Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you build the company around and give your three top titles? My pick would be IC, HBK World Bret and tag the Gunns

·
Registered
215 Posts
With hindsight knowing that Austin in 97-98 would end up being the one to take the WWF back to pop culture relevance id probably leave everything the way it unfolded in real life. Shawn deserved a run as face of the companyt. Without the benefit of hindsight i would've probably went with Bret Hart on top longer say until 98 then Shawn later on.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
World Title: Luger (as heel, feuding with former champion Diesel, then Razor Ramon and Bret Hart)
IC: Shawn Michaels (with an eye towards a world title run in 1996)
Tag-Team: Million Dollar Team (rotating members ala Freebirds, but core team of Sid and Yokozuna)

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
This is an easy one for me, and probably not an option that many people think about:

No doubt, I would have put the belt on Jerry Lawler for at least 6-8 months, and you could have had a host of options chasing him. Bret, Razor, Michaels, or Taker. But keep the belt on Lawler; he was an atomic heel at the time, was smarmy as hell, and people would have paid to see him get his ass kicked. Maybe the most underrated heel of the 90s.

Here's some good evidence of really great Lawler shit:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think the big problem in 1995 wasn't who they went with champions but the complete lack of strong heels. They turned the two main event heels from Mania babyface within weeks of the event. Backlund was gone shortly after as well. They built Mabel up out of nowhere. Nearly every guy they got to work a program with Diesel, Taker, Bret, or Shawn was gone by either the start of 1996 or a few months into it. Sid, Jeff Jarrett, Hakushi, Dean Douglas, Issac Yankeem DDS, Kama, Tatanka, King Kong Bundy, Jean Pierre Lafette. Four of the biggest heels (Sid, Bulldog, Owen, Yoko) were not even booked for SummerSlam. They picked up some decent new stars in Chris "Skip" Candido, Hakushi, Douglas, Triple H, Henry Godwin, and Waylon Mercy but really didn't do shit with them.

As bad a reputation as Diesel's title run gets, they really kind of booked him into a corner by having him work with either other babyfaces or immobile guys who couldn't do much offensively. Ditto for Undertaker.

·
Registered
620 Posts
World - Heel Lex Luger or Heel Diesel
I.C - Razor Ramon (building him up to dethrone Luger or Diesel)
Tag Titles - Owen Hart and Yoko. They were awesome.

·
Registered
18,880 Posts
Slowly turn Bret heel, let Shawn, Taker and Razor lead the babyface charge while Diesel is a tweener.

Don't wait until 97-98 to get edgy. Gangsta rap and grunge had already permeated pop culture, so going away from the kiddie stuff in 95 wouldn't have been too soon.

World - Bret

IC - 123 Kid

Tag - Owen & Yoko

·
Butter My Arse
11,734 Posts
- Put the world title on Razor Ramon and have him become a tweener
- Have The Undertaker feud with Bam Bam Bigelow throughout the summer (BBB stays heel but quits the Million Dollar Corp)
- Tweener Razor vs. babyface Shawn main event Summerslam for WWF Title
- Bulldog turns heel earlier and wins KOTR (just like his brother in laws the previous two years)
- Bulldog feuds with Diesel throughout the summer for title contendership
- Bret Hart stays feuding with Hakushi and Jerry Lawler
- Tag team scene to consist of teams like Owen/Yoko, Gunns, Kama/Sid, Jannetty/123 Kid, Body Donnas, Men On A Mission

Summerslam card:

HBK vs. Razor (c)
Diesel vs. British Bulldog
Bret Hart vs. Hakushi (c) w/ Jerry Lawler in his corner for IC title
The Undertaker vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
Owen Hart/Yokozuna vs. Smoking Gunns vs. Men On A Mission vs. Jannetty/123 Kid in a Four Way Elimination Match for tag titles
Skip vs. Barry Horowitz (keep this the same)
Bob Holly vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley (ditto)
Alundra Blayze vs. whoevershefoughtIcan’tremember

1 - 10 of 10 Posts