Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed that the main title holders and challengers lately are around 220-240lbs and are reasonably sized guys.

I'm just wondering why the WWE stopped pushing the 'monsters' like Kane, Big Show etc and even back in the day when there were people like Kevin Nash, Hulk Hogan, Batista even.

Not that i dont enjoy Punk, Byran, Jericho etc but im just wondering WWE's reasoning behind it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But am i the only one that misses world title matches between people like Kane & Undertaker (example)?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used that a an example, Undertaker should still be a major player in title proceedings, what his personal feelings are, is up too him, matches like Batista vs HHH were great, the rivalries between people like that were alot more intense than Byran vs Sheamus, which I still believe was one of the worst matches at WM ever.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
The company is World Wrestling Entertainment. The fans ultimately will judge the title matches. WWE does like to push the bigger guys and guys they like, but when the fans are more entertained by the smaller and more athletic guys then that's what matches we will see. On top of that, you have to think about reliability. Considering the big guys like Taker, Triple H, Kane, Show, etc are in the twilight of their career that means WWE needs new big guys. So they can take a chance on Clay, Ryback, Ryan, or Jackson or they can go with the reliable route of at least decent matches with Orton, Sheamus, Cena, Punk, Ziggler, and Bryan. Reliability is a big thing in WWE. Ever since Lesnar left them high left a dry in 2004 after a 2 year monster push, WWE has been afraid to take chances. So they go the safe route, in the ring and behind the scenes. So it's a lot of reasons, but faith in the talent is a big reason.

Reactions: A-C-P

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
The company is World Wrestling Entertainment. The fans ultimately will judge the title matches. WWE does like to push the bigger guys and guys they like, but when the fans are more entertained by the smaller and more athletic guys then that's what matches we will see. On top of that, you have to think about reliability. Considering the big guys like Taker, Triple H, Kane, Show, etc are in the twilight of their career that means WWE needs new big guys. So they can take a chance on Clay, Ryback, Ryan, or Jackson or they can go with the reliable route of at least decent matches with Orton, Sheamus, Cena, Punk, Ziggler, and Bryan. Reliability is a big thing in WWE. Ever since Lesnar left them high left a dry in 2004 after a 2 year monster push, WWE has been afraid to take chances. So they go the safe route, in the ring and behind the scenes. So it's a lot of reasons, but faith in the talent is a big reason.
This is spot on here IMO. Nothing more to add really.

·
#OVER
11,548 Posts
Better workers, more charisma, more versatile and just more talent in general. People don't want to see muscle-bound giants anymore, they just want entertainment and generally the smaller wrestlers are better at doing that.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It's because they can actually deliver good matches. It was okay to have the big men in matches back in, say, the attitude era, as the crowd would be rabid and would make the matches that much more special. Now that the crowd is more subdued (for the most part) matches involving Kane and Big Show fucking suck, because they're slow and boring, and don't have that crowd responce that makes a match great. Talented workers like Punk, Bryan and Jericho can bring excitement in the ring when entertains even the worst crowd and gets them into the match.

That's my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
What? They push people all the time that the fans don't care about. It has nothing to do with the fans, but Vince's plans he has laid out. See Del Rio in multiple title matches and he's still getting them today, and Sheamus in his first 2 reigns as champion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just think they're taking too long to push the bigger guys that need pushing, just because Lesnar left em high and dry doesnt mean they should be punishing every other superstar that needs a push.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
What? They push people all the time that the fans don't care about. It has nothing to do with the fans, but Vince's plans he has laid out. See Del Rio in multiple title matches and he's still getting them today, and Sheamus in his first 2 reigns as champion.
And then what happened? Sheamus was slowly demoted as he didn't get the reactions they wanted and Del Rio was slowed down, only to be picked back up around MITB when Sin Cara and Rey Mysterio were becoming unreliable. Del Rio is being pushed partly due to his Mexican heritage. To say that Del Rio is the sole reason there are Hispanic viewers is stupid, but WWE likes to have a local guy for their tours, and Mexico is a good market to them. Even now, Del Rio and Hunico are the sole Mexican talents active at the moment. So WWE goes with the guy that can carry his own on the mic. And who else is there for Sheamus to defend the title against? Logically Del Rio works. Rhodes isn't there yet, Barrett is hurt, Bryan has just about run his course with him, Mark Henry has already fought Sheamus all summer, and Jericho isn't guaranteed to be here much longer. So Del Rio is essentially the best and most credible option available. Sheamus after his initial push was demoted to the midcard. After the fans started cheering him, Sheamus turned face and got some great reactions. Nine months later he became champ. WWE does decide who they want to push, but they won't stay on top long if they do not get the fans' approval.

·
FEED ME LESS!
3,834 Posts
those big guys that you speak of, just arent as good anymore, they havent had big guys worth that time in a while.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If their was a guy that had Punk's in ring ability and mic skills then no doubt he would be champ not Punk. It's more of a fact that their best guys are average size, it wasn't Vince's choice at all!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I used that a an example, Undertaker should still be a major player in title proceedings, what his personal feelings are, is up too him, matches like Batista vs HHH were great, the rivalries between people like that were alot more intense than Byran vs Sheamus, which I still believe was one of the worst matches at WM ever.
Taker only works 1 day a yr so what the hell are you talking about him being in the title picture?

·
Registered
221 Posts
No way punk, Santino and cody are 220 pounds. The reason is mainly that most of the young big guys sucks, but you can see they try to push big guys like brodus, ryback and the asain guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts