Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know we can't go through what your favorite Mean Gene matches are of course lol, but I really enjoyed this guy on television, I loved the way he conducted interviews, did the news reports etc.. I thought he was such a great personality.

I can't really put my finger on why I thought he was so great to be honest, like with Heenan for example, it's so easy to come up with things such as the way he worked a crowd, his wit etc.. but there was something about Mean Gene that I thought was really cool when he was on TV and still to this day when he presents Vintage ... it's always so good to see him on screen and there etc..

Of course, if it wasn't for Mean Gene .... Hogan wouldn't have had his famous 'Well ya know something Mean Gene' saying ... but yeah, did you enjoy seeing Mean Gene on the TV also? ... and what are your thoughts in regards to him?

Here is a couple of clips to recap on.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

There's also a good video of him cracking up at Ken Patera but I can't find it on Youtube.

Don't have much of an opinion on him overall though, very old-school, came across as a lil corny at times, but obviously a huge success in that role.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah he was very old school, I imagine he worked the territories before it went mainstream etc..

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
^Mean Gene was in AWA for a while.

I was a fan of Gene in WWF. He was perfect for that era. I think he was to the Golden Age what JR was to the Attitude Era; the likeable 'good guy' who the fans trusted and respected. I was a Mean Gene guy even as a young heel fan.

My friend's brother used to do a spot on Mean Gene impersonation. He did a really great Fink too.

But like Heenan, Gene seemed like a guy who was dogging it in WCW. He went from 'likeable interview dude' to 'sleazy huckster' always shilling that darn 900 line.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Mean Gene was in AWA for a while.

I was a fan of Gene in WWF. He was perfect for that era. I think he was to the Golden Age what JR was to the Attitude Era; the likeable 'good guy' who the fans trusted and respected. I was a Mean Gene guy even as a young heel fan.

My friend's brother used to do a spot on Mean Gene impersonation. He did a really great Fink too.

But like Heenan, Gene seemed like a guy who was dogging it in WCW. He went from 'likeable interview dude' to 'sleazy huckster' always shilling that darn 900 line.
Yeah, absolutely!!! I never really saw him in WCW that much, but from his WWF/E times, even today ... I still think he's great and love seeing him on TV :)

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
To me mean genE was the original wrestling journalist.

My favorite gene moments, we're right after flair won the 92 rumble, flair was giving his winning promo when gene yells at someone off camera, put that cigarette out! Random.

Another was gene's reaction to jake the snake's promo about slapping Elizabeth and how it was better than sex. Gene pretty much gives jake the boot. Get the hell out of here Roberts!

Guilty pleasures were of course when he was in wcw he would interview flair and be a dirty old man with woman (rip nancy) and Elizabeth.

Say what you want about wcw but when gene jumped to wcw he gave them instant credibility and at their worst gene more than any one else gave them credibility.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To me mean genE was the original wrestling journalist.

My favorite gene moments, we're right after flair won the 92 rumble, flair was giving his winning promo when gene yells at someone off camera, put that cigarette out! Random.

Another was gene's reaction to jake the snake's promo about slapping Elizabeth and how it was better than sex. Gene pretty much gives jake the boot. Get the hell out of here Roberts!

Guilty pleasures were of course when he was in wcw he would interview flair and be a dirty old man with woman (rip nancy) and Elizabeth.

Say what you want about wcw but when gene jumped to wcw he gave them instant credibility and at their worst gene more than any one else gave them credibility.
Oh yeah, I remember that about the cigarette, I always wondered if that was just something he did as part of it, or if he was actually serious about telling someone off there lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mene Gene was a great on air personality. His interviews with the wrestlers always felt convincing from both parties, unlike todays mono-promos backstage with some poor excuse of an announcer.

What I love is the fact that todays WWE interviewers all start off their segments with the classic Gene line ..."joining me, mys guest at this time..."

A true legend and one of the best talkers of that era maybe besides Heenan in terms of announcers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hulk Hogan,excuse me,EXCUSE ME.What in the world are you thinking?
:angel:angel A moment i'll never forget.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
He just has that voice and tone that commands attention. Definitely one of the GOAT when comes to interviewers.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Mene Gene just simply had the "it" factor. Even though he was an interviewer he is still more entertaining than 90 percent of today's WWE roster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts