Wrestling Forum banner

Would 120,000 seats be sold if WrestleMania were held at Cowboys Stadium?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Sgt. Pepper
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
120,000 fans for WrestleMania? (UPDATE) HBK and HHH tease Cowboys Stadium WM!

So, I was watching a documentary tonight on the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX tonight on TV and they said that the stadium holds 111,000 people for a football game (which includes standing room only sections). They mentioned that IF there ever were to be a Boxing or Wrestling event held at the new Cowboys Stadium, the stadium would realistically hold 120,000 fans (because the ring takes little space, thus putting chairs on the football field around the ring).

My question is...IF the WWE decided to hold a future WrestleMania at Cowboys Stadium, do you think 120,000 tickets would sell?

Obviously if this happened the indoor attendance record would be shattered. Would it depend on the card of matches, or do you think 120,000 seats would sell regardless?

·
All Out
2,790 Posts
I bet they could do it, and they should - if they decide to announce Stone Cold Steve Austin's return to the ring a year before the event (like with Rock-Cena for Miami), and book him against Punk or something, they could draw a huge crowd in Texas (Austin's home state, and break an attendance record in the process).

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
If they had done it this year, with Rock vs Cena headlining it might have been possible to sell it out. But you also got to take into consideration the ramp and stage setup, which are usually pretty big and take up one side of the stadium, so 120,000 might not be realistic.

·
Sgt. Pepper
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bet they could do it, and they should - if they decide to announce Stone Cold Steve Austin's return to the ring a year before the event (like with Rock-Cena for Miami), and book him against Punk or something, they could draw a huge crowd in Texas (Austin's home state, and break an attendance record in the process).
Plus, (YES I KNOW HE SAID HE WOULD NEVER WRESTLE AGAIN!) bring back Shawn Michaels in some capacity...maybe as the Guest Host or Special Guest Referee, since HBK is also from Texas.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
80,000 seems to be WWE's record attendance. I think it's wishful thinking to think they can get to 100+ yet alone 120.

Undertaker is from Texas, and Taker Cena will probally be the Main Event. It'll draw but I don't think it hits that ridiculous number.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If they had good storylines going at the time and were able to pull some major star power that year it might be possible.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I think it's doable. Definitely would need a amazing main event. Like someone else said, if they would have done Rock/Cena here, they would have sold 120,000.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
i dont see the point of sitting that far from the action at any venue. You are essentially paying 50 dollars to go sit in a seat with 100,000 other people to watch the event on a screen. I can do the same thing at home with cheaper beer and snacks.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Hard to believe but maybe, maybe with this card:
Rock/HBK
Austin/Hogan
Taker/Sting
Shaq/Show

book this matches? sold out.
Old school crowd, mainstream crowd, current WWE crowd.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
I don't even know if you can give away all the tickets for free to fill up 120,000 but I do think they could sell about 90,000 and maybe try their best to give away the other ones and get locals to go but I don't see it happening because Dallas doesn't give a shit about WWE enough to sit up in the nose bleeds to watch a Randy Orton match.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have no doubt they could pack out Cowboy stadium

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Hard to believe but maybe, maybe with this card:
Rock/HBK
Austin/Hogan
Taker/Sting
Shaq/Show

book this matches? sold out.
Old school crowd, mainstream crowd, current WWE crowd.
Austin/Hogan and Taker/Sting sound awful now... In 1997, hell yes to both. And Shaq/Show? What the fuck...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't think there is any realistic card that could sell 120k tickets, not with the current crop of stars.

Rock/Cena is the biggest they could muster and I still don't see that selling that many tickets.

WWE needs a new boom period with someone other than Cena leading the WWE to pull that off.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Austin/Hogan and Taker/Sting sound awful now... In 1997, hell yes to both. And Shaq/Show? What the fuck...
Sting/Taker can still be a good match, Sting is in good shape and for one match? Taker can do it.
Austin/Hogan is just for the dream match, for the names and for the star power, people want to see that, match quality doesn't matter here.
Shaq/Show can bring different fanbase, you can't fill 120k with wrestling fans in 2011-2013...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts