Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.accesshollywood.com/fox-24-canceled_article_30568

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Jack Bauer’s latest rough day will be his last on TV.

FOX drama “24” will conclude with its current eighth season, star Mary Lynn Rajskub Tweeted on Friday, breaking the news.

“Just found out we got the word officially,” she Tweeted. “This is 24’s last season.”

FOX later confirmed the news, calling it a joint decision between “24” star and executive producer, Kiefer Sutherland, and showrunner Howard Gordon.

“This has been the role of a lifetime, and I will never be able to fully express my appreciation to everyone who made it possible,” Kiefer said in a statement to Access Hollywood. “While the end of the series is bittersweet, we always wanted ‘24’ to finish on a high note, so the decision to make the eighth season our last was one we all agreed upon. This feels like the culmination of all our efforts from the writers to the actors to our fantastic crew and everyone at FOX.”

The star added that a feature film based on the show is in development.

The series finale of “24” will air on Monday, May 24.
Jack Bauer, the only badass comparable to Chuck Norris will have his final season this year.:(

·
Excellent. The bar is so low we can step over it.
1,115 Posts
Good. I love 24, even though it has been patchy at times, but I really don't like seeing any shows last up to the ten season mark. At least, not ones with a clear lead rather than a rotating ensemble. I just don't believe a show can truly be relevant after ten years with the same cast having the same troubles. And if you're going to change the show dramatically enough to keep it relevant, you should either be changing the cast too or outright replacing the show.

I mean, in many ways, it bothers me that Smallville is still going for ten years, even though I love that. The only reason I can accept it is that I have always thought that Tom Welling and Allison Mack were the weakest parts of that show from the very beginning, and since they're the only ones to have been around for the whole thing, the rotating cast has allowed it to keep the quality it had in all the places it had it (i.e. wherever Clark and Chloe aren't).

24 as a series ending now or next year felt right for me. That's not to say it's bad, it's just been going too long for a show where Jack Bauer is always, rightly, the focus and the best thing in the show. Characters just don't have a ten year life span like that in television. The change in format to a feature film will definitely revitalise it for a good ending. I'm just glad that it's coming to an end in such a way that they're able to give it the proper amount of closure, rather than being cancelled after they thought they were getting another season and left stuff open.

·
Premium Member
19,332 Posts
8 seasons is plenty.

One of my favorite shows of all time. It's good that it's going to go out before it ruins itself.

·
40,758 Posts
It's time. I've loved 24 in the past, but this season shows that this show is on borrowed time. 24 was one of the few programs that wasn't a "reality" show for a few years there. 24 pretty much kept me watching TV. Otherwise, I'd have not watched anything at all.

I'm actually glad it's going as there's no reason to have a bad, tired show that was once great on TV.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Pretty misleading title... cancelled means "The ratings suck, we hate it, it's off the air".

This is just a joint decision to put it to bed voluntarily. And I would agree so too. Too many shows run into a point where they start to suck and ruin the series as a whole.

I'm feeling the same way about House just now. I love that show but it's getting to the point where I wonder how much further they can take the actual House character. It needs to be put to bed by the end of season 7 at latest if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Wonder if they decide to change the plans for the end of the current season now they know it'll be the last then?
I remember reading late last year that they had more than one ending written just in case this was their final season. My only real beef with this is that they're going to make a movie, which obviously means that Jack is going to live through Day 8.

After Day 6, the only way 24 could end well for me was with Jack dying. With everything that's happened to him over the course of the show, I don't see him being able to solve that one last crisis and then fly out to LA to be with Kim and his granddaughter, never to be bothered again. I guess that's another reason I don't like this season, because Jack now has a life to look forward too, whereas Jack "with nothing to lose" Bauer from was much more interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
What I can't understand is the ratings excuse Fox is trying to give us. It's like a top 3 show when it comes to the ratings, yet they still believe it's worth canceling? If it's production costs then just make cuts. What will be able to replace it..

·
Mr Money In The Bank.
3,985 Posts
Nothing will be able to replace it which i can think off. I love the show but i'm glad that they're calling it a day as some shows can just go on too long and end up tarnishing your memory off it.

·
There are players and then there are pieces
5,052 Posts
These last two seasons were lackluster IMO, but overall it's been an amazing show. I think serious dramas like that need to stick to 6 seasons tops. I am sick of Law and Order having 20+ seasons and having multiple spinoffs, I think SVU has over ten seasons as well.

·
The Power Of Three Will Set You Free
4,022 Posts
It is not being Canceled, it is ending(the tv series) anyways. They are going to make a movie and maybe more if the first movie does anygood. The movie is about Jack going to Europe or someplace over seas.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
These last two seasons were lackluster IMO, but overall it's been an amazing show. I think serious dramas like that need to stick to 6 seasons tops. I am sick of Law and Order having 20+ seasons and having multiple spinoffs, I think SVU has over ten seasons as well.
The last couple really? Yeah I did think 6 was pretty stale but I thought Season 7 did pretty well. Season 8 has been boring up until about the last month.

·
Registered
50 Posts
24 has been slowing down dramatically for the last 2-3 seasons. Repeating plot lines and more unrealistic scenarios. I was expecting more from this season given that it took place in NYC. I am looking forward to the finale though.

·
Banned
20 Posts
I am so sad that you are cancelling 24. It is the best show in 30 years on tv. We look forward to seeing Jack in all his glory every week.
I feel the tears getting ready to fall when I think that the great character of Jack Bauer will not be visible to me again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts