Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006-2007: A Failed Generation

Man, did WWE fall apart in 2006-2007 in terms of building new superstars. The list below includes everyone who won the title listed for the first time in 2006 or 2007. As you look at the list, it's amazing, just four years later, how many of these men are either off the roster (RVD, Umaga, JBL, Finlay, Kennedy, MVP, Matt Hardy, Shelton, London, Kendrick, Deuce, Domino, McMahon), comedy characters (Santino), or jobbers (Khali). A few are main eventers today (Edge, Mysterio, Miz, Punk), and the only other guy on the list (Morrison) is doing just fine.

Here's my question: as you look at this list and consider the WWE's direction in 2006-2007, what should they have done differently? Who was on the roster or floating out there in the independents that SHOULD HAVE been pushed during this period?

First World (WWE or WHC) Title:
Edge
Rob Van Dam
Rey Mysterio
The Great Khali

Intercontinental Title
John Morrison
Umaga
Santino Marella

US Title
JBL* (had previously won the WWE Title)
Bobby Lashley
Finlay
Ken Kennedy
MVP
Matt Hardy
Shelton Benjamin

ECW Title
Rob Van Dam
The Big Show* (previously won the WWE Title)
Bobby Lashley
Vince McMahon* (previously won the WWE Title)
John Morrison
CM Punk

Tag Team Titles (WWE or World)
Paul London
Brian Kendrick
Deuce
Domino
Matt Hardy
MVP
The Miz

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
There's no doubt that two of the most talented guys in this period who never got their reward were Kennedy and MVP. A lot of people were predicting these guys to be the next Rock/Austin, and rightfully so. I was also a big fan of Umaga, and I still cannot believe the guy never held the world title before his release and death. I also loved Kendrick's 'The' gimmick towards the end of his run. I still marked to see him 'win' the title in the Scramble match for a couple of minutes.

Other than those guys I wouldn't really make a case for the others. Finlay was too old to be getting a career revival, Khali was just a transitional champ and filled a role, Lashley would have been a big star but crossed over to MMA, Benjamin I guess could've done more and so on.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I'll agree all day that Kennedy blew it with constant injuries, but if we're just talking pure talent he did deserve more, not that it would have been possible with those injuries.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I thought 2006 was a good year. WWE established guys like Edge, RVD, Umaga etc.

Early 2007-present is when things started to go bad IMO.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
They had a lot of future talent.

Edge became a breakout main even heel.

London and Kenrick became a good tag team.

MVP and Kennedy were on the rise on Smackdown. They had great feuds with faces.

HBK had an awesome feud with Kurt that year.

CM Punk made his mark at ECW.

In my opinion Bobby Lashly sucked big time. He was this big black guy with a goofy nerdy voice with no personality. MVP should have been the black star on the rise not Lashly.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
When you look at that list, you come to realise how good the roster was back then.

Just goes to show how the WWE cannot create new stars.

·
Just Remember
1,092 Posts
When you look at that list, you come to realise how good the roster was back then.

Couldn't. CM Punk and Wade Barrett are going to be main-eventing for years to come. But the big one is The Miz. It doesn't matter that he can't really go in the ring, and it doesn't matter that he's not really even that great on the mic. The guy wants it, plain and simple. They know he's a company man through and through. He's going to be huge.

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
MVP was the big thing at the time it would have been the natural step for him to move up to the main event scene

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
They had a lot of future talent.

Edge became a breakout main even heel.

London and Kenrick became a good tag team.

MVP and Kennedy were on the rise on Smackdown. They had great feuds with faces.

HBK had an awesome feud with Kurt that year.

CM Punk made his mark at ECW.

In my opinion Bobby Lashly sucked big time. He was this big black guy with a goofy nerdy voice with no personality. MVP should have been the black star on the rise not Lashly.
yes Im sure thats why MVP was held back they were like whoa! theres already one black guy getting a push lets hold off for the time being

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
if 2006-2007 is a failed generation then i'd love to know what you are going to call the even more terrible generation of 2008-2010. at least the guys that held the titles weren't green fucks from FCW with no skills regardless of where they are now.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

It is really hard to create new stars when there is nobody to play them off of. In the past you could keep people fresh by picking up a star from another company to fill the roster, and then your homegrown guys that nobody knew were a rarity, and they could focus on building them up one at a time. Like they did with the rock. Or Even HHH. Guys like jericho or RVD, they weren't megastars when the showed up, but people knew of them and were actually exctited to finally see what they could do in WWE. They were already pre- built.

As the last of the old wcw and ecw guys faded out, it regressed to the point that it is today where the whole roster is homegrown guys they are trying to build, and what you get is basically a bunch of green performers and shallow characters, that nobody has any frame of reference for. I don't even blame the talent, WWE management forced themselves into that position but shutting everyone down

·
Registered
410 Posts

The only onw in the list with qualities and talent that no one have nowadays is Umaga.

Well, and the tag teams... but that's not a problem of the roster.

·
Registered
362 Posts
They are trying to create new superstars and icons today and I appreciate the work they are doing but they´re playing with the patience of some viewers. From this point of view, and if they follow this line and performers improve, they can achieve a great stardom power in a couple of years. They also can "buy" TNA stars (or buy TNA ;))... Is it another choice?

P.D: Sorry for my english... Part of a failed generation too...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts