Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I thought this would be an interesting one .... simply cause of the fact that not only did he play the part of Skinner (which was GREAT!!!) ... but he also had a good run as being one of many to play Doink The Clown (Admittedly Matt Borne was probably the best Doink) .... but I actually thought this guy was great, in fact, I loved the Skinner character .. even though he didn't have anything massively notable in regards to feuds, from what I can recall ... his time in the WWF/E was very noticeable, and he did make an impact what with his alligator claw around his neck and chewing tobacco ... they don't make characters like this anymore .. and they should!!!!

He was pretty solid in the ring, his promo work wasn't overly bad either and he did portray his characters well I thought, however, what are your thoughts, maybe you prefer him as Doink or Skinner etc..

Again, some questions to answer :

1. Fave match Keirn was involved in?

2. Who do you think he had the best chemistry with?

3. Fave memory of all time in regards to Keirn?

4. Thoughts on his promo and in ring ability?

5. Hall Of Fame worthy? .... Discuss.

Promo as Skinner (40 seconds in)

A great squash match as Skinner

·
Likes wrestling....
9,902 Posts
Ok, I thought this would be an interesting one .... simply cause of the fact that not only did he play the part of Skinner (which was GREAT!!!) ... but he also had a good run as being one of many to play Doink The Clown (Admittedly Matt Borne was probably the best Doink) .... but I actually thought this guy was great, in fact, I loved the Skinner character .. even though he didn't have anything massively notable in regards to feuds, from what I can recall ... his time in the WWF/E was very noticeable, and he did make an impact what with his alligator claw around his neck and chewing tobacco ... they don't make characters like this anymore .. and they should!!!!

He was pretty solid in the ring, his promo work wasn't overly bad either and he did portray his characters well I thought, however, what are your thoughts, maybe you prefer him as Doink or Skinner etc..

Again, some questions to answer :

Promo as Skinner (40 seconds in)

A great squash match as Skinner

Wow you are in my wheelhouse now. Keirn is one of my all time favorites.

But forget Skinner or Doink, he was best as one half of the Fabulous Ones!

So much history here to tell...
He and Stan Lane re-wrote the wrestling history books in Memphis. They were white hot. From their debut to breakup the Fabs were one of the greatest teams of the 80's. Their merchandise (mainly photos) would outsell Lawler, Dundee, and Mantell 3 to 1 according to Dutch. One of the first teams to use entrance music "Everybody Wants You" by Billy Squire. They also had one of the first music videos. They were supposed to turn heel quickly as Lawler and Jarrett never thought their gimmick of two pretty boys would get over in Memphis for long. They were wrong. What helped them get over so fast was they had Jackie Fargo, the original Fab, and CWA legend, tape an interview before their debut talking about how he put his seal of approval on the team. They were so over that Lawler created the Rock n Roll Express as a version for younger girl fans. The Fabs pretty much ushered in the era of pretty boy tag teams during the 80's. All of a sudden we had Fantastics, New York Dolls, RnR Express, Rock n Roll Rpm's, Midnight Rockers etc...

Aside from the Road Warriors no team had as much influence on the tag team scene in the 80's.

Stan and Steve also had enough tough guy in them that even the good ole boys down south could get behind them. They were technical in the ring but better in a brawl. They left Memphis after a crazy good run. They were slotted to win the AWA Tag Titles but the Road Warriors refused to put them over. According to Animal they thought the Fabs were too pretty boyish to beat them. I never understood this becuase I always thought of Stan and Steve as brawlers. This caused a huge rift between the Warriors and Verne Gagne.

Before his run with the Fabs, Keirn was a solid upper card face for years mainly in Florida and Memphis. He won lots of regional titles and worked long tag team programs with Bill Dundee.

As far as your questions:
1. Fave match Keirn was involved in? Stan and Steve versus the Sheepherders loser leaves town

2. Who do you think he had the best chemistry with? Stan Lane as a partner, Troy Graham the Dream Machine as an opponent.

3. Fave memory of all time in regards to Keirn? Either the Fabs fued with the Moondogs or New York Dolls, or his part in the rivalry with the faces of Memphis vs. The First Family of Jimmy Hart before his stint with the Fabs.

4. Thoughts on his promo and in ring ability? One of the most truly under-rated ever.

5. Hall Of Fame worthy? .... Discuss. As one of the Fabs yes, as a single he probably gets lost among the dozens of other technically gifted stars of his era. But as the Fabs they made history so yes.

Cheesy old video but shows you what I am talking about..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpDaVcefkY

Anyone remember Stevie Richards and Blie Meanie as the Fabulous Ones?

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow you are in my wheelhouse now. Keirn is one of my all time favorites.

But forget Skinner or Doink, he was best as one half of the Fabulous Ones!

So much history here to tell...
He and Stan Lane re-wrote the wrestling history books in Memphis. They were white hot. From their debut to breakup the Fabs were one of the greatest teams of the 80's. Their merchandise (mainly photos) would outsell Lawler, Dundee, and Mantell 3 to 1 according to Dutch. One of the first teams to use entrance music "Everybody Wants You" by Billy Squire. They also had one of the first music videos. They were supposed to turn heel quickly as Lawler and Jarrett never thought their gimmick of two pretty boys would get over in Memphis for long. They were wrong. So much so that Lawler created the Rock n Roll Express as a version for younger girl fans. The Fabs pretty much ushered in the era of pretty boy tag teams during the 80's.

Stan and Steve also had enough tough guy in them that even the good ole boys down south could get behind them. They were technical in the ring but better in a brawl. They left Memphis after a crazy good run. They were slotted to win the AWA Tag Titles but the Road Warriors refused to put them over. According to Animal they thought the Fabs were too pretty boyish to beat them. I never understood this becuase I always thought of Stan and Steve as brawlers. This caused a huge rift between the Warriors and Verne Gagne.

Before his run with the Fabs, Keirn was a solid upper card face for years mainly in Florida and Memphis. He won lots of regional titles and worked long tag team programs with Bill Dundee.

As far as your questions:
1. Fave match Keirn was involved in? Stan and Steve versus the Sheepherders loser leaves town

2. Who do you think he had the best chemistry with? Stan Lane as a partner, Troy Graham the Dream Machine as an opponent.

3. Fave memory of all time in regards to Keirn? Either the Fabs fued with the Moondogs or New York Dolls, or his part in the rivalry with the faces of Memphis vs. The First Family of Jimmy Hart before his stint with the Fabs.

4. Thoughts on his promo and in ring ability? One of the most truly under-rated ever.

5. Hall Of Fame worthy? .... Discuss. As one of the Fabs yes, as a single he probably gets lost among the dozens of other technically gifted stars of his era. But as the Fabs they made history so yes.

Anyone remember Stevie Richards and Blie Meanie as the Fabulous Ones?
I didn't know any of this, its interesting you mention the brawler style they had, I always felt that as Skinner, he was quite a brawler, although he did use good technical in ring ability, he did seem to me as being a bit of a brawler for some reason :)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I haven't seen a ton of Steve Keirn. Just a little bit from Memphis, his 'blink and you miss it' run teaming with Eaton in WCW. And his awful Skinner run. Now I'm a fan of gimmicks, but Skinner did nothing for me. He was a bathroom break kind of wrestler. And I guess I saw him as Doink too, but it's not like I can keep my Doink's straight. Nor do I particularily care to. Fwiw, I have no idea how the Fabulous Ones got over as babyfaces. They dressed and acted like Buff Bagwell...in 1980s Memphis! Their popularity is one of the weirder things ever.

I vaguely remember seeing a good Fabulous Ones vs. Sheepherders match or two. Only it wasn't the Bushwhackers. I think it was Rip Morgan and...one of the Bushwackers? It was a long time ago.

Him and Lane somehow made the Fabulous Ones gimmick work, so I guess it would be my man, Sweet Stan.

This promo he cut on the Sheepherders about being a real American who fought in Vietnam. It got the crowd JACKED and he delivered it with great intensity.

He cut that one awesome promo I just mentioned, so he had to have some promo ability. I'll abstain from answering about his in-ring ability.

No way. His national claim to fame is playing Skinner for a few months and Skinner sucked.

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
I've only ever seen him as Skinner, but I know of his work as part of the Fabulous Ones.

Had to be against Bret Hart. Don't remember where it was, but it was included on the 1st Bret DVD.

I don't remember too much of his work. I'll have to re-watch some matches on youtube.

Frankly, I just liked the Skinner gimmick. He really stuck out to me when he debuted.

Solid on the mic & very good in the ring. He knew how to work the audience & had great timing.

5. Hall Of Fame worthy?

I'd put him in, but probably more for his work as part of The Fabulous Ones and his developmental work.

I would loved to have seen him, even if only as a transitional champion, win the Intercontinental championship.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I thought the Skinner gimmick stood out too, it made you take notice of this guy chewing tobacco I thought with the alligator claw lol

·
Likes wrestling....
9,902 Posts
I haven't seen a ton of Steve Keirn. Just a little bit from Memphis, his 'blink and you miss it' run teaming with Eaton in WCW. And his awful Skinner run. Now I'm a fan of gimmicks, but Skinner did nothing for me. He was a bathroom break kind of wrestler. And I guess I saw him as Doink too, but it's not like I can keep my Doink's straight. Nor do I particularily care to. Fwiw, I have no idea how the Fabulous Ones got over as babyfaces. They dressed and acted like Buff Bagwell...in 1980s Memphis! Their popularity is one of the weirder things ever.

I vaguely remember seeing a good Fabulous Ones vs. Sheepherders match or two. Only it wasn't the Bushwhackers. I think it was Rip Morgan and...one of the Bushwackers? It was a long time ago.

Him and Lane somehow made the Fabulous Ones gimmick work, so I guess it would be my man, Sweet Stan.

This promo he cut on the Sheepherders about being a real American who fought in Vietnam. It got the crowd JACKED and he delivered it with great intensity.

He cut that one awesome promo I just mentioned, so he had to have some promo ability. I'll abstain from answering about his in-ring ability.

No way. His national claim to fame is playing Skinner for a few months and Skinner sucked.
By-Tor you are one of my favorite posters. To understand how the Fabs were so over in Memphis, Jackie Fargo had a lot to do with it, and if you watched enough Memphis from like 84 you would totally get it.

Their brawls with The Interns, Moondogs, Sheepherders, Assasins, PYT Express (some of the best matches I remember), New York Dolls, Grapplers they were so good. Just reading this thread has led me to watching youtube Fabulous Ones matches for the last 45 minutes.

Skinner was not great IMO, but Hall of Fame for the Fabs 100% I just know Steve would be rolling his eyes to know he has a thread on here but more remembered as Skinner, after his 20 year solid career, known for a six month gimmick ;)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
By-Tor you are one of my favorite posters. To understand how the Fabs were so over in Memphis, Jackie Fargo had a lot to do with it, and if you watched enough Memphis from like 84 you would totally get it.
Thanks for the compliment. You're one of my favorite posters too. I like reading you're Memphis stories.

But now I'm going to lose any goodwill I built up because I HATED Jackie Fargo. Hated Hated Hated! Granted, I only saw old "Memphis Legend" Jackie Fargo when he'd occasionally show up to annoy me on my 1980s Memphis Wrestling tapes.

For starters, he looks like a drunk uncle. I was never big on those sort of wrestlers. Also, his promos sucked. It's all pal'ee this and pal'ee that. I swear if I heard Fargo call somebody "pal'ee" one more time, I think I would have thrown something through the TV. I don't know the proper way to spell pal'ee, but anybody who ever saw Jackie Fargo would know what I'm referring too because he says it about a dozen times a minute. He also tried ruining the otherwise epic Lawler/Hennig title change with the worst refereeing I ever had the misfortune to see. He makes Gene Kiniski look like Earl Hebner...or something. I might not 'get' the Fabs, but they're the Lane/Eaton Midnight Express compared to god awful Jackie Fargo.

The only nice thing I can say about Jackie Fargo is at least he's better than "The Boogie Woogie Man" Jimmy Valiant.

·
Likes wrestling....
9,902 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. You're one of my favorite posters too. I like reading you're Memphis stories.

But now I'm going to lose any goodwill I built up because I HATED Jackie Fargo. Hated Hated Hated! Granted, I only saw old "Memphis Legend" Jackie Fargo when he'd occasionally show up to annoy me on my 1980s Memphis Wrestling tapes.

For starters, he looks like a drunk uncle. I was never big on those sort of wrestlers. Also, his promos sucked. It's all pal'ee this and pal'ee that. I swear if I heard Fargo call somebody "pal'ee" one more time, I think I would have thrown something through the TV. I don't know the proper way to spell pal'ee, but anybody who ever saw Jackie Fargo would know what I'm referring too because he says it about a dozen times a minute. He also tried ruining the otherwise epic Lawler/Hennig title change with the worst refereeing I ever had the misfortune to see. He makes Gene Kiniski look like Earl Hebner...or something. I might not 'get' the Fabs, but they're the Lane/Eaton Midnight Express compared to god awful Jackie Fargo.

The only nice thing I can say about Jackie Fargo is at least he's better than "The Boogie Woogie Man" Jimmy Valiant.
Hahaha, you know I always thought he was drunk myself. Probably your animosity to Fargo is much like many younger posters animosity of Flair. You saw the blabbering past his prime crazy man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts