Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is now almost 4 years since AJ Styles' memorable debut at Royal Rumble 2016.

Since then he accomplished:
2 WWE Championship reigns with 511 combined days
3 United States championship reigns with 225 combined days
Been at 4 single Wrestlemania Matches,Won 3 against Randy Orton,Shane McMahon and Shinsuke Nakamura but lost one against Jericho
Entered Wrestlemania as the WWE Champion and retained it against Shinsuke Nakamura.
Beat the FOTC John Cena clean in his first year at the company
Became the WWE Champion in his first year,too
Became the Face of Smackdown Live for most of the time he was on the brand.
One of the few guys to get a 5-star match contender against Brock Lesnar
He became the first man to win the WWE Championship in UK
Won the US Title at MSG
The "too sweet" match VS Finn Balor at TLC 2017

I'm sure there are many more that I forgot but these are what I can remember at the moment.

He really exceeded everyone's expectation in terms of his WWE's run.
I really think all he needs is a Wresltemania main event and he will really accomplish everything he can accomplish

Your thoughts about it and Do you think he will really get that WM main event or that is a dream that can't happen?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Storyline wise it's suckedjust about the same as everyone else.

Accomplishment wise though, I would never have expected him to have done most of the things he has. Honestly if you would have told me back in 2010 that AJ Styles would be a WWE Champion and not just that but hold the belt for almost a year, I wouldn't have believed you.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,532 Posts
He's a rarity in performers these days it's not surprising at all he's incredibly accomplished in such a short time especially coming from a former rival company which normally doesn't do them favors upon entering WWE.

I'll save my fanboying and just say he's done tremendously well for himself since his RR 2016 debut his most notable achievement Is his 2nd WWE Championship reign surpassing Macho Man Randy Savage holding it for around a year, It's rather unheard of for guys Vince generally wouldn't invest in but it happened.

He's Phenomenal:cool:

·
Registered
14,513 Posts
I think he's done quite good. Multi time world champ. As a mainly WWE viewer I had not seen much of Styles before but from what I've seen since his debut he's been great.

·
HEADBANGA
21,731 Posts
He's put on killer matches with most of the guys on the roster. The WWE saw the value in AJ and used him to his best ability. They've really gotten the most out of him and I'm glad he was given the opportunity to show on the biggest stage how great he really is.

·
Banned
458 Posts
awful. zero mic skills,zero charisma,mediocre in ring

Fantastic run. A mix of face and heel runs, actually has a character
no he doesn't lol stop lyin -.- what is his character?

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
In truth, 2016 was his best year. Everything after that has been questionable in terms of matches and booking.

He's basically been a regular midcarder ever since he dropped the title to Bryan, not much different than Nakamura now really.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
He just felt like a bigger deal in TNA and New Japan. In wwe he just seems like another guy. Even with all those accomplishments and the tv time he gets every week I just don't feel like he is a big star in the company.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
THE CORPOLUTIONSTRY
1,994 Posts
not many wrestled both in singles too I reckon. Only other names I remember are Balor and Karl Anderson.
Samoa Joe (wrestled Okada in Jersey All Pro, and Cena in UPW and also a few years ago in WWE) and Jericho would be on that list as well, although Joe obviously wrestled Okada before he was the Rainmaker. Did Albert ever work with Okada during his NJPW run?

·
Southern Pride
2,824 Posts
Awesome topic. I can't believe that it has only been 4 years.

The run of AJ Styles in the WWE has been a success. There was this worry of when he went to WWE by me and many others that he wouldn't be used well because he isn't a WWE original and wasn't "home grown" by WWE. It has been the complete opposite.

He carried Smackdown for a long time and has had some good Championship reigns along with great matches with others.

In fact, i'll even say that AJs character work has improved since he has been in the WWE, which was one of his weaknesses back when he was in TNA.

So I have got nothing but love for AJ Styles.

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
It's been incredible. He SHATTERED the myth that former TNA guys couldn't hack it in WWE. He showed that he's an incredible performer and one of the best of his generation.

There were a lot of WWE trolls that wanted him so badly to fail, saying people wouldn't recognize him (a lot of people said the same thing about Sting 😂 😂) and then that he wasn't getting over after he debuted.

His performance has regressed over the past couple years, but even at 60% maybe I still enjoy watching him most of the time. He's managed to get over as a heel and as a face, which is again rare these days, so more props to him.

He's in my top 25 GOAT list. The guy made it everywhere he went.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts