Wrestling Forum banner

2013 WKO 100

1793 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  seabs
It's that time of year again. What does everyone think of the 2013 edition?

100. Adam Cole
99. Kevin Steen
98. Hiroshi Tanahashi
97. James Mason
96. Mr. Niebla
95. CIMA
94. Tama Tonga
93. Kota Ibushi
92. The Great Sasuke
91. Jushin Thunder Liger
90. Vangelis
89. Jeremy Wyatt
88. Necro Butcher
87. Adrian Neville
86. Chico Che
85. Kenou
84. Christian
83. Jack Swagger
82. Meiko Satomura
81. Raziel
80. Shocker
79. Rey Cometa
78. Cyrus the Destroyer
77. Dean Allmark
76. Osamu Nishimura
75. Robbie Dynamite
74. Yuki Ishikawa
73. Damien Wayne
72. Ray Mendoza Jr.
71. 2 Cold Scorpio
70. Arkangel de la Muerte
69. Rampage Brown
68. Freelance
67. Dolph Ziggler
66. Sami Callihan
65. Titan
64. Pierrothito
63. Randy Orton
62. Cassandro
61. Mascara Dorada
60. Alexander Otsuka
59. Katsuyori Shibata
58. Shaun Tempers
57. Demus 3:16
56. Namajague
55. Fujita Jr. Hayato
54. Dr. Wagner Jr.
53. Barbaro Cavernario
52. Yoshiaki Fujiwara
51. K.T. Hammil
50. Timothy Thatcher
49. Jey Uso
48. Jimmy Uso
47. Kyle Matthews
46. "Super Porky" Brazo de Plata
45. Villano IV
44. Kazushi Sakuraba
43. Maximo
42. Minoru Suzuki
41. Trauma I
40. Cody Rhodes
39. Guerrero Maya Jr.
38. Mike Cruz
37. Averno
36. El Terrible
35. Mark Henry
34. Brock Lesnar
33. Jun Akiyama
32. Kassius Ohno/Chris Hero
31. Jinsei Shinzaki
30. Sami Zayn
29. Black Terry
28. C.M. Punk
27. Luke Harper
26. The Big Show
25. Sheamus
24. Alberto Del Rio
23. Shinsuke Nakamura
22. Valiente
21. ***** Navarro
20. Trauma II
19. TAJIRI
18. Charles Lucero
17. Tomohiro Ishii
16. L.A. Park
15. Roman Reigns
14. Vordell Walker
13. Rey Escorpion
12. Rey Hechicero
11. Dean Ambrose
10. William Regal
9. Seth Rollins
8. John Cena
7. Blue Panther
6. Virus
5. Rush
4. Goldust
3. Daniel Bryan
2. Antonio Cesaro
1. ***** Casas
Reactions: Concrete
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
43,038 Posts
Seth Rollins finishing #9 on a WKO 100 list is pretty crazy. In a good way. As is Ishii finishing so high on one of these. Hero even ranking is odd. Besides the Harper match what did he actually do in 2013? There's a good tag vs Neville/Grey but I didn't Hero overly stood out in that. Ah shit just remembered the Regal match. Still think 33 is way too high for what Hero did in 2013. Same for Big Show too (who is great but 2013 wasn't a strong year match wise for him imo).

· Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
4,460 Posts
Surprised Casas got the rub over Cesaro, but that top 10 is pretty on the money (top 20, too, give or take a couple change-arounds). I would probably have Cena lower, but he's always been a tremendous big match worker and delivered in those spots so its hard to fault his output in that regard. Navarro probably got hurt by tape, but I'd have him over Escorp, either way (though Rey had a really good year). Hero had a couple good performances and a helluva lotta meh.

Show over Henry is another weird one. They both had rubbish lows (Henry/Ryback & Show/Orton) but Henry's high (Retirement speech & Henry/Cena) was much better than Shows' peak (LMS against Del Rio). But that's really nitpicking.

· Premium Member
43,038 Posts
Didn't they really dig vs Show/Orton at Extreme Rules? Besides that (which I didn't think was super great) and the Del Rio LMS match I can't think of anything Show did that was great. Maybe the 4 way tag but I didn't Show super stood out in that. He's had good matches but maybe I value his individual performances in them a lot less.

· Working on a novel about about nothing
2,109 Posts
As far as Casas and Cesaro goes the difference between the two was as close as you could get at that point with someone moving Cesaro up or Casas down and the results could have flipped. Super close finish.

Big Show to me was really a real damn consistent worker. Going through the WWE Network and watching all of his TV stuff and realized that the dude rocked every week.

· Registered
3,306 Posts
Good to see someone else thinks the Usos are great. Maybe it's just the limited circles I talk wrestling in but they seem to get a lot more hate than they deserve (they don't deserve any because they are, at worst, pretty good).

I don't watch enough current wrestling (or any lucha) so I don't really have strong opinions on this year's edition, but the WWE portion of the list looks on point.

· Registered
22,340 Posts
Not normally a guy to complain about Cena in ring, but what did he do in 2013 outside of a couple of SHIELD tags and the Bryan SS match? More of a "I don't remember what he did most of the year" as opposed to "he was shit all year outside of those few matches I mentioned so fucking explain" :p.

· Registered
26 Posts
Not normally a guy to complain about Cena in ring, but what did he do in 2013 outside of a couple of SHIELD tags and the Bryan SS match? More of a "I don't remember what he did most of the year" as opposed to "he was shit all year outside of those few matches I mentioned so fucking explain" :p.

The Punk match on Raw was great. His matches with Sandow, Ryback and Henry were probably the best matches of the year for those guys. There's a Cena/Rollins match that might be Rollins' best singles match in WWE. I thought the TLC with Orton was pretty good too.

I'm pretty surprised Kota Ibushi made the list.

· Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
7,529 Posts
I think Cena got nominated mainly for the Punk, Bryan and Henry singles matches, alongside a few promising performances against The Shield (Elimination Chamber where as I recall he was FIP) and the Cesaro exchanges during the six man tags on Raw/Smackdown in October/November of the year. Based on the comments he definitely seemed like a guy like Hero who was voted high for the strength of his respective performances, as opposed to someone based on the pure depth of his work over a consistent basis.

I watched far too little wrestling really to have much of an informed opinion but I was glad to see Goldust and Cesaro so high, as well as The Shield because Rollins especially was someone I'm pretty sure a majority there disliked heavily, even during his FCW days where I recall Seabs reviewing numerous matches of his and praising his remarkable progress from ROH. Lucero and Hecichero placings have motivated me to watch the matches of theirs which made tape, and Tajiri's placing reminded me of some of his matches which turned up last year which earnt rave reviews. The Osamu Nishimura match in particular being a very mouth-watering pairing on paper.

Only thing I hope we stay away from this year is people on here laughing at the placings of your indy workers and New Japan starlets. Accept that the people running this Top 100 have different tastes and preferences in wrestling than you, and try not to discredit the work and validations behind their picks because a handful of wrestlers in your eyes were criminally misplaced.

· Registered
22,340 Posts
CM Punk match from Raw and the match against Mark Henry were big.
The Punk match on Raw was great. His matches with Sandow, Ryback and Henry were probably the best matches of the year for those guys. There's a Cena/Rollins match that might be Rollins' best singles match in WWE.
Knew I was forgetting a bunch of stuff :p.

· Premium Member
43,038 Posts
Cena actually had a pretty strong year thinking about it but I think he was missing a big Cena performance like he usually has at some point during a year. I don't think either the Punk or Henry match was great largely because of Cena. Obviously it depends if people voted with a bias towards individual performance in a great match or just volume of great stuff someone was involved in without sucking. Cena had the Punk, Henry and Bryan match but he also had a great TV match with Rollins that got lost in the shuffle due to being during the holidays week, was really great in the Shield match at Elimination Chamber as well as the Sandow/Real Americans 6 man on SD (Raw one was good too). The Cena/Sandow match was good too iirc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.