Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking something in this line as Smackdown is moving to USA network.

Reduce Raw to 2 hours. Then, divide the segments of the shows in such a way that a structure is maintained. I was thinking about a structure that looks like the following.

There should be one PPV only, every 4 weeks. The structure goes like this.

Week 1:

RAW : Featuring World, Women's and Cruiserweight Title
SD : Featuring IC, Tag and Hardcore Title

Week 2:

RAW : Featuring IC, Tag and Hardcore Title
SD : Featuring World, Women's and Cruiserweight Title

Week 3:

RAW : Featuring World, Women's and Cruiserweight Title
SD : Featuring IC, Tag and Hardcore Title

Week 4:

RAW : Featuring IC, Tag and Hardcore Title
SD : Featuring World, Women's and Cruiserweight Title

What this structure means

In week 1, that is, the night after the PPV, RAW will be heavily focused on World, Women's and Cruiserweight Title. There will be multiple segments featuring talents and angles related to these titles. Whereas the IC, Tag and Hardcore title angle will be at minimal. Like, there will be only short promos to promote events on SD featuring them.
Similarly on SD, whatever matches and events promoted through those short promos will be heavily featured and the other three title angles will be given minimal time.

This pattern continues.

But on week 2, the three titles heavily focused on Raw will be focused on SD and vice versa.

Why I thought of changing the structure on alternate weeks is to make both the shows look well. So that, if world champion is main eventing on Raw for one week, next week, he will be featured on the main event of SD and not on Raw.
Similarly, IC title will be doing the switch as well. IC title will act like the retired World Heavyweight title.

As a result, go home show of SD before PPV will be the one featuring the world champion.

Also, idea of bringing back CW and HC titles are for the lower tier superstars. Let the cream of the crop compete for World and IC titles. CW and HC titles can be those titles 'others' can aspire for.

This whole thing might sound confusing, but I hope I am making sense lol.

What are your opinions?

·
Welcome To The Jungle
2,010 Posts
If they really want to revitalize Smackdown, there's 1 very obvious thing that would do it, another brand split

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they really want to revitalize Smackdown, there's 1 very obvious thing that would do it, another brand split
They dont have enough talent to pull off a full blown brand split now. Also, that will lead to the reintroduction of 'World' title, which would be a bad idea.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More micromanaging yay! :vince5
I'm just talking about dividing the time for segments and HOW much they are going to be featured. I believe what I suggested is better than the monotonous way of giving all the time to a selected few for both the shows and killing off the momentum of all the other angles. This way, it's better distributed.

Yeah, it's micromanaging.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It in all honest I think the lacking of having more people doing something is something your post highlighted. I mean the hardcore title alone gave everybody a chance at something to do. Hell even the Godfather' Ho got involved.

·
Welcome To The Jungle
2,010 Posts
They dont have enough talent to pull off a full blown brand split now. Also, that will lead to the reintroduction of 'World' title, which would be a bad idea.
You make new talent, that's the idea and a world title would be fine as long as it was on a particular show, having a world title now would be a bad idea but if there was a brand split, you'd need it

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It in all honest I think the lacking of having more people doing something is something your post highlighted. I mean the hardcore title alone gave everybody a chance at something to do. Hell even the Godfather' Ho got involved.
Yeah. Exactly. It, along with the CW title can do wonders for the lower tier of wrestlers and can make them interesting.

You make new talent, that's the idea and a world title would be fine as long as it was on a particular show, having a world title now would be a bad idea but if there was a brand split, you'd need it
Yeah. But new talent can be made through IC title as well, if IC title is booked like the old World Heavyweight title. In the past also, World title was booked beneath the WWE title and this makes the World champion lesser of the two.
So, I think it's better to offcially have a second tier title, rather than having an inferior 'world' champion, which is actually an insult as far as I am considered. It's just like Matt Hardy considering him as a 'world' champion when he was holding the ECW title, years back.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Rotating the titles between shows will only result in fans tuning in for the shows that feature their 'wrestlers' which will impact rating and expose which titles aren't a draw which can be inadvertantly affecting the lower card wrestlers since their exposure may be a lesser draw.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts

They have approx 50 guys on the main roster, not counting the ladies. Quite literally they have more talent than they know what to do with.

They have plenty of talent for a brand split. They just don't have talent that they have elevated enough.

However, I agree a brand split is a bad idea.

A way to limit overexposure is pretty simple.
  • 1st get rid of the 20min promos by the same people every week.
  • 2nd..Stop reminding us every 2 seconds of what Roman Reigns, the Authority, Cena or whoever is doing at the moment.
  • 3rd - Stop running the same matches over and over and then expecting us to care when the ppv matches are just repeats of Raw.
  • 4th - ok, now this one is really crazy. Cut back on the TV time of the "main guys" (Reigns, Authority, Cena, etc). Then, take all those guys and girls sitting the back doing nothing. Write some storylines, angles and matches for them and use that time put them on TV.
Problem solved without a brand split.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts
Brand split would be a complete failure. RAW is the only brand that matters. Having second rate champions on a taped show helps nothing.

The only way WWE fixes a number of their problems is by eliminating an hour from RAW.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
What we need really is someone doing what Kevin Owens did with the NXT Title, he saw that bigger than the US Title I believe. We need a couple of decent talents doing that with the US and Intercontinental titles giving them more respect.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If NXT 'took over' Smackdown, there would be no shortage of guys to pull off a Brand Split.

However, I think you could cut down on overexposure with a ranking system. The first week or two should be getting contenders named. Then a week of promos/run ins. Then some kind of brawl. Then PPV. Opponents never fought in the ring on free tv.

Expand the titles as mentioned by the original poster, and you could further cut down on overexposure.

You can still have grudge matches too. If you want Owens and Ambrose to have a 3-PPV program, have them fight and scheme to become contender AGAIN. Instead of assumed contendership because they don't like each other. You could put a pause on feuds this way too. Maybe Owens loses his contendership match after Rumble. Now Del Rio is facing Ambrose or whoever. Owens gets contendership between fast lane and Mania and the feud is rekindled. Becomes a bigger feud because it 'keeps' coming back up. Owens wins the title. Ambrose becomes contender AGAIN in a few months. Drive home that they're equals. Rivals.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
No a second world title would be a bad idea even with a brand split. The WWE Champion should be the champion of WWE, not just half of it.

·
Registered
20,612 Posts
Idea not for me, it comes from a good place. But not really for it. Because the set pattern just allows them to fall into a formula. Not to mention ua as hardcore fans would find it even easier to predict and now when we want to watch a particular week.

The best bet is to just cut down match time on Raw and to dedicate that to building the other PPV matches. Other than the main event no match should go past 5 let alone 10-15 unless it's a tournament or title match.

Raw and Smackdown should spend most of its time building the next PPV through dialogue not action.

·
Bleep, bloop, bloam, goodbye to your home.
7,724 Posts
OP has nice ideas but Hardcore title ain't coming back in this PG Enviroment. All they require is storylines that continue from feuds into another with IC/US belts. You dont necessarily need to have cruiserweight title either, altough that would make certain high flying matches more interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts