestling match. It has nothing to do with the Attitude Era or ECW hardcore wrestling horseshit that was bad for the business (Listen to Jim Cornette's opinion on hardcore wrestling on Youtube for further clarification, absolutely spot on). Blood is a necessary component. It doesn't have to be overused or used frequently but it needs to be there. A Hell In A Cell/Elimination Chamber without blood is just impossible to take seriously.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Blood adds emotion to a wrestling match. It has nothing to do with the Attitude Era or ECW hardcore wrestling horseshit that was bad for the business (Listen to Jim Cornette's opinion on hardcore wrestling on Youtube for further clarification, absolutely spot on). Blood is a necessary component. It doesn't have to be overused or used frequently but it needs to be there. A Hell In A Cell/Elimination Chamber without blood is just impossible to take seriously.
Yup...But they arent aloud to do blood anymore.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Blood is a staple in the pro wrestling business. Don't overuse it for every match and feud but there needs to be an element where the feud gets to a higher level of seriousness or emotion and blood does that.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Right. I just don't get it. Say everything about the Attitude Era was revamp. Hardcore Title 24/7. Divas being stripped to their bras and panties a couple times per show. Gimmick matches galore... How long before they would get bored of that, and want something toned down, because it's all being overdone?
Alot more entertaining than the dolph ziggler jack lisp swagger feud.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
There was so much the AE could go in terms of pushing the envelope until there was nowhere else to go but do other things that network executives would have drawn the line on. Bringing back the Attitude Era is going to do what, exactly?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Too many diseased can be spread AND It's not too "PG"
This is a cop out. They get tested for diseases and other stuff constantly because of the Wellness Policy. I think it should be used, but sparingly. If you save it for very emotional matches, the fact that its being used will make those matches that more intense. I think even as little as two or three times a year would make a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
There was so much the AE could go in terms of pushing the envelope until there was nowhere else to go but do other things that network executives would have drawn the line on. Bringing back the Attitude Era is going to do what, exactly?
Nobody's asking for the Attitude era to come back, blood was used wayyyyy before the mid to late 90s.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
People tend to forget that the product was still edgy after the attitude era just not extreme is it hard to ask for the wwe to convert back to 2005 television content?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I think a PG product that pushes the envelope of what can be called "PG" is what we are going to see in the Reality Era. And I really have zero problem with that, a PG rating is good for business, but so is pushing limits.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Nobody's asking for the Attitude era to come back, blood was used wayyyyy before the mid to late 90s.
Some actually are. There are really blind people that want the Attitude Era back and that it will fix all of WWE's problems when we would be ridiculing the crap that was in that time as well if it happened today.

People tend to forget that the product was still edgy after the attitude era just not extreme is it hard to ask for the wwe to convert back to 2005 television content?
Sure. It wasn't as pushy and violent than before but it kept a balanced medium between mature content as well as fan friendly material.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
The problem with PG/no blood and stuff is that this is wrestling, wrestling is meant to be violent, if it wasn't a wrestling company I'd understand, but it is. It's like if boxing and UFC were not allowed to have blood.

Blood is expected in wrestling matches and so is violence, it's why we choose to watch fighting sports so we can see that, if we didn't want to see violence we wouldn't watch wrestling in the first place.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts