·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple but check it out
At least based off of the Attitude Era

Catchphrases and going against the Authority Figure
With a dose of Factions here and there

Bret Hart - "The Best there is...." - Went up against the Authority figure of Mr. McMahon, also had the Hart Foundation

HBK - "Suck it" - Went up against Commisioner Slaughter, also had had DX

Stone Cold - Among many "And that's the bottom line..." - Went up against Mr. McMahon and other factions, Technically Two Man Power Trip

The Rock - Among many "If you smell what the Rock is cooking" - Went up against Mr. McMahon and other faction, The Nation

HHH - "That Damn Good" - Went up against Slaughter, Vince, other factions, DX, McMahon-Hemsley

I think the reason why it kinda seems like the young stars just drift and lack interest from the fans is because they don't have catchphrases, no authority figures (around if they are they're getting punked or being a "computer") and Factions

If you think about it, the build and following created from just saying something over and over every show and getting the crowd to psychologically chant along just from familiarity is incredible. Why'd they end catchphrases IMO it's a simple but effective part of building up the character.

And Factions at least in the beginning made all the guys in Nexus credible this year which was great, I think we need more of it, factions anyway

And the all important No nonsense Authority figure, we need this guy, he also makes the star credible, there's really nobody around to check these guys lol

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
I'll have to side with Mick Foley. There is no formula in creating a star.

This doesn't help the incredibly contrived product of today either. It only exacerbates it.

Catch phrases is a big example. Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean its a success. It should come naturally like an internet meme. You don't go out and create a meme on the internet. It sorta happens.

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
780 Posts
Multiple factions is definitly not the worst thing that could be brought back to the product. I'd actually enjoy that. It's a very easy way to get a lot of exposure to a lot of young superstars all at once. Plus there is nothing better than some good ol' faction warfare.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to side with Mick Foley. There is no formula in creating a star.

This doesn't help the incredibly contrived product of today either. It only exacerbates it.

Catch phrases is a big example. Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean its a success. It should come naturally like an internet meme. You don't go out and create a meme on the internet. It sorta happens.
That's a great point
My biggest misconception about this whole thing, life included is that there is a formula
Maybe I shouldn't have put it that way

Plus I'm the kind of guy that thinks that the best things happen spontaneously or naturally

But I'm just saying I think some of those things help make mega stars
But in the end what works for one doesn't work for the other

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I don't know that there is a specific formula... A lot of times the catchphrases are a reflection of an overall character direction. Like rock was a cocky bastard, so he told people to know their role and shut their mouth. Or Ric flair was extremely flashy so he'd just yell 'woo' to rub it in and draw attention to himself. That stuff works within the character, like undertaker isnt going to go around yellng woo in peoples face all the time. Since a lot of the current guys don't really have definable characters, any catchphrases they might try don't really mean anything. cena's you can't see me works because he's a hip hop guy. I think cody rhodes could make something catch on with his character.

But what is husky harris catchphrase gonna be? 'fat is where its at?' His fatness is pretty much all he's got happening. As much as I like Ziggler's talent, what's his character got? blond hair? there is nowhere for a marketable tagline to spring from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts