Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think 2008 is a really underrated year as it is now forgotten because people only see 2008 as the year of the "PG Era" it had many great moments.

> Cenas shocking royal rumble return
>HHH drafted to Smackdown
> Punk winning the world title
> Tremendous WM (top 5 for me)
> Flairs farewell address
> Jericho/HBK fued
> Edge/Taker fued
> Championship scramble was FUN
> Jeff Hardy 25 ft jump on Orton at raw
> Jerichos amazing heel work

2008 had no really bad PPVs. The only near poor PPV was Survivor Series, which was built well but the result was poor. WM 24, Royal Rumble, Backlash, No Way Out, No Mercy, Armageddon, Summerslam, One Night Stand, and Night of Champions were all AWESOME shows. GA Bash, Judgment Day, and Unforgiven were all average shows. Not terrible though.

Who else loved this year? It's one of the favorites. Maybe top 5.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2009 > 2008 > 2010 > 2011 > 2013 > 2012

09 was very up and down for me. I loved the sadistic heel Orton, but the end of 09 was stale for me.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Around the middle to end of 2008 was the first time I ever stopped watching wrestling for a bit. I really don't know why. It had gotten really stale. Same guys, doing the same things, no new faces, Punk wasn't given any freedom to do his magic. Smackdown was decent, the Edge/Taker story was great, but I remember, and this is a big reason why I was turned off, is they would repeat a match on Raw and/or Smackdown for months straight. Like, they would have Shelton Benjamin Vs John Morrison every week for months.

It's not an underrated year OP. Every year has good things about it, but in 2008, Raw was close to shit, Smackdown too, repetitive as hell. They had a million dollar viewers challenge, they had some dumb GMs, Punk was wrongfully given the world title.

Since 2008:

2011 > 2013 > 2010 > 2008 > 2012 > 2009

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Lol in what world was 2009 better than 2008?

2009 was one of the worst years in the last decade, and that includes 2005, '06 & '11

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
Your out of your mind.

the real rankings

2008 > 2011 > 2013 > 2012 > 2010
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2009
Smackdown and ECW 2009 is probably the best shows of all those years. Raw was absolute garbage though.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
Lol in what world was 2009 better than 2008?

2009 was one of the worst years in the last decade, and that includes 2005, '06 & '11
RAW 2009 was bad. SD/ECW '09 blows almost every year of the last decade out of the water, imo.

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
2009 > 2008 > 2010 > 2011 > 2013 > 2012
2009 was a terrible year for Raw. The guest host era can blow me for all I care.

And I forget which PPV had the championship scramble matches?

·
Banned
473 Posts
RAW 2009 was bad. SD/ECW '09 blows almost every year of the last decade out of the water, imo.
But RAW is the flagship show and the most important show. So if your flagship show is bad (And God, was it bad...) then I think it makes the year pretty bad.

·
Banned
13,572 Posts
2008 was a great year and Im suprised alot of people dont talk about it alot. U had the classic Flair vs HBK at WM, HHH was champ most of the year. Edge vs Undertaker matches, HBK vs Jericho fued and matches, HHH vs Jeff Hardy Matches, Batista vs Jericho

·
Banned
7,268 Posts
Nothing special happened in 2008, the only think memorable that happened that year is the RAW set falling on Vince McMahon and Randy Orton getting injured. Punk's MITB cash-in was very forgettable and nobody gives a shit about Cena's "shocking" Rumble return. Cena returning under any circumstances isn't going to improve the year.

Ric Flair's farewell speech was pretty cool to.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nothing special happened in 2008, the only think memorable that happened that year is the RAW set falling on Vince McMahon and Randy Orton getting injured. Punk's MITB cash-in was very forgettable and nobody gives a shit about Cena's "shocking" Rumble return. Cena returning under any circumstances isn't going to improve the year.

Ric Flair's farewell speech was pretty cool to.

Typical punk mark response. You hated this year just because nobody gave a crap about punk. And lmao at saying no one gave a crap about cena returning. That was one of the greatest returns of all time.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
2008 was alright. Fwiw, I stopped watching regularly in 2009.

The Good

The year was carried by the great Michaels/Jericho and Undertaker/Edge feuds. Michaels was my MVP for 2008. He should have won an Emmy, dammit! Flair's whole retirement storyline is one of my favorite things ever. Too bad he kind of ruined it in subsequent years. I was really into Jeff Hardy early in the year. Loved the Jeff/Umaga cage match on Raw and I wanted him to beat Boreton soooo bad. Then Jeff blew it. Though he did come back to finally win the big gold at the end of the year. It was cool to see JBL back, even if he didn't do much. Morrison was awesome. I liked Colin Delaney as a new age Mikey Whipwreck. Dreamer was still Dreamer, which means he's impossible not to like. I liked Matt Hardy's ECW Title reign. Mayweather/Show was far better than it had any right to be. Santino was consistently amusing. Definitely one of my favorites that year. Badass Beth ruled the women's division. I liked Cena's surprise Rumble return and his matches with Batista and HHH.

The Bad

The Cena/JBL feud is one of the worst things ever. More stupid Vince McMahon crap like the stage collapsing during the million dollar giveaway and the illegitimate son storyline (though JBL beating the crap out of Hornswoggle was gold). I'm a HHH fan, but he had a very forgettable 2008. Orton was Boreton and the Legacy sucked. MVP was inexplicably depushed. I stopped watching ECW for a while when shitty Mark Henry was champion. HATED Punk's title win and his shitty midcard title reign because fuck CM Punk. The Kozlov push sucked. Festus was Wrestlecrap. I was an Adamle fan at first but he got old after a while. Regal's KOTR push was doomed from the start because he's still boring ass William Regal. La Familia was Edge (good) and a bunch of jobbers (bad). Didn't like the Scramble idea and I'm still :lmao at the bizarre Brian Kendrick push. Tbh, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what The Brian Kendrick was supposed to be.

Eh, looks like 2008 had more bad than good, but at least it had enough to keep me watching regularly. The same can not be said for 2009, when I finally went off wrestling after 22 years of religiously watching just about everything.

·
Banned
473 Posts
2008 was alright. Fwiw, I stopped watching regularly in 2009.

The Good
Santino was consistently amusing. Definitely one of my favorites that year. Badass Beth ruled the women's division.
Gosh, totally forgot about Glamarella! I loved it. Santino was awesome back then. So funny.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts