And er I had a couple others but ive forgot lol
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Banned
201 Posts
What is the IWC?

What does kayfabe mean?

Is 'mark' the same as 'stan'?

And er I had a couple others but ive forgot lol
Iwc is the Internet fans aka Internet wrestling community. Kayfabe means it's part of the story line. Like Chris jerichos recent injury via orton punt would be considered a kayfabe injury. And a mark is similar to a fan. When soneone marks out they start cheering for the wrestler so much they almost forget that what happened was scripted

· Registered
366 Posts
Kayfabe, as explained, means its part of the show. When its not part of the show, they will use the term 'shoot'. Like for example an interview with a wrestlers character is a kayfabe interview, but an interview with the person behind the character, the real person, is a shoot interview. Go on youtube and search for some shoot interviews, its good fun to watch your beloved wrestlers out of character.

· Banned
201 Posts
Go on youtube and search for some shoot interviews, its good fun to watch your beloved wrestlers out of character.
Especially cm punk. You find out that he is pretty much the biggest prick in the world ;);)

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kayfabe, as explained, means its part of the show. When its not part of the show, they will use the term 'shoot'. Like for example an interview with a wrestlers character is a kayfabe interview, but an interview with the person behind the character, the real person, is a shoot interview. Go on youtube and search for some shoot interviews, its good fun to watch your beloved wrestlers out of character.
Interesting so where did the word kayfabe even come from?

· Registered
366 Posts
From wikipedia:

"The origin of the term is uncertain. Pro wrestling can trace some of its stylistic origins back to carnivals and catch wrestling, where the term "kayfabe" is thought to have originated as carny slang for "protecting the secrets of the business". With money tight, a carny would call home collect, telling the operator their name was "Kay Fabian". This was code letting the people at home know they had made it safely to the next town. The family would then deny the call. This was a method of communicating without paying for the cost of a phone call or telegram.

However, another tradition holds that "kayfabe" was merely Pig Latin for "be fake", and thus an instruction by one carny to another not to break character at the moment a "rube" or "mark" was close by."

· Premium Member
286 Posts
I opened this thread expecting the person who started it to just be getting ripped a new asshole. I was pleasantly suprised seeing that there is some helpful people on here. Thank you to the non assholes.

· Banned
201 Posts
Well the term originated from japan. So it means "something not for the audience to know". Something along these lines in japanese. EDIT: well I see other explanations for the word. So I guess no one knows for certain

· Registered
206 Posts
Heres a few more terms you might come across

Juice Job: When a performer cuts themselves following a chair shot or a turnbuckle collision
Sell: The art of reacting to the moves performed on you, such as moaning in pain, grabbing an 'Injured' limb, etc
Heat: Used to describe the negative reaction a performer recieves, be it the level of boos they recieve when in character or how they are viewed backstage (for example, Triple has recieved heat from his fellow performers in the past for allegedley holding people back and inserting himself, time after time, into the main event)
Pop: The opposite of Heat on a performance level, the positive reaction a performer receives from the crowd
Blade: A small cut of Razor Blade used by performers to cut themselves prior to a juice job, usually concealed by the Referee
Bump: The act of taking a move, usually applied to something like a performer being thrown off the turnbuckle and hitting the floor
Sandbagging: The act of non-cooperation during a match, numerous times this has resulted in injury (in 2002, Hardcore Holly 'Sandbagged' Brock Lesnar's Powerbomb and thus ended up landing on his head and suffering a neck injury) motives vary, although usually its due to one performer feeling that the other performer doesn't deserve his spot in the wrestling company.
Push: A term usually applied to when a performer goes from wrestling opening matches, to main eventing PPV's and/or winning titles

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Coined by Eminem, you know his song stan about a guy that loves him so much that he makes himself look like him and then eventually kills himself and his pregnant wife cuz he couldnt be with him lol

Im not sure I think they only use it in hip hop circles. But yeh mark is kinda the same thing I guess.

· Premium Member
90 Posts
I opened this thread expecting the person who started it to just be getting ripped a new asshole. I was pleasantly suprised seeing that there is some helpful people on here. Thank you to the non assholes.
Agreed! This was a very pleasant surprise.

And when you see people say "Cena sucks" it literally means Cena sucks. :D
This made me LOL.

· Registered
91 Posts
While 'stan' did origonate from that song it is more commonly used now as a anagram for stalking/fanning someone.

Like you might say, "Wow,I didn't know that Hulk Hogan beat Yokozuna like 10 seconds later for the belt! OMG, I'm a terrible stan of HH!"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.