Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for me, I don't think at the time I really noticed how good a wrestler IRS actually was, he was just 'there' so to speak for me back then, where as now ... looking back, when you watch his matches you can see how well he works in the ring and how good he is at executing and selling moves also, his promo work was also very solid (Possibly why Bray Wyatt is so good at his promo's also) and he did work well alongside Ted Dibiase too as part of Money Inc, which I thought their title run was a pretty decent run, and they held some great matches with people such as Legion Of Doom, Natural Disasters etc..

I think IRS shined the most, during his singles run though, he'd always cut his speech about tax cheats before every match (even as part of Money Inc he did this) ... but I think cause Dibiase was just so awesome and one of the greatest of all time in every way ... while these guys were GREAT as Money Inc, they both were best during singles runs I feel.

So we know IRS is now still working with WWE (You often see him come out on Raw alongside Arn Anderson to break up a fight or whatever), he's often appeared on shows as his IRS character again ... and of course Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt, his sons, are currently having good runs on the main roster and on NXT, so he's very clearly very active within the business, however what are your thoughts of IRS during his active wrestling years?

Again, some questions to answer :

1. Fave match IRS was involved in?

2. Who do you think he had the best chemistry with?

3. Fave memory of all time in regards to IRS?

4. Thoughts on his promo and in ring ability?

5. Hall Of Fame worthy? .... Discuss.

A collection of IRS promo's

A good little squash match from IRS

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
IRS was alright. His best run was probably teaming with Steve Williams in the Varsity Club. He was a good heel. He cheated whenever possible, had a great heel sneer, and just came off as a colossal jerk most of the time. His matches were pretty boring though. Sorry, but I had trouble buying a jumping clothesline or a samoan drop as a finisher even back in the mid-90s. He also loved his restholds. He kind of wrestled like an accountant would, and I'm still not sure if that's really boring or great character work. Random Fact: IRS was my friend's favorite wrestler. I guess he was even weirder than I was.

vs. Rick Steiner (Starrcade 1988)- One of the biggest pops ever came when Rick won the TV title in this match. No lie.

Probably Rick Steiner, odd as it sounds.

Smashing Brutus Beefcake's already broken face. That was so heelish even Jimmy Hart thought it was too much.

He played his character well, but playing that character lent itself to being boring. So I'm basically saying IRS was good at being boring.

Well, he had a better career than Koko B. Ware, but there are dozens of guys I'd rather see in.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man, I remember the whole Brutus Beefcake thing, thats when Hogan came back isn't it and announced he'd be on Brutus's side setting up their new tag team and match against Money Inc lol

·
Banned
1,065 Posts
I feel bad for him. Like you said, a good wrestler but when you think of the ludicrous occupational gimmicks, his is the first to come to mind.

At least with someone like The Goon, they explained why he was in the WWF. That an accountant would be moonlighting as a pro wrestler and we weren't supposed to ask why is something that I honestly remember as being an insult. And I was a little kid.

And I suppose he didn't have much to work with, but his "tax cheat" promos were really corny. He knew how to get heat in the ring, though. That Money Inc/Steiner Brothers program was hot.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought his promo's were pretty solid to be honest, they always got great heat from the crowd too.

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
Not going to lie, I'm a big fan of Mike Rotunda & I really liked the I.R.S. character. Rotunda should have been at least, a 1 time Intercontinental champion.

I really liked Money Inc. vs. the Natural Disasters at Wrestlemania 8.
A few years back when they had a Battle Royal & Irwin won it, until Dibiase came down, handed him a wad of cash & he voluntarily put himself over the top rope. Classic heel moves from two men who knew their characters.

Well he & Dibiase had great chemistry together as a tag team. I thought he always worked quite well with Barry Windham as well as the U.S. Express as well.
As far as opponents went, anyone technical. And he and Scott Hall seemed to have some good in-ring chemistry.

Probably when he "won" the Intercontinental title at the 1994 Royal Rumble. I thought he had finally dethroned Razor.

Rotunda was always pretty good on the mic. And really solid in the ring. As it's been pointed out, he loved his rest holds, but I think that went along with the character & the fact that he sweated a lot. But he could go when he had to.

5. Hall Of Fame worthy?

Five time tag team champion, had some high profile matches, works as a road agent & seems to be very knowledgeable about the business. Rotunda should totally be in the Hall of Fame.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,223 Posts
Not going to lie, I'm a big fan of Mike Rotunda & I really liked the I.R.S. character. Rotunda should have been at least, a 1 time Intercontinental champion.

I really liked Money Inc. vs. the Natural Disasters at Wrestlemania 8.
A few years back when they had a Battle Royal & Irwin won it, until Dibiase came down, handed him a wad of cash & he voluntarily put himself over the top rope. Classic heel moves from two men who knew their characters.

Well he & Dibiase had great chemistry together as a tag team. I thought he always worked quite well with Barry Windham as well as the U.S. Express as well.
As far as opponents went, anyone technical. And he and Scott Hall seemed to have some good in-ring chemistry.

Probably when he "won" the Intercontinental title at the 1994 Royal Rumble. I thought he had finally dethroned Razor.

Rotunda was always pretty good on the mic. And really solid in the ring. As it's been pointed out, he loved his rest holds, but I think that went along with the character & the fact that he sweated a lot. But he could go when he had to.

5. Hall Of Fame worthy?

Five time tag team champion, had some high profile matches, works as a road agent & seems to be very knowledgeable about the business. Rotunda should totally be in the Hall of Fame.
Mike was a pretty solid worker but probably made more hey because of his family ties with Black Jack Mulligan.

He was for years an "up and coming" can't miss star, but his WWF tag title run with Barry Whindham seemed to be the apex of his career. Although he did do a good job resurrecting himself as IRS.

His singles glory days were in Florida. But he will forever in my mind be linked with his horrid "Captain Mike" run in WCW that included several video segments of him and Cactus Jack. A gimmick based on a 70's soft pop duo...really?

1. Favorite Match: Probably his singles match with Ric Stiener.
2. Best Chemistry: With Barry Whindham
3. Favorite Memory: Funny enough the match between he and Whindham vs the Fabulous Ones at Wrestlerock 86.
4. Best as IRS here but never thought he was great.
5. HOF: Maybe but based on WWF standards yes.
BTW isn't he Bray Wyatt's dad? Has no one mentioned that?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I did like the IRS character back in the day. It was ready made for feuds, and as I already wrote, Mike Rotunda also played it well.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
i liked IRS and would have liked to see at least a short IC title run. i didn't think he was THAT big, but he definitely proved himself as a great heel. i just feel that he never really got out of ted's spotlight and made anything of his own. i mean, he was a great heel, but he always came off as second to ted, and i never really took him for anything on that level... it's unfortunate because he was really good, i just felt that he never established himself on his own.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I thought I read your post better than that, I hate it when people don't read the previous threads and repeat things that were made clear...oh well now I am guilty.
haha, no problem :)

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Rotundo was one of the more underrated stars of wrestling back then. Personally, some of my favorite matches of his when he was teaming with Barry Windham during their US Express run in the mid-80s, and later as NWA World TV champ. His matches at that time vs. Sting, Nikita Koloff, and Rick Steiner were some great encounters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought he was great when he tagged up with Barry Windham. And yes he was underrated and would of been nice to of have him in the title hunt when he was active and solo.. I meant the Intercontinental belt when he was I.R.S. in the WW(F)

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I thought he was great when he tagged up with Barry Windham. And yes he was underrated and would of been nice to of have him in the title hunt when he was active and solo.. I meant the Intercontinental belt when he was I.R.S. in the WW(F)
Him and Dibiase were gold as Money Inc. and I thought he played Michael Wallstreet well. Solid heel character with decent in ring ability. I never saw him as championship material as a singles wrestler

·
Banned
810 Posts
Ok, so for me, I don't think at the time I really noticed how good a wrestler IRS actually was, he was just 'there' so to speak for me back then, where as now ... looking back, when you watch his matches you can see how well he works in the ring and how good he is at executing and selling moves also, his promo work was also very solid (Possibly why Bray Wyatt is so good at his promo's also) and he did work well alongside Ted Dibiase too as part of Money Inc, which I thought their title run was a pretty decent run, and they held some great matches with people such as Legion Of Doom, Natural Disasters etc..

I think IRS shined the most, during his singles run though, he'd always cut his speech about tax cheats before every match (even as part of Money Inc he did this) ... but I think cause Dibiase was just so awesome and one of the greatest of all time in every way ... while these guys were GREAT as Money Inc, they both were best during singles runs I feel.

So we know IRS is now still working with WWE (You often see him come out on Raw alongside Arn Anderson to break up a fight or whatever), he's often appeared on shows as his IRS character again ... and of course Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt, his sons, are currently having good runs on the main roster and on NXT, so he's very clearly very active within the business, however what are your thoughts of IRS during his active wrestling years?

A collection of IRS promo's

A good little squash match from IRS

Honestly, I got nothing here. His matches were usually solid.....but I can't think of a real standout. I'm talking about his WWF I.R.S. run in the 90's.

His chemistry with Dibiase was outstanding, in Money Inc. Great team.

When he destroyed Tatanka's head-dress and stuffed the feathers in Tatanka's mouth, while Tatanka was tied up in the ropes and helpless. Classic heel thing to do. He was a pretty despicable character. Smashed Beefcake's surgically repaired face with a briefcase too. He definitely wasn't a "cool heel". He was an unlikable jerk....which was the point!

Very good promo ability. He knew how to rile the crowd up. Solid wrestler.

If it was a "real" Hall of Fame, with real standards like actual sports? No. He was good, not great. But with what the hall of fame actually is? Then, absolutely.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great gimmick and was best as a tag team wrestler although did ok in singles as well. I feel he should have been a transitional IC champ in WWE and held the belt for 2-3 months but he had some singles success as TV champ in NWA which he carried quite well. Overall good worker who could cut a decent promo. Always a pleasure to watch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts