Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me the Summer of Punk was the catalyst of change. CM Punk was finally someone who said what they thought and didn't give a damn who heard it. It gave the fans someone to voice their opinions, that they're tired of the same rubbish we see every week, he really was the voice of the voiceless.

We look at the product today after that shoot promo and you can tell Punk really has improved the WWE for the better, you can tell the whole vibe of the show has a much more edgier feel to it. Although as great as the summer of Punk was, there was one problem that we never got rid of and that's John Cena.

There is one big similarity between the WWE of 2011 and the WWE of 2012, John Cena is still in the main event. In fairness that's fine but what my issue is, is that he's always the focal point of the show despite the movement that Punk started.

Rolling up to Wresltemania it was Rock vs. Cena and that was the big selling point and I felt after Cena lost I really thought that symbolized the end of Cena as the top guy. All his motives and beliefs had to be put in question after giving everything but still losing. He'd maybe finally snap and we'd see the character change that we finally have been dying to see for all these years and give someone else that torch to run with.

In an ideal World I'd have wanted a John Cena heel turn (typical IWC solution I know..) and that ushered in Punk as the top face of the company and deservedly so. Unfortunatley that wasn't the case. Despite 8 years of the fans booing John Cena, vocally stating that they're sick of him hogging the spot light, he still is the same old Cena, hogging up that same old spotlight.

He is then put into a feud with Lesnar, you see slight character progression. He's actually scared and doubtful (very unlike Cena), maybe THIS could be the start of a new Cena. Nope. He goes on to beat Lesnar superman style like we've seen for the last 8 years and begins to feud with Lauranitis. The same Lauranitis by the way is only on TV because of Punk and they're getting they're Cena to jump the bandwagon and start feuding with the guy in a pathetic attempt to once again win the fans over when in reality Cena is probably as much of a yes man as Johnny ironically and people will still boo Cena regardless of who he faces.

So now we're stuck here in the same situation with Cena still closing the show despite millions of fans vocally stating that they're sick and tired of him. I'm not going to be irrational and say take Cena out of the main event but at least give him some character progression and let Punk close the show but they don't even do that. It's the same old Cena and the same old WWE.

I'd have really thought the WWE learnt something from the Summer of Punk, and that's to listen to what the people want but obviously I was wrong. When Rock was on RAW every week, I was more excited to see CM Punk, when Lesnar was on RAW it was the same thing. I'm not bothered about these guys coming in with their 1 year contracts and being put into a programme with Cena, I want to see Punk as the number 1 guy and finally see John Cena, after 8 long years to step back and let someone else be the man.

Stone Cold was only the number 1 guy for a few years, same goes for Rock. Although Cena has been that guy longer than the two combined. 2012 was Cena's time to step down or at least change but we've gotten neither, we've got the same old Cena..

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
You've got it wrong. You don't step down from being the man, someone steps UP to be the man.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
For me the Summer of Punk was the catalyst of change. CM Punk was finally someone who said what they thought and didn't give a damn who heard it. It gave the fans someone to voice their opinions, that they're tired of the same rubbish we see every week, he really was the voice of the voiceless.

We look at the product today after that shoot promo and you can tell Punk really has improved the WWE for the better, you can tell the whole vibe of the show has a much more edgier feel to it. Although as great as the summer of Punk was, there was one problem that we never got rid of and that's John Cena.

There is one big similarity between the WWE of 2011 and the WWE of 2012, John Cena is still in the main event. In fairness that's fine but what my issue is, is that he's always the focal point of the show despite the movement that Punk started.

Rolling up to Wresltemania it was Rock vs. Cena and that was the big selling point and I felt after Cena lost I really thought that symbolized the end of Cena as the top guy. All his motives and beliefs had to be put in question after giving everything but still losing. He'd maybe finally snap and we'd see the character change that we finally have been dying to see for all these years and give someone else that torch to run with.

In an ideal World I'd have wanted a John Cena heel turn (typical IWC solution I know..) and that ushered in Punk as the top face of the company and deservedly so. Unfortunatley that wasn't the case. Despite 8 years of the fans booing John Cena, vocally stating that they're sick of him hogging the spot light, he still is the same old Cena, hogging up that same old spotlight.

He is then put into a feud with Lesnar, you see slight character progression. He's actually scared and doubtful (very unlike Cena), maybe THIS could be the start of a new Cena. Nope. He goes on to beat Lesnar superman style like we've seen for the last 8 years and begins to feud with Lauranitis. The same Lauranitis by the way is only on TV because of Punk and they're getting they're Cena to jump the bandwagon and start feuding with the guy in a pathetic attempt to once again win the fans over when in reality Cena is probably as much of a yes man as Johnny ironically and people will still boo Cena regardless of who he faces.

So now we're stuck here in the same situation with Cena still closing the show despite millions of fans vocally stating that they're sick and tired of him. I'm not going to be irrational and say take Cena out of the main event but at least give him some character progression and let Punk close the show but they don't even do that. It's the same old Cena and the same old WWE.

I'd have really thought the WWE learnt something from the Summer of Punk, and that's to listen to what the people want but obviously I was wrong. When Rock was on RAW every week, I was more excited to see CM Punk, when Lesnar was on RAW it was the same thing. I'm not bothered about these guys coming in with their 1 year contracts and being put into a programme with Cena, I want to see Punk as the number 1 guy and finally see John Cena, after 8 long years to step back and let someone else be the man.

Stone Cold was only the number 1 guy for a few years, same goes for Rock. Although Cena has been that guy longer than the two combined. 2012 was Cena's time to step down or at least change but we've gotten neither, we've got the same old Cena..
No. CM Punk was the person who said what WWE Creative told him to say in his script.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You've got it wrong. You don't step down from being the man, someone steps UP to be the man.
This. And it is only May. We are just a quarter of the way through the year. There is no telling what will happen. He could get his ass kicked by Laurantis and his crew, or turn heel. If he is the exact same come January 1st 2013, then this thread could be made.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
You got it all wrong.

When John Cena turns heel he'll still be the man. See Hulk Hogan, see Stone Cold. The WWE will still revolve around John Cena.

In fact he'll be more dominate then he ever was before for about a year because WWE has to build him as the ultimate heel.

Right now is CM Punk's best chance at becoming the top guy. You need show some patience and hope CM Punk can land a feud with the Rock at Summerslam because that's his best opportunity of outshining Cena.

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Cena can not step down from being the man. We would need a new superstar who has all the tools.
CM Punk is great, dont get me wrong. But he is never going to be big enough to have all the amazing feuds Cena can have.

For now Orton and Cena are the main guys for a reason. They have a good build, they can talk and wrestle.
Cena feuded with Lesnar because it wouldnt make sense for them to have Punk with Lesnar, he would get killed.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You got it all wrong.

When John Cena turns heel he'll still be the man. See Hulk Hogan, see Stone Cold. The WWE will still revolve around John Cena.

In fact he'll be more dominate then he ever was before for about a year because WWE has to build him as the ultimate heel.

Right now is CM Punk's best chance at becoming the top guy. You need show some patience and hope CM Punk can land a feud with the Rock at Summerslam because that's his best opportunity of outshining Cena.
I like that you still seemingly have hope for Cena ever turning heel.

The thing with Punk is that they never really followed up after Money In The Bank. He's stayed pretty strong and has risen to the number 2 guy in the company, but he didn't get the one more feud that would've completed his ascension to the top of the card. It seemed like they were heading in that direction with Triple H, but they changed it from Punk/Triple H to Triple H/Awesome Truth and simply made Punk the focus of the title picture. Which is a great thing, but it wasn't on the level of Summer of Punk.

In order for Cena to step down as the number one guy, he's going to have to be the one to elevate the next number one guy, because no one is on his level in terms of star power, and WWE doesn't treat anyone else like they ever could be as important as Cena. As long as WWE treats Cena like their most important star, he'll always be just that.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right.. surely he did that in the Summer of Punk? That's what I'm saying, he stepped up and proved himself, it just so happens that someone has to step down because someone is ready to step up. I don't see what you're saying here.

Also I hate this notion that Cena can never step down as if he did then the WWE would lose huge amounts of money and suddenly be in danger of being cancelled. The WWE did fine without a defining face from 2002 until 2005. The fans have voiced their opinion for 8 long years and it's time for a change. I'm not saying Punk definitely has to be that guy to replace him but if there's someone who is fit for the job then I believe it's Punk.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
I'm not sure he should have stepped down as "the man" but I would say he should be moving away from being the center of attention, or like green day someone should be the center of attention. Cena still has a place in WWE as one of the top guys but eventually one man cannot always be regarded as the only star in your company. I think the WWE, and maybe some wrestlers, are too scared to do something about changing that but I agree that new stars should get some more face time.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The Winning One™;11415084 said:
I'm not sure he should have stepped down as "the man" but I would say he should be moving away from being the center of attention, or like green day someone should be the center of attention. Cena still has a place in WWE as one of the top guys but eventually one man cannot always be regarded as the only star in your company. I think the WWE, and maybe some wrestlers, are too scared to do something about changing that but I agree that new stars should get some more face time.
Yes, WWE needs to moveaway from the "only one guy" or "only one face that matters" concept. A Cena heel turn would not change that, as he would still remain the center of attention because he would have to be built up as a heel, and also Punk would end up becoming the new "only face that matters".

I agree that CM Punk needs to close the shows more often, but Cena doesn't need to change to have that happen. That's an issue with the actual production of the show, not the booking of the characters.

They're doing the best they can by keeping Cena out of the title picture. However, imo, the best route for Cena to go would be to either move him to SmackDown and fill the role that Undertaker did in the past.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
I like that you still seemingly have hope for Cena ever turning heel.

The thing with Punk is that they never really followed up after Money In The Bank. He's stayed pretty strong and has risen to the number 2 guy in the company, but he didn't get the one more feud that would've completed his ascension to the top of the card. It seemed like they were heading in that direction with Triple H, but they changed it from Punk/Triple H to Triple H/Awesome Truth and simply made Punk the focus of the title picture. Which is a great thing, but it wasn't on the level of Summer of Punk.

In order for Cena to step down as the number one guy, he's going to have to be the one to elevate the next number one guy, because no one is on his level in terms of star power, and WWE doesn't treat anyone else like they ever could be as important as Cena. As long as WWE treats Cena like their most important star, he'll always be just that.
Triple H Undertaker was always the plan. The only reason why Triple H Punk happened was because of Nash's problems that led to him not being able to wrestle forcing Punk v Triple H.

While I agree Punk should have gotten a little better booking I don't see why anyone is complaining that John Cena is being pushed as WWE's top guy.

He just finished a year long feud with the Rock. It makes no sense for the WWE to try to downplay that feud in any way. He should be the primary focus of the WWE right now. You had 1.3 million viewers watch Wrestlemania you're not going to bury Cena behind Punk before or immediately after WM 28.

As time passes I'm sure Cena's role will slow down just like Punk was the center of attention during Dec and Jan, but you can't expect that right before and right after the biggest match WWE has seen in 10 years.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Others have to step up. Cena isn't ever going to step down unless he's forced. And that's the way it should be.
Part of the problem I feel is that no one in WWE can do what Cena does right now. The guy as clean as a whistle in terms of not being busted for things such as drugs and looks the part of someone who you would want trying to bring in soccer moms & kids to to the product.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
John Cena should just step down all together and give the spotlight to someone else im sick of John Cena hogging the spotlight

·
Registered
694 Posts
Others have to step up. Cena isn't ever going to step down unless he's forced. And that's the way it should be.
But how is that possible when creative is only focused on Cena? Yeah you can say someone has to step up and take Cena's spot but how will they do that if creative doesn't give them a chance? Besides when it comes down to it it's all up to the higher ups in the WWE to push someone above Cena. Think about it. Cena became the man how? By the WWE pushing him to the moon defeating all the top guys and winning countless championships. Rock became the man how? By the WWE giving him great storylines to work with. Austin became the man how? By feuding with Vince and hardly ever taking a pinfall. At the end of the day it's all up to creative.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
Cena still is the main event of every Raw and PPV. No matter who the champion is, Cena is the focal point. So he's still the man.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I agree, he needs to step down from his position because he's been there for 7 fucking years now. It's getting boring, I understand why they went against the grain in 2006 and had him continue being a face in 2006 despite the boos, but now he's truly stale and no one can seriously defend him. It can be proved by all the idiotic non-sense about Cena "working his ass off every day" as an attempt to get the people who boo him to change their minds. Face Cena is over... done. If they want to get him cheered, they have to turn him heel and no other way around it.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
If WWE management had enough faith in CM Punk to take over as the top guy then simply put he would be in the top spot but regardless of what his blind marks believe it is CM Punk who hasn't pushed on since Money In The Bank rather than WWE not pushing him hard enough as it is down to the wrestler once he has been given the initial push. In 1984 a wrestler called Hulk Hogan had become quite popular and was given a chance and pushed on to become the single biggest star in the history of the wrestling industry and over in NWA in 1990 a wrestler called Sting did the same thing there but on a smaller scale.

In 1997 on the back of a great match with Bret Hart a wrestler called Stone Cold Steve Austin pushed himself to become better and more entertaining on a weekly basis to the point where WWE couldn't not push him and once he was given the chance to be the main guy in 1998 he never looked back. In late 1998 we saw a wrestler called The Rock begin his main event push and despite being a heel became so over he had to be turned face and eventually by the end of 1999 he had become an equal to Stone Cold Steve Austin as a draw and in terms of star power.

With CM Punk he has been in WWE now for 6 years and has been WWE/World champion on five occasions so has been in and around the main event scene since mid 2008 yet up until last year hadn't even cemented himself as a long term main event star. Now before you bash me i'm actually a mark for CM Punk and have been since he began his ECW run whilst having been a big fan since his heel ROH days but facts are facts and ratings are down in his segments whilst buyrates are also whilst despite what his blind marks believe he isn't outselling John Cena in merchandise outside of doing so with one item in the adult demographic for a time but overall was said to be a long way behind John Cena still.

It was reported earlier on in the year that last year John Cena made $106 million for WWE which is an obscene amount of money for one man to make a wrestling company in a single year and whilst he isn't on the same level as Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan and The Rock in terms of mainstream appeal and star power i would say he has made more money for WWE than any of those three have or did. People need to realise that whilst John Cena makes as much money for WWE as he does and continues to be their only major full time draw he isn't going to be moved from his spot and CM Punk needs to do something HUGE in order to change that which despite what The IWC believe he probably won't ever do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts