Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WindUp
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in the process of rewatching wrestlemanias
im sure you can all agree with me that wrestlemania 1 - 5 was amazing (thats where i am at the moment)

my question/statement

whats different between wrestling at that generation to now? i read so much that wrestling is crap these days and not as good as when macho man, roudy roddy, and hulk were the main eventers.

but yea for there day they were all legends, but now that i rewatching them, roudy roddy sounds like a girl, and macho man just sounds stupid, the same goes for alot of the other legends, ricky steamboat, king kong bundy, Andre the Giant etc

these days you have cena, orton, shemus, ...mis, edge, wade barret etc

are they really that bad, when compared against wrestlers of yesta year.

im NOT talking about attitude, we all know it was amazing and will never be beat, but is wwe really that bad today?? i think not

also on a side note, manias 1 - 5 i saw loads and loads of kids in stadium, Hulk hogan even refers to them as his little hulkamanics (ref see hulks promo before his match against macho man)..so why all the beef when it comes to cena about cenation being mostly kids?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I am also watching all Manias again (Just finished 13), and i disagree with you about 1-5 beeing amazing. Of-Course i am a fan of the technical wrestling, and maybe biased, but there were not that many great matches at those 5 shows.

That said i prefer the current product to the 80s WWF product by far. Better wrestlers overall and better matches

·
Really too good to wrestle in front of all you pri
1,660 Posts
Can't really say, I wasn't alive during the 80's. But I do know I've watched a lot of what I consider to be 5* matches from the mid-late 1980's, from NWA/WCW and WWF (usually involving either Flair or Steamboat. Both of them together is wrestling gold). I haven't seen any from the current generation in WWE.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
NWA/WCW were great in the 80s, but WWF....not so much.

Reactions: Panzer

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The wrestlers you just mentioned were far better workers than most of today's current crop. I'm not a fan of 80's WWF, I'm more of an NWA guy, but those guys could really tell a story. The booking was better as well.

And Piper sounded like a girl? WTF? fpalm

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
So Wrestlemanias 1 - 5 were amazing but the wrestlers sounded stupid and Piper sounded like a girl.Ok...

For the record, Wrestlemania 2 was beyond awful.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Wrestlemania's 1 and 2 were god awful! And that is the era in which i grew up. Back in the day seeing them for the first time i'm sure i thought different.

After watching WWF/WWE for 25 years, it's actually hard to watch WM1 and 2 now - the matches are so slow and boring. Things start to improve WM3 onwards though for me.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
WWF was pretty much shitty in 80s. NWA was much better promotion back then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think this can apply to almost anything in culture. I am in my forties and of course I feel the wrestling in the 1980's is bettter than today, then again I feel that the music from the 70's and 80's is a lot better then today. Wrestlemania III is my all time favorite Wrestlemania and the Savage vs Steamboat is one of my favorite matches. Things were different in the
1980's then today like no Raw or Smackdown, we had weekly shows, and of course we had no internet we had "Apter" magazines to read. That is why I buy the DVD's with matches from the 1980's on them.

Thank for your time in reading this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The biggest difference between then and now is that there were so few PPV's (4 - 5 a year) this meant a massive build up for every PPV. The John Cena of then (Hulk Hogan) only ever really wrestled on said PPV's. This meant that the WWF title rarely changed hands and it was a really big deal when it did. Now days there are so many PPV's and so many title changes I can barely remember who was WWE champ last week, and every grudge match is the result of a bitter 3 week feud. With the now days Hulk Hogan (John Cheena) being rammed down our throat every monday and every 3 weekly throw away PPV its no longer special to see the biggest face wrestle anymore. Its ok to play superman 5 times a year, the punters still lap it up, but not every bloody day. Thats one of the reason's Hogan was seen as a legend in his day and today everybody hates Cena.(well most do)

The internet doesn't help either, kayfabe is dead! Im not saying WWE should still try and pass it off as real, but do the fans really have to know what matt hardy had for breakfast this morning. Its like magic, we know its an illusion but does knowing every in and out of how its done not spoil it a bit? Now that smarks know you should work on the left, video's like call a spot are posted on youtube and you f'd up chants for every little stumble have the wrestlers become marks for the fans? Do the fans know to much? they certainly think they do! Wrestlers are constantly pulling out bigger and more frequent high spots in order to impress the fans in a match they forgot about 5 mins after it ended on yet another throw away PPV.

Its a fact of life that all things must get bigger and better to survive. There aint much you can do about that, but in the old days look at the heat Hogan could generate from a "high spot" like a body slam. Now days it has to be a 720 splash through 8 tables just to wake the place up a bit. Where does it end? How much higher can a spot get? in 50 years from now will WWE have resorted to steven spielberg style special effects to get a pop?

I think there are to many belts contested on one PPV these days. Merging each title seems to be the direction they are going in wich is kinda good but then that means merging the brands which equals yet more wrestler over exposure if they really must run so many PPV's would it not be better to run RAW and SmackDown PPV's seperatly? this would mean keeping all the titles but less exposure of said titles. It never mattered how many titles there where between WCW & WWE it just became a problem (IMO) when the companys merged. I really was hoping when it all went down that vince would really let shane run WCW as WCW. Ring, Lights, production, wrestlers, titles, the whole deal. Then it really would seem novel when a wrestler turns up on another brand, in a different style ring with a different program. Even invasion angles could seem cool again. C'mon vince its not to late to change your mind.....

Sorry what was the question again??

Reactions: bluebullxx

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
i wasnt born or alive in the 80s but watching the old WWF it was more of a theatrical experiance with over the top personas i.e Hogan and some good workers like Savage Steamboat etc. But from what i have watched in my time i prefer the NWA to the 80s WWF though i do also enjoy watching the old WWF for nostalgic factor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts