Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading a thread from this site on how this horrific event affected WWF declined. I would like to hear you guys thoughts on this whether you agree or not?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
The WWF was already declining by that point tbh, due to a culmination of things starting with Raws move to TNN in late 2000, then Austins heel turns, Rock leaving for a good chunk of 01 and the poorly executed invasion angle not turning out to be remotely as good as people imagined it would be. 9/11 probably didnt help though, or the name change in 2002.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The only thing 9/11 affected in WWE was that Raw is War became simply Raw again, and began the shift to a more overtly patriotic WWE.

WWF becoming WWE was due to Vince not accepting a settlement that allowed the company to be known as WWFE.

The decline in attendance is largely linked to the wrestling bubble bursting in 2001 with the purchase of WCW & ECW, the disappointment of the Invasion angle, and Austin and the Rock not being around as much.

And the decline in viewership is because WWF left USA for TNN to pull off edgier angles (i.e. HLA, Katie Vick), the original brand split partitioning a lot of the starpower away to Smackdown (as WWE was STACKED back then with starpower), and continued to go down during HHH’s reign of terror.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There was a noticeable drop off in house show attendance from late September 2001 onwards but that's hardly indicative of 9/11 rather than the product just getting weaker with the end of the wrestling boom. They didn't even sell out a title match between Austin and Rock during that same time which raised a lot of red flags.

·
Registered
564 Posts
THE REASON WHY WWF RATINGS WENT DOWN ---------------------------------
There was a noticeable drop off in house show attendance from late September 2001 onwards but that's hardly indicative of 9/11 rather than the product just getting weaker with the end of the wrestling boom. They didn't even sell out a title match between Austin and Rock during that same time which raised a lot of red flags.
SCARY lol when was this house show ?

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,524 Posts
The X-Files was canceled mere months after 9/11.

Correlation ain't the same as causality, people.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
WCW and ECW both closed within about a week of each other in 2001. I would say that affected business more than 9/11 long term. I know there was some hesitancy to attend large stadium shows for awhile after 9/11 but we had one of the largest WrestleManias just six months later. They drew over 13,000 for Unforgiven just two weeks after 9/11 in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
How the hell are the two even correlated? One literally has nothing to do with the other. Why in the world are you possibly asking this question nearly 20 years too late?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The only negative thing was Stephanie McMahon embarrassing herself and the WWE. Other than that 9/11 had nothing to do with the WWE going downhill.

·
Registered
94 Posts
SCARY lol when was this house show ?
I believe it was October 14, 2001. They did about 11,000 in MSG for Austin/Rock in a title match which they advertised for weeks beforehand. They also addressed the terrorist attacks on this show with JR coming out and doing an opening promo.

The only negative thing was Stephanie McMahon embarrassing herself and the WWE. Other than that 9/11 had nothing to do with the WWE going downhill.

Still one of the stupidest promos ever in the wrestling biz lol

·
Registered
564 Posts
I believe it was October 14, 2001. They did about 11,000 in MSG for Austin/Rock in a title match which they advertised for weeks beforehand. They also addressed the terrorist attacks on this show with JR coming out and doing an opening promo.

Still one of the stupidest promos ever in the wrestling biz lol

what was the reactions backstage for MSG pulling in only 11k in a 20 K venue?

I went to a house show in summer 2004 at MSG and about 49% of the arena was empty, It was HHH vs Beniot headlining

·
Registered
94 Posts
what was the reactions backstage for MSG pulling in only 11k in a 20 K venue?

I went to a house show in summer 2004 at MSG and about 49% of the arena was empty, It was HHH vs Beniot headlining
Couldn't tell you exactly, but I think the fact that those two didn't sell out MSG or even the Survivor Series in Greensboro, NC a month later showed that the writing was on the wall. Probably validated Vince's decision to bring Hogan and company back in 2002.

2004 was a pretty awful year for them, Benoit and Eddie weren't drawing flies as champions. A near half-empty MSG though... it never got that bad even in 96-97.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Couldn't tell you exactly, but I think the fact that those two didn't sell out MSG or even the Survivor Series in Greensboro, NC a month later showed that the writing was on the wall. Probably validated Vince's decision to bring Hogan and company back in 2002.

2004 was a pretty awful year for them, Benoit and Eddie weren't drawing flies as champions. A near half-empty MSG though... it never got that bad even in 96-97.
That is around the time Vince and Hogan started talking again

Yeah I am not lying, it was around July 2004, half the Garden was empty I remember not being impressed this was my first experience being in MSG, having been to sold out Fleet Centers and Staple Centers

81 Posts
9/11 just happened the same year in which they shit the bed on the invasion. Also the attitude era came to an end a few months earlier with an ill-advised Austin heel turn. The decline was already set in motion and everything would have turned out exactly the same regardless of 9/11.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
It would make sense that shows were less attended though people obviously would of been abit more afraid to go to public events. I'm not saying thats why, but I don't see that being ruled out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts