Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Asuka
96,232 Posts
Interesting facts, but ultimately irrelevant. Led Zeppelin has no #1 singles but Rihanna has 10? Well, big deal. Stairway is like the most famous song in existence. Ke$ha's shitty single sold more than The Beatles? The Beatles are immortal and Ke$ha will be forgotten in 3 years. If anything, shit like this is just due to era differences and whatnot.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
While non of this is surprising in any way, it certainly raises an argument for the decline of western civilization. The majority is completely ignorant.

·
FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
6,560 Posts
Only idiots buy singles these days.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
It doesn't matter. Michael Jackson, Nirvana, REM, The Beatles, Queen, Bruce Springsteen will all be remembered for decades to come. Rhianna, Katy Perry, Kesha etc will not. Michael Jackson, Nirvana, REM, Queen, The Beatles also all produced much more worthy and memorable material than any of the modern day artists/bands.

·
FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
6,560 Posts
I'm assuming you mean singles that are on the LP, backed with remix b-sides, as opposed to bands releasing actual singles (non-album track, exclusive b-side, sick packaging like coloured vinyl etc)?
Yes.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
"The Black Eyed Peas' “I Gotta Feeling” is more popular than any Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song"

I thought this was supposed to be facts?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oyyyyyyyyy, most to all of these comparisons don't really matter, because everybody remembers the timeless stuff of Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Beatles, Queen, etc. Whose to say anyone will remember #12 in five to 10 years?

Anywho, the only thing that really caught my interest was #1 but not really because of the fact, because well, Creed is average, yet Alter Bridge rules and could be timeless, but who knows. Never thought that I would see three of four members of my favorite band shirtless though.

·
Premium Member
18,721 Posts
of course popular artist are going to sell comparative to older artist. Kesha probably won't be remembered in 10 years where as the beatles are gonna be remembered for a long time.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I lol'd hard at #12.

Interesting facts, but ultimately irrelevant. Led Zeppelin has no #1 singles but Rihanna has 10? Well, big deal. Stairway is like the most famous song in existence. Ke$ha's shitty single sold more than The Beatles? The Beatles are immortal and Ke$ha will be forgotten in 3 years. If anything, shit like this is just due to era differences and whatnot.
Yeah, so? Most of them are to do with technology and availability. The comparisons are useless and irrelevant.
Yah, this is what I was going to say as well.

RockCity™;10445885 said:
It doesn't matter. Michael Jackson, Nirvana, REM, The Beatles, Queen, Bruce Springsteen will all be remembered for decades to come. Rhianna, Katy Perry, Kesha etc will not. Michael Jackson, Nirvana, REM, Queen, The Beatles also all produced much more worthy and memorable material than any of the modern day artists/bands.
lolwut

There are several modern day artists/bands that are much better than Nirvana. That statement applies to REM too, but I decided to leave them out because unlike Nirvana, they were actually a great band.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well then obviously you're the reincarnation of someone and experiencing their nostalgia.

Seriously, bad music has always existed throughout time. It's just even more easier to find good modern music due to today's technology. It's just that crap like Soulja Boy is mainstream and will sadly experience more exposure than an actual good artist.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Thriller has more than 110 Million album sales, I'd like to see Katy Perry, Kesha and Rihanna match that combined, never mind on their own.

·
Old School
4,783 Posts
It's just a different generation. The mediums to which people can access, distribute, and purchase music is unparalleled to anything we had 2-4 decades ago and most who use these mediums are anywhere from 10-25 years of age. Most who use iTunes and all these other platforms that distribute music are of a different generation than those who grew up with the older music mentioned in the articles.

On top of that the music industry has grown substantially since the '60s and '70s. I'm sure if you compare revenue from movies or sales of TVs from now and then you'll get the same results as the creator(s) of this article did.

We've just grown as a nation and the mediums to which music is distributed, advertised, accessed, and purchased is just substantially different.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts