Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its just been announced where the World Cup will take place in 2018/2022.

2018 = Russia
2022 = Quatar

Wondering what people think about this?, do you agree or disagree on these choices?

·
Banned
111 Posts
England, 'the motherland of football' (words of blatter himself), rich in footballing history, with superior infrastructure, much better stadiums, the most popular domestic league in the world, and in a fifa report named as the most profitable bid, and much more passion for football than Russia - a country also renowned for having thug neo-nazi fans and terrible hotels.

Qatar - a middle eastern country with a bid described as high risk, no real interest in football, 41 degree heat (minimum) in july, no footballing infrastructure or stadiums. Not to mention drinking alcohol in public is against the law. Burka's for the female fans?

ofc fifa is all about politics and this fantasy idea they have about bringing football to 'all frontiers'. both decisions are a joke. Qatar will be the worst world cup ever.

·
Lynskey Lover
774 Posts
A fucking insult is what it is.

Russia where they still, in 2010, make monkey noises at black players & they hand them the World Cup?
Total fucking joke.

It's a shame there is no other body for football, FIFA are one big joke now, shame to be in it really.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
Are gays allowed in Quatar? I'm pretty sure they're not, guess gay football fans best avoid that one!

Also 12 stadia in 1 city? Cmon.

·
......................... .
7,776 Posts
Are gays allowed in Quatar? I'm pretty sure they're not, guess gay football fans best avoid that one!

Also 12 stadia in 1 city? Cmon.
its illegal and its punishment is 5 years in prison

yeah great country for a worldwide event :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,371 Posts

if FIFA really want the competition to be played in front of them 'fans' then fair enough.

2030 at the earliest now for England. :(

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Surprized that England got knocked out in the first round of voting for 2018 and surprized that Australia got knocked out in the first round of voting for 2022. I thought 2018 would come down to between England and Russia and 2022 would come down to between Qatar and Australia.

Qatar just goes to show you money is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
649 Posts
It is absolutely ridiculous.

I guess a country that has ever held a World Cup should not bid to host a world cup, until every country in the world has held a world cup there. Apparently it is more important to debut world cups in different countries than follow high risk alerts.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Russia is decent...

But Qatar? What the fuck? That shit is messed up Australia, Japan or USA would have been WAY better choices.

·
✔
21,671 Posts
Australia got 1 vote out of 22.

One. Fucking. Vote.

Cheers Germany, but the other ....s can go fuck themselves.

·
40,796 Posts
I get the USA not getting it because we pretty much don't give a fuck about this football. We'd still host the hell out of it.

I don't get Qatar at all. 2022 is a long way away. Things could change a lot by then.

·
Fortune's always hiding.
2,601 Posts
Very dissapointed. Would of loved to have the World Cup over here, or atleast somewhere I would want to travel to to see it..

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I couldn't give a shit where the World Cup is. It would be nice to go and see a few games but I'm not gunna kick up a fuss because Russia and Qatar have been handed the torny. I think all nations deserve the chance to host the event in all honesty.

In my lifetime England have had Euro 96, the Commonwealth games and with the up-coming Olympics we can't really complain that FIFA was unfair to us because everyone has been more than fair and given us all these prestigious tournaments in a 16 year period.

Sure Russia and Qatar have their problems as nations but don't tar everyone with the same brush. Alas, everyone is taking the moral high ground because of jealousy.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
England, 'the motherland of football' (words of blatter himself), rich in footballing history, with superior infrastructure, much better stadiums, the most popular domestic league in the world, and in a fifa report named as the most profitable bid, and much more passion for football than Russia - a country also renowned for having thug neo-nazi fans and terrible hotels.
Yeah when Blatter said that it was basically taking the piss tbf. How the hell are Russia better then England or Spain/Portugal's bids.

·
Banned
111 Posts
I couldn't give a shit where the World Cup is. It would be nice to go and see a few games but I'm not gunna kick up a fuss because Russia and Qatar have been handed the torny. I think all nations deserve the chance to host the event in all honesty.

In my lifetime England have had Euro 96, the Commonwealth games and with the up-coming Olympics we can't really complain that FIFA was unfair to us because everyone has been more than fair and given us all these prestigious tournaments in a 16 year period.

Sure Russia and Qatar have their problems as nations but don't tar everyone with the same brush. Alas, everyone is taking the moral high ground because of jealousy.
i'm sorry but this post is awful.

the world cup should go to the nation best equipped to host it. i can't think of a single reason why russia should have won the bid over england or spain/portugal - if you can think of any please explain them (and the fact they have to build a 'legacy' is not an advantage over countries with top-class facilities already in place). plus anyone who knows anything about russian football knows they have a recent history of very violent, neo-nazi fans. not gonna repeat what i said earlier about england having better stadiums, bigger passion for football etc... (which also applys to the spain/portugal bid).

what has the olympics got to do with fifa / the world cup? nothing.

what has the commonwealth games got to do with fifa / the world cup? nothing.

are the euro's the same or anything close to as big or prestigious the world cup? no.

qatar doesn't just have problems (no stadiums, no history or passion for football, no well known players, a terrible national team, 40-50 degree temperatures in july, misogynistic, homophobic, alcohol-outlawed middle-eastern country) it was even described as high risk by fifa's own technical team - the only bid out of either 2018 or 2022 to be labelled that! it's not jealousy - giving 2022 to anyone but qatar was common sense.

looking forward to saudi arabia 2026 and north korea 2030. but hey, everyone deserves a chance, right?

·
✔
21,671 Posts
Mozambique 2026 and NETHERLANDS ANTILLES for 2030~! Two perfectly developed and ready nations.

In 2022's case, I would be fine with USA or Japan getting the gig, of course along with us. But South Korea, which would be a huge target based on history with North Korea, and Qatar for all the reasons already listed is why I'm pretty annoyed at the decisions. It's obviously based on money, and that's not what sport and the biggest showcase of the sport in the world should be about.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
England didnt get it for a few reasons. Firstly, they dont need it, and FIFA is all about giving the world cup to a nation that can not only make a good host, but can benefit socially from it and improve that countrys football heratige. Englands presentation seemed to go on about how they have the best domestic league in the world and all players want to play in England. One train of thought on that would be, "well, why do you need the world cup too?" Spain and Portugal fit into that category too.

Russia on the other hand is a country that could benefit greatly from hosting the world cup. It has an improving domestic league with teams being competetive in Europe including 2 UEFA Cup wins in the last 5 years. Also, it has an impressive football tradition with 1 semi final appearance and 3 quarter final appearances (as part of USSR) and are former European championship winners and 3 time finalists so they will not be the sympathy hosts South Africa were but a genuine threat in the tournament. Although their standing has taken a slump since the breakup of the Soviet Union, their national game has improved a lot recently, and giving the World Cup to Russia seems very fitting. Also, they have already budgeted for the stadia that need to be built for the tournament, so there is less likely to be the concern over completed stadia that there was in the build up to the South African world cup and that there will be between now and the next one in Brazil.

Englands bid is technically better in most aspects and its almost because of that, that Russia got it. They just stand much more to gain from it than England.

·
Banned
111 Posts
i think you're pretty much spot on and that's probably why russia won and definitely the only reason qatar won, however I disagree with this perspective as the world cup shouldn't be thrown around as some tool to help build up a country socially or economically. it's not a charity. the world cup is the biggest event in sport and should be given to the country most equipped to put on the best tournament possible. does anyone genuinely believe qatar will put on a better, more immersive tournament than australia? will anyone in russia give a stuff about games like ghana vs sweden? this whole idea of 'building a legacy' is also contradicted by the next hosts of the world cup... brazil. no other country boasts the footballing heritage of brazil. because of this, they'll undoubtably put on a spectacular show.

pretty much no-one at fifa likes england or english football either.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Qatar getting this, its truly inspirational. People all over the middle east are celebrating like crazy. Trust me, you have no idea how much this meant to everyone here. I dont care how they got it, but hell, I'm really glad they did. Everyone loves football here, its not just a victory for Qatar, but for the whole region.

Bravo Fifa.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts