Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
2000 mainly for the edition of the Radicalz/Jericho/Angle's Rise/McMahon Helmsley Era/Taker's return as ABA/Triple H burying Rock

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts
Name one all-around good pay-per-view from 1999. Okay, No Mercy was all right, but mainly for the star-making Ladder Match between The Hardys and Edge & Christian.

2000? The Royal Rumble of that year is a true classic. No Way Out is pretty awesome. Wrestlemania's not especially great or anything but it's leagues better than the previous year's. Backlash 2000 is immense. Judgment Day is one of my favorite PPVs. King of the Ring, eh, nothing special, but it wasn't totally crap (King of the Ring '99? Yes, it was crap). Fully Loaded 2000? Yummy. Summerslam 2000 is fine. Unforgiven's all right, No Mercy's very solid with some very good matches at the top of the card. Survivor Series is messy but watchable until the OTT ending. The final PPV of the year was okay for the moment, and TONS better than the previous year's December offering.

Then there's the infusion of talent. Kurt Angle entered WWE/F in November 1999, so most of his blossoming as a talent occurred in 2000. That was the year of his rise. The Radicals. Jericho finally got out of the doldrums of the God-forsaken Chyna feud and got hot by late spring 2000 with an epic top-of-the-midcard feud opposite Benoit and a great heated feud with Triple H in the summer. Eddie Guerrero's entire arc for the year was fun to witness. Triple H was The God of Wrestling at the time. He seemingly could carry a yard stick to ****. The Rock was at his peak in many ways, at least as a beloved babyface. Foley's retirement; his run as the Commish. The magnificent tag team division with a plethora of hotly over tag teams that would wipe the floor with anything WWE could present in the tag division today. Engaging, long-running storylines (Trips/Steph/Kurt) with seeds planted early and given good follow-through. The McMahon-Helmsley Era.

So many remarkable matches. Triple H-Cactus Jack series, Benoit-Jericho series, Triple H-Rock series, Triple H-Jericho, Triple H-Benoit, Benoit-Rock, Rock-Angle, Triangle Ladder Match, TLC, it goes on and on and on. 1999 doesn't have anything that compares except maybe that one Ladder Match at No Mercy '99--otherwise it's dog shit in workrate terms in comparison to the following year.

The entire Ministry of Darkness/Corporation/latter-day Austin/McMahon War sucked and is devoid of any meaning. Sure, it was cool and hip at the time, I guess, but it has aged very poorly. The summer of '99 was weak. Billy Gunn as KOTR. When your hottest angle going into Summerslam is Test vs. Shane for the honor of an at-the-time-undeveloped Stephanie McMahon, you know you're in trouble. Things were looking up toward the end of the year--Jericho coming aboard in August, Triple H's megapush as a ruthless heel and the shotgun marriage with Stephanie, Russo leaving, Angle showing up... And those things contributed mightily to setting the table for 2000, a great year and one of the best in the WWE's history.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
hmm what's the big difference between 1999 and 2000 besides Austin not being there most of the year in 2000??? oh Vince Russo lololol

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts
hmm what's the big difference between 1999 and 2000 besides Austin not being there most of the year in 2000??? oh Vince Russo lololol
Exactly.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
2000. I love 1999 in WWF. But 2000 you had Hunter Foley at the start of the year. Hunter Rock into the summer. The rise of Kurt Angle from the IC/EC to the WWF title. The Radicals had come in. And the greatnes of the Triple H run and McMahon Helmsley Era

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I'd go with 2000. WWF 2000 was quite possibly the greatest all around year for any one North American promotion ever.
1989 NWA, 1992 WCW, 2002 WWE for my money are the best years. ROH had an amazing 2005 with great runs by Punk, Joe, Danielson, Gibson, Aries, Lethal getting a good push, Low Ki and Homicide being an awesome ass kicking heel team, Briscoes with their usual good stuff,Strong and Evans forming their fun team, Evan Bourne getting a chance to shine, AJ Styles had some good matches,Brian Kendrick had a good run, the Embassy was a super fun heel group yeah ROH ruled that year. I forgot about Alex Shelly being awesome and Colt Cabana!

·
Ho!
17,553 Posts
1999 had a fantastic main event storyline going on in the corporation/ministry, and rock/austin for the first half of the year that beats anything 2000 had storyline wise goes (2000 was still great though, don't get me wrong)...

... the thing is, 2000 beats 1999 in just about everything else. Mid-card, tag teams, match quality, etc. all beat 1999 by quite a lot. So yeah, 2000 wins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This thread has been done to death so I am surprised it wasn't deleted but 1999 was more entertaining than 2000. 1999 had heel Rock and Austin at his peak. Face Rock and better wrestling doesn't > it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I hated 1999 (aside from Stone Cold vs McMahon, Mick Foley push, and DX in early 99) and 2000 was among my top 2 or 3 so this is an easy one for me.

·
"This is real..."
1,201 Posts
2000. The year Kurt Angle won his first WWE Championship. Great year.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
in 99 about is getting guys over and establish stars with corporation/ministry thing. Mid 99 they went new direction with built around HHH to take over Austin while he went out for surgery but Rock is the guy. WWE call it Helmsley-Mcmahon era but it's not.

in 2000 WWE have additional established stars for Rock and Austin return in September to play with like Kurt-Jericho-Benoit on Main Event. that year on Midcard is really strong who are worthy main eventer not only HHH. Strong Tag Teams with APA-Hardy-Dudley-Edge & Christian-Too Cool, and with the Tag teams is not in Vince mcmahon eyes.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
DesoRow has this one covered. 2000 > 1999 all day long for me. My favorite year in wrestling history ever. Everything just clicked .

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I may be in the minority, but i'd say 1999.

- Austin still riding on his peak
- Rock's rapid rise in popularity
- Corporation Rock
- Austin/McMahon
- DX still going strong
- Triple H's rise
- The crowds were generally rowdy
- Angle and Jericho debut
- Admittedly most matches were sub-par, but there were plenty of great matches for my liking, such as the ladder match at No Mercy, Rock v. Austin at Mania and Backlash, Rock v. Mankind at the Rumble, Shane v. Test at Summerslam etc.
- Rock n Sock
- Foley wins the belt
- etc

21 - 40 of 46 Posts