Wrestling Forum banner

2005- WWE dropped the ball with the women's championship when Trish was out 5 months

1860 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  MOBELS
Traditionally, if a belt-holder going to be out for a length of time, they usually drop the belt (Batista and Edge with the World Heavyweight Championship in 2006-2007).

However, I can recall the WWE s crewingup a situation with the women's title- I already have given my thoughts on Chyna/Lita at Judgment Day 2001.

But, there was another instance of a champion gone for a while, yet they somehow didn't have to drop the belt- Trish Stratus in 2005.

That year, Trish was gone 5 months with a herinated disc in her back (she was taken off TV when Viscera splashed her at Backlash).

But for some reason, the WWE did not either strip her of the title via the 30 day rule (see Edge and the IC belt in 2004) or vacate the belt because of the injury (as I mentioned earlier, Batista and Edge with the WHC). Imagine if HHH had not dropped the IC/Tag Team belts in May 2001 prior to his quad injury.

The women's division in that stretch when Trish was out and there was no title was not exactly doing great- Diva Search, T&A-related stuff- and I feel that if they had done something with the belt, that situation might have been bettered.

IMHO, this had a bit of an effect on the current Divas at the time. Consider the possibilities had they done something with the belt instead of let Trish keep it while she was hurt:

Victoria- she could have been a good champ during that stretch. Considering how she was misused at times during her run in the WWE, maybe she could have held down the fort until Trish came back.

Christy Hemme- don't laugh. Had they given Christy a chance to prance around with the title (other Diva Search winners have been champ, so don't think it's impossible), she might have fared better with the WWE than she did (and if so, who knows if she goes to TNA). It could have made sense- maybe have Trish put her over before she takes that time off and give Christy a bit of revenge for what Trish did on-screen earlier that year.

Lita- she was a red-hot heel in the summer of 2005- potential blown opportunity. They made up for this a year later, but Lita was near the end of the road. If it was done a year earlier- smart decision?

SmackDown- maybe have an interpromotional Battle Royal for the belt and perhaps a SmackDown Diva is champ for the time being? It could have REALLY legitimized Melina even more when she was with MNM. (IMO, SmackDown Divas for a while were behind the RAW Divas)

All in all, a lot of what-ifs and potential scenarios that never were because an injured champ drop the belt for once.

I don't blame Trish- I blame the WWE. Major mistake here.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 2005- WWE dropped the ball with the women's championship when Trish was out 5 mon

Again, surprised with no response.

It's a topic that's fascinated me- the only time I can recall a champion not having to drop a belt upon getting injured.

· Registered
980 Posts
Re: 2005- WWE dropped the ball with the women's championship when Trish was out 5 mon

It's a topic that's fascinated me- the only time I can recall a champion not having to drop a belt upon getting injured.
Good thread only problem is no one really cares about the Divas, neither does the WWE.

· These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
15,304 Posts

well fuck man it is night time here in the states, but yeah they could have done something with the division during that time.

· One Winged Angel
3,708 Posts

You waited 42 minutes and then complained that you didn't receive a response? First of all, it's a thread about the divas... lol. Secondly, you do realize it's late at night, right?

· A superhero that saves your GF from your sex game.
3,910 Posts

WWE dropped alot of balls back in 2005...this is the last ball that people care about.

· Registered
1,188 Posts

I remember this happening and I always thought it was a bit disrespectful to all the other divas that could have held the belt. Same goes with Helms' time off with the CW title.

tbh with op though, it doesn't really look good when you bump your own threads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.