Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TNA needs a 2nd show so badly in the US to help slow Impact down and help it flow better, plus it be cool if they made a deal with a other network besides spike because not everyone has it well alot don't.

TNA has so many stars with too little tv time that its hard to care about any of them or get a full story across week by week. Now if they had a 2nd show to help focus more on the x division the Tag division and side story-lines it would do wonders for the product. Image if TNA could follow every story they had going on week after week, if stars that were not being used at the moment still had a place to cut a promo or develop their character more, or too give more time to a story that did not have time too shine on impact that week. Also it would do wonders to help hype impact for the next week or too give people who missed Impact a chance to see what happen.

Putting Impact on a smaller network could really help them gain new viewers who don't have spike. They could also put it on their website and sell it to local channels, I don't understand why wrestling left that market, I know when I 1st moved out I did not pay for any cable for a a few years, it did not mean I was not a wrestling fan anymore it just means I did not have a way of watching it. I don't see why they would ignore this market, only because people do not pay for more then basic cable or cable at all dose not mean they do not have money to spend now or if not now in the future. People can still pay for live shows and now with OTA tv and internet changing so much you could have PPV over these in good quality so why not get these people filmier with the product.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
It worked wonders for WCW when they got Thunder right? Right now TNA can't even logically book Impact, god knows what will happen with another TV show. I understand your way of thinking, but they will need to use Reaction and Xplosion.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It worked wonders for WCW when they got Thunder right? Right now TNA can't even logically book Impact, god knows what will happen with another TV show. I understand your way of thinking, but they will need to use Reaction and Xplosion.
Well if they had a 2nd TV show I hope they would keep it simple with interviews a few matches cpl of promos and maybe having a few small story lines taking place. I loved Thunder when Big Poppa Pump was on every week also DDP and Raven had one of my favorite story-lines of all time. A 2nd show should be used to shine a spotlight on people who may not be involved in the main story at the time or for bigger story's that did not get as much time on Impact. Using Reaction and Xplosion as a 2hour show would be great if they make it one show. They could have about 35 mins of Reaction style segments from impact mixed in with Xplosion, plus add some promo's and interviews in with about 3 or 4 matches.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the roster is so packed atm they really do need to feature more people. they could just do an extra hour of impact maybe but just make an internet based show as well. if it takes off maybe then spike can devote a 2nd night if nothing else to supporting a 2nd show. if they could just squeeze in another hour weekly that would help them a lot i think even on impact and reaction flowing and having time to really develop the story lines without them being quite so rushed, as well as the matches not being rushed. the great thing about the old wcw and wwf was sometimes you got some 45-60 min matches on regular tv where it was just a ppv type war. the one thing i do like about tna is they have given some longer ppv style matches on tv on impact something wwe almost always made people pay for. unfortunately when they do that it does cut off a lot of other stuff like xdiv, tag, knockouts etc....

·
Registered
522 Posts
I thought TNA Xplosion aired in the US, that's the 2nd show in the UK? It usually has a couple of matches that aren't on Impact (the low-lighting matches) plus lots (too much) interviews.

Don't you get that in the US then?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the roster is so packed atm they really do need to feature more people. they could just do an extra hour of impact maybe but just make an internet based show as well. if it takes off maybe then spike can devote a 2nd night if nothing else to supporting a 2nd show. if they could just squeeze in another hour weekly that would help them a lot i think even on impact and reaction flowing and having time to really develop the story lines without them being quite so rushed, as well as the matches not being rushed. the great thing about the old wcw and wwf was sometimes you got some 45-60 min matches on regular tv where it was just a ppv type war. the one thing i do like about tna is they have given some longer ppv style matches on tv on impact something wwe almost always made people pay for. unfortunately when they do that it does cut off a lot of other stuff like xdiv, tag, knockouts etc....
One of the reason's why I want to see them get a other show is too give people a chance to see them who don't have spike. If people really like your product and you advertise that you can stream Impact people will.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
2nd tv shows are never a good idea. It only works for the WWE because they're THE top dog in the industry and can pull it off. It was a major detriment to WCW and it would really hurt TNA if they attempted it because it puts too much pressure on the writers (who aren't doing a good enough job atm, nevermind when they have double the work load)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
2nd tv shows are never a good idea. It only works for the WWE because they're THE top dog in the industry and can pull it off. It was a major detriment to WCW and it would really hurt TNA if they attempted it because it puts too much pressure on the writers (who aren't doing a good enough job atm, nevermind when they have double the work load)
i dont believe that. what you do is you bring in another writer or 2 that can be trusted and you delegate who has control of which areas. one person would handle knockouts, tag, xdiv, heavyweight. you break it up and make it manageable. that way one guy isn't trying to do too much. wwe has proven that having multiple shows can work and work well. it's all about being able to manage it all. tna has more than enough talent that they can basically let matches go a bit longer and then get more non title matches and storylines going. an extra hour would give more time to people in the midcard and knockouts to do more. all they really need is another hour anyway imo to space things out a bit more and they would be fine. that would probably allow for another 3-4 matches per week that there isn't time to put on impact/reaction.

·
Ippo > TNA
6,454 Posts
So the second show can draw the same people that watch impact?

Right. No buys.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So the second show can draw the same people that watch impact?

Right. No buys.
2nd show also means more exposure because it's more air time. gives more time to showcase the other parts of the roster each week. if anything more airtime means more people might discover it which is the point. a lot of their roster doesn't get on consistently because there just isn't enough time.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Not really, WWF had Superstars/Heat/whatever other name they used long before Smackdown was introduced and WCW had Worldwide just as TNA has Xplosion, what they need to do in get that show off the web and onto tv where more people are going to be aware of it and tie events into the main show better than they do now.

One of the other things they need to do is make better use of the tv time they do have. One suggestion would be to go back to video promos during entrances (WWE did it on Raw this week and Russo brought it back when he was booking Impact last year). Wrestlers entrances are basically dead air from a viewers point of view, adding the backstage promo allows feuds to continue to be built without taking away from match time. It wouldn't be much, maybe no more than 3 minutes of a 2 hour broadcast (1 hour, 20 after commercials are taken into account) but it would still be useful.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I think the OP meant a second prime time show like Smackdown and Thunder that advances storylines. Which is completely different from Worldwide,Heat,Xplosion,current Superstars,etc.

I think it's a bad idea because 1. There is too much wrestling on tv. Half of the audience disappear when Reaction comes on.Smackdown gets half of Raw audiences.Fans time is valuable and with so much tv,etc. people is not invested like they used to. 2. Do we really think Russo can booked two shows? He left WWE in 99 because Smackdown was too much and he shit on Thunder.

However, I do think a show like the current Superstars and Xplosion format is good. No storylines, just wrestlers going out there and being pro wrestlers. I say bring in jobbers and used a lot of squash matches so guys can actually have clean wins on their resumes for once.

·
Comin' at you like a double-fisted kangaroo
21,054 Posts
The explanation of storylines is what's ReAction is for. Really though, you probably should be able to explain all of your angles on your main show, not rely on another one to clear things up for people. Plus TNA doesn't advertise for Impact, and I don't think they could get a decent deal right now for another 2-hour wrestling show on any channel.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the OP meant a second prime time show like Smackdown and Thunder that advances storylines. Which is completely different from Worldwide,Heat,Xplosion,current Superstars,etc.

I think it's a bad idea because 1. There is too much wrestling on tv. Half of the audience disappear when Reaction comes on.Smackdown gets half of Raw audiences.Fans time is valuable and with so much tv,etc. people is not invested like they used to. 2. Do we really think Russo can booked two shows? He left WWE in 99 because Smackdown was too much and he shit on Thunder.

However, I do think a show like the current Superstars and Xplosion format is good. No storylines, just wrestlers going out there and being pro wrestlers. I say bring in jobbers and used a lot of squash matches so guys can actually have clean wins on their resumes for once.
WCW Saturday Night and WWF heat did have storylines before Thunder and Smackdown. Like I said before you should have promo's interviews and simple story lines. WCW Saturday Night once preeminent position in the company, as the primary source of storyline development and Pay-Per-View buildup. The show's place in the company was further devalued by the advent of WCW Thunder in 1998, airing on TBS and providing the secondary wrestling and storyline development that WCW Saturday Night had produced. Also Monday night Heat was the second primary program of the WWF's weekly television show line-up, serving as a supplement to the Monday Night Raw program. Heat would feature a format similar to that of Monday Night Raw in that continuing feuds from the previous week would progress during the show, and the following day's Monday Night Raw would be heavily promoted. If read what I worte this is what I said TNA 2nd show should be like.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts

I see, the OP was effectively talking about a brand split. Yeah, that would be a bad move.

Integrating Xplosion into Impact is the way to go, their failure to do so is very irritating. One recent example would be GenMe's heel turn which came of the back of them jobbing to EY in singles matches, is that the way to build the number 1 contenders for the tag-team titles? Mind you, that can be forgiven when you remember that they only got that push due to Wolfe's injury which forced London Brawling to lose their title shot. But wait, how did they get their shot? That's right, by winning a 2 week tournament on Xplosion which was never mentioned on Impact until after they won it. Would it have been so difficult to have Tenay say 'Make sure you tune into Xplosion on tnawrestling.com where we're having a number 1 contenders tournament over the next 2 weeks to decide who will face the Guns at No Surrender'

Mistakes like that are unforgivable.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The explanation of storylines is what's ReAction is for. Really though, you probably should be able to explain all of your angles on your main show, not rely on another one to clear things up for people. Plus TNA doesn't advertise for Impact, and I don't think they could get a decent deal right now for another 2-hour wrestling show on any channel.
Not just about how good of a deal they get, right now TNA is only on Spike, TNA really needs to get on other networks and even sell the show to local channels. Hell Spike dose not even reply Impact late at night, if I work a Thursday night I cant even watch it. TNA needs to get on a other network thats willing to show their product and reply it or let them sell it to other stations.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see, the OP was effectively talking about a brand split. Yeah, that would be a bad move.
I am not talking about a brand split at all where did I say that? I am talking about a 2nd show to give wrestlers and tag teams not being used at the moment a storyline promo time and give fans something too care about. Why not have a show where The Pope cuts a promo Inc Inc feuds with Gen me also Henderson feuding with Magus. Plus give other people that have not had a good match on TV in awhile one.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think a second show would benefit TNA. There are a lot of times when TNA has a feud start one week, then it doesn't even appear on impact the next week, then randomly pops back up the week after that. Xplosion imo should be the equivalent of Smackdown before the brand split. If TNA had a show like that, they could take their time with major storylines, which often are rushed in order to be placed on the PPV, but a lot of times it doesn't make sense why the wrestlers involved are feuding because there was no real development. If you have another show to further that storyline in a less hectic and rushed manner

Xplosion should further major storylines, mostly through backstage segments, and it should give air time to mostly the mid carders, and upped mid carders. While impact is where the main feud progress in the ring as well as backsrage segments.

How long should the show last in you guy's opinions?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts