Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't realize today was his 10 year anniversary until I logged onto WWE.com and saw this article:

The date April 25, 2012 marks an important milestone in the history of WWE, standing as the decade anniversary of The Viper!

Long before Randy Orton became The Legend Killer, WWE’s Apex Predator, an intricate member of Evolution or a nine-time World Champion, the serpentine Superstar emerged under the iconic SmackDown fist set for the first time to battle Hardcore Holly.

Even then, the WWE Universe could tell that the electrifying third-generation Superstar was on the fast track to greatness. Relive his first monumental moment in the squared circle now.
Orton has accomplished a lot in the last 10 years with titles and some impressive matches. I believe his feud and match with Mick Foley at Backlash 04 is still the most significant match of his career thus far. He earned so much respect on that night and rose to the occasion when he needed to with a legend like Foley. Orton's had other great matches with Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Christian and others.

My favorite moment from Orton is either the night he gave Mr. McMahon the Punt on Raw in 2009, the night he became the youngest World Champion or when he won the WWE Championship for the second time in one night at No Mercy '07 because I was at ringside to witness that happen + the LMS match with HHH was amazing.

So discuss The Age of Orton over the last decade.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
And he just turned 32. Remarkable.

·
Changed his sig
1,811 Posts
Always thought its a shame for him that his first title reign doesnt get much mention due to it being a victory over Benoit that gave it to him.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
An extremely successful and amazing career to say the least. It sucks that he's doing nothing at the moment, though. He needs to turn heel again because he's a lot more entertaining that way.

And he's also been a great wrestler throughout the years. So many great matches I don't know where to start. Mick Foley, Chris Benoit, Triple H, John Cena, Christian, Chris Jericho, Edge, RVD, Kurt Angle are just some of the opponents he's had great matches with.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I always thought that they should've kept him heel and let him have his run with The World Title in 2004. He should've been the top heel. I really hated his feud with Triple H

...all of his feuds with Triple H actually

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
He sure has evolved since the first time I saw him.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
He's already had a hall of fame career thus far and is still very young for Wrestling standards. Even though he hasn't had any type of momentum lately, I still believe he's coming off the best year of his career in terms of in ring work. He had excellent matches all around with so many different guys on the roster in 2011 and he was my WOTY. He just needs creative to get behind something else because this viper character clearly isn't working right now. It will be interesting to see the next big step he takes in his career because he's obviously in a huge slump at the moment. I feel like he needs one more crushing run as a heel before his career is finished in order to put him in that secondary icon status when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Damn its been 10 years already. Gratz to Orton for having a great career in the WWE and lets hope he has another great 10 years. There needs to be another Age of Orton.

·
Registered
996 Posts
He's already had a hall of fame career thus far and is still very young for Wrestling standards. Even though he hasn't had any type of momentum lately, I still believe he's coming off the best year of his career in terms of in ring work. He had excellent matches all around with so many different guys on the roster in 2011 and he was my WOTY. He just needs creative to get behind something else because this viper character clearly isn't working right now. It will be interesting to see the next big step he takes in his career because he's obviously in a huge slump at the moment. I feel like he needs one more crushing run as a heel before his career is finished in order to put him in that secondary icon status when it's all said and done.
Goo Points. I think orton is one of the more overlooked in ring talents and has spent the last few months putting over guys

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
10yrs is a long time. I was an orton supporter before the "viper" gimmick made its appearance but since I've come to care less and less about him.

Sure he's got some good accomplishments and he's had some classic moments but he's been in the E 10 years and he doesn't have a major Wrestlemania moment, an iconic TV segment (other than being booted from evolution), or a truly legendary promo, its almost like he's done nothing at all. He feels like a midcard act that was given a lot of world championships.

On a lighter note I did enjoy his title run in 2007 as a heel. His match w/ HBK at SS was classic and so was his RR match with Jeff Hardy but other than that I don't really care about any of his title runs.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
10 years already? Wow. Just looking at him then compared to now, he's really grown alot as a promo. He may have had a more fleshed out gimmick as the Legend Killer, but I think Orton's been at his best in recent years. He's really learned how to make all his mannerisms and in-ring work jump off the screen.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Wow, he's still young too. I was a huge Orton mark back when he was the Legend Killer. I then lost interest in him up until last year. Not only did he provide quality matches but towards the end of the year he began putting others over and really worked on his promo. He's matured a lot and is one of the best workers in wrestling today.

·
The Man
25,723 Posts
10 years. Being groomed by HHH winning the title so young then feuding with HHH and RKOing Vince, Steph spitting in Legends faces, being so dominant for a decade the guy should easily be bigger than Cena yet he isnt even the biggest on Smackdown atm wow.

·
Banned
561 Posts
10yrs is a long time. I was an orton supporter before the "viper" gimmick made its appearance but since I've come to care less and less about him.

Sure he's got some good accomplishments and he's had some classic moments but he's been in the E 10 years and he doesn't have a major Wrestlemania moment, an iconic TV segment (other than being booted from evolution), or a truly legendary promo, its almost like he's done nothing at all. He feels like a midcard act that was given a lot of world championships.

On a lighter note I did enjoy his title run in 2007 as a heel. His match w/ HBK at SS was classic and so was his RR match with Jeff Hardy but other than that I don't really care about any of his title runs.
Iconic TV segment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QkMsnkDjxo

ledgendary promo
not sure if he has a ledgendary promo, but then again he's only 32, he still has time

wrestlemania moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RNIMUVjZLI

1 - 20 of 107 Posts