Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me who finds the HHH/Austin rivalry in 2000/2001 that started sometime before survivor series and ended at no way out to be one of the greatest rivalries of all time? I never really see mention of this rivalry anymore when people look back at HHH or Austin's career so I guess not many people care about it? For me the intensity between the 2 was just awesome and the match promos are still one of the best of all time in my opinion.

I mean look at this just too good,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-cTg-w-L0M

And then this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY7xoz358as

·
Banned
1,065 Posts
3 Stages of Hell was epic. Probably only the match with Bret at WM13 and the big one with Rock at WM17 take a greater stage in all-time Austin classics.

However, one can't help but consider the sloppy booking that started the angle. They said Rikishi ran Austin over, he gave his reasons, the fans shit on it so they just start off new with "Well, Rikishi was just behind the wheel and it was all Triple H's idea"?

It reaked of HHH squeezing his way into another big money match and the reboot of the angle always struck me as hasty and awkward. That hurts its standing IMO.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 Stages of Hell was epic. Probably only the match with Bret at WM13 and the big one with Rock at WM17 take a greater stage in all-time Austin classics.

However, one can't help but consider the sloppy booking that started the angle. They said Rikishi ran Austin over, he gave his reasons, the fans shit on it so they just start off new with "Well, Rikishi was just behind the wheel and it was all Triple H's idea"?

It reaked of HHH squeezing his way into another big money match and the reboot of the angle always struck me as hasty and awkward. That hurts its standing IMO.
Rikishi was just not a strong enough opponent for stone cold and he always looked "weak". The mistake was to get rikishi into a feud with austin to begin with I think.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Great rivalry? No. It was good though. I enjoyed the "who ran over austin?" angle, but other than the Survivor Series match with the great ending it was a forgettable feud, which is probably why it is a forgotten rivalry. It also made the austin heel turn even more stupid, align with the guy who tried to make your life misery for years and also with the guy who not only masterminded running you over once, but tried it twice at said survivor series.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,433 Posts
What, because Austin vs Rikishi just smelled like money and big buyrates? Storyline-wise, it only made sense for HHH to be behind it, and WWE followed through on that logic.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Did you people actually watch wrestling or not back then????Just because that idiot Jim Cornette said it doesn't make it true.

Stone Cold returning should have been huge.Instead WWE destroyed it by placing him in a feud with Rikishi.It was only after HHH got inserted in that feud that it became interesting again.Even though Rock was the champion,Austin vs HHH stole the show.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts

Stone Cold vs Bret Hart is the most forgotten rivalry.

Austin vs Bret had a rivalry that almost lasted an entire year.It paved the way for The Attitude Era.

WWE has brainwashed people into thinking Shawn Michaels was Bret's greatest rival even though they had only one proper match between match between 1994 and 1997.That's right.They faced each other just once in a span of 45 months.But somehow due to the Montreal Screwjob and real life hatred,WWE are trying to convince people to think Bret vs Shawn is one of the greatest rivalries of all time.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Did you people actually watch wrestling or not back then????Just because that idiot Jim Cornette said it doesn't make it true.

Stone Cold returning should have been huge.Instead WWE destroyed it by placing him in a feud with Rikishi.It was only after HHH got inserted in that feud that it became interesting again.Even though Rock was the champion,Austin vs HHH stole the show.
On paper it really wasn't a bad idea. HHH and Rock were really the only 2 candidates who could have tried to run over Austin. Rikishi is Rock's cousin and you'd just never in a million years expect Rikishi to be the driver or working with HHH. That's also why it didn't work. Didn't have the star power or believability.

HHH v Austin after Survivor Series was a great feud though. I loved the 3 stages of Hell feud.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

Stone Cold vs Bret Hart is the most forgotten rivalry.

Austin vs Bret had a rivalry that almost lasted an entire year.It paved the way for The Attitude Era.
It is sad that the only thing that seems to be remembered is the WM13 match, but Austin drew some enormous heat in the feud and,IMO, this is where he proved that he had what it takes to be the top guy. I had my doubts at first about whether or not Austin was the right guy to bring Bret back to feud with initially. I figured it should have been Shawn, but Austin proved me wrong big time. If you remove the real life Bret/Shawn heat and judge strictly based on on screen work Bret/Austin easily wins as Bret's best feud and Austin's 2nd. Yes, I prefer Bret/Austin to Rock/Austin.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I think Austin/HHH had very good chemistry together. SOmeone correct me if I am wrong on my timeline here, but when HHH tore his quad and they had to stop the 2 man power trip, it really stopped a lot of momentum these guys had going. I think that if that storyline could have played out in it's entirety that they could have had a very special feud.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
It's really odd to me looking back that we never got Austin v HHH or Rock v HHH at Wrestlemania.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
It's really odd to me looking back that we never got Austin v HHH or Rock v HHH at Wrestlemania.
No Rock/HHH has always bothered me. I think that they each had their best chemistry with each other.

·
Banned
1,065 Posts
What, because Austin vs Rikishi just smelled like money and big buyrates? Storyline-wise, it only made sense for HHH to be behind it, and WWE followed through on that logic.
They committed to a storyline and then went completely in a different direction. Whether or not Rikishi was good (I agree he wasn't), they made the mistake of picking him in their whodunnit angle.

To build it up as THE angle of the time and then shift everything to Triple H after a month or so may have made financial sense in the short term, but it is hard to praise an angle that started as an exit plan from a failed one.

A lack of effort to follow-through or make sense on storylines is why many of us don't tune in consistently anymore.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
No Rock/HHH has always bothered me. I think that they each had their best chemistry with each other.
Watch Backlash 2000. Imagine that main event and ending at Wrestlemania. That would have been one of the biggest moments in wrestling history.

·
Banned
1,065 Posts

The Rock was not the champion during the HHH/Austin feud. Kurt Angle was. What was your first question in this post again?

But it is a hysterical sentiment considering the source is an embarrassing mark for Austin and HHH and tries to subtly degrade The Rock. Certainly fits the WOAT narrative.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The Rock was not the champion during the HHH/Austin feud. Kurt Angle was. What was your first question in this post again?

But it is a hysterical sentiment considering the source is an embarrassing mark for Austin and HHH and tries to subtly degrade The Rock. Certainly fits the WOAT narrative.
Didn't Angle win the title from Rock the same PPV Austin and HHH had a match?

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,323 Posts
Because of his position in the corporation HHH almost never gets mentioned for the best match, best feud, or biggest star. Anytime any thing is said positively about him, people come back with the whole "he only got there because of his wife.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts