Wrestling Forum banner
521 - 540 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
He took 15 minutes to put away QT Marshall immediately after MJF was saying Punk is struggling with nobodies.

I though that was the whole point, tbh.
even commentary played this up

’not his best night in the ring’ and so on and so forth

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
A very hot/cold episode of Dynamite.

1. Excellent way to start the show with the unannounced arrival of MJF to confront CM Punk. That's two weeks in a row Tony started the show with promos, and while I would never advocate opening every week with a long promo, it's much better you do something with your top stars first than throwing some mindcard match at the kickoff.

As for the promo itself, Punk got a couple of good lines in, but MJF showed him up here. I doubt this is the last one. I hope we continue to see CM Punk evolve, as MJF brings out more and more of the old Punk that hasn't yet fully awoken from the 7-year hibernation. We got hints of that. Good stuff.

2. We go from red hot to ice cold. I was hoping QT would come out at the end and just get squashed by a newly-motivated Punk. Instead we got some long match. Tony, stop making your top guys struggle against geeks!

3. Random JE promo, OK. Christian is a much better ally than Marko Stunt but I can't help but think he's smothering Jungle Boy.

4. Very good segment from Kingston here. 2.0 are geeks but Eddie needs something in the downtime. I just hope they have him kill Garcia and those jabronis and not waste much time.

5. When I saw it was Gunn Club vs. Bear Country, it made me want to turn off my TV. I just read my big book on knights during this. Darby and Sting shouldn't be wasting any time at all with these geeks that should be released. Why in the blue hell would Tony think this is an acceptable thing to put on Dynamite?

6. Dante signs with Team Taz? We're gonna have to see where this goes. I'm not convinced he did.

7. Undisputed reunion vs. Best Friends...not my cup of tea, but I guess Cole needs to do something during this lull before a presumed power struggle in the Elite.

8. Rosa vs. Hayter was OK. Hayter is obviously not the complete player yet but that's OK. Interesting tease of a breakup with Baker.

9. Jericho also getting involved with the 2.0 geeks?

10. Danielson vs. Cabana was what it needed to be. It's a testament to how good he is that he's basically become full heel in a week. Hangman vs. him will be good, and AEW did exactly what it should have done this week with a brief physical confrontation. This honestly should have been the main event, just for that ending segment between them.

11. 8 man tag was what you'd expect. Now please get these guys away from each other. The fans even threw Cody's belt back. Ooof. This has become a real problem. Tony...Cody...this current act IS NOT WORKING. You need to do something different. Quickly. It's become a major distraction. Aren't you supposed to be the company that listens to the fans?

·
15,198 Posts
He took 15 minutes to put away QT Marshall immediately after MJF was saying Punk is struggling with nobodies.

I though that was the whole point, tbh.
I know the point. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy the vehicle driving the point home. Just like I know lettuce is good for me and full of antioxidants but I still avoid the salad at restaurants.

QT Marshall is lettuce. He is the human equivalent of standing in line to get your licence renewed.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,550 Posts
I know the point. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy the vehicle driving the point home. Just like I know lettuce is good for me and full of antioxidants but I still avoid the salad at restaurants.

QT Marshall is lettuce. He is the human equivalent of standing in line to get your licence renewed.
Just making sure ;)

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
I think it's interesting that AEW protected Jamie Hayter. She hadn't been protected at all up to now. Maybe she's gonna get a push? AEW noticing all the simps crushing on her?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Mad King vs Garcia should go one of two ways - he takes him under his wing as his young lion/second or absolutely anniliates him that causes The Blade to come out and make the save. The Blade was Garcia's trainer back at his Buffalo school, and with Butcher out for awhile, it would be a interesting to me undercard feud. The one time Pepper Parks can really work, but has always been that "good hand" because he can't connect. Blade also has kayfabe connection with Kingston from that time when Mad King had Butcher/Blade and Lucha Bros in that brief faction.

Garcia and 2.0 don't fit together. At all. 2.0 needs some big guy with size they could shit talk standing behind. Brian Cage could work here. Nick Comoroto would be better if they wanted to be a lower card act. Matt and Jeff could buy the contract of Comoroto from QT Marshall.

Parker and Lee must have a huge fan backstage to both get signed in the first place and then get used like this. IIRC Kevin Steen reached out to somebody in AEW about using these guys. I wonder if that is the ultimate connection. Could these guys be laying the ground work for Steen's debut? Steen with these two lackeys could be pretty interesting.

Punk vs Marshall was a good wrestling match. My issue with it is QT has been jobbing on Dark lately. I'll keep explaining because it keeps being brought up but top guys can let the lesser guys hang with them so they can "get their work in" and work on some things. It's almost like a heavy sparring session, or how black belts can roll with lesser belts and allow themselves to be put in perilous situations to then work on getting out.

Black is already an afterthought. Chewed up and spit out in the Codyverse. Just like Archer. Same with Ogogo. Brought in exclusively for a Cody program with no plan after Cody went over.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
I think AEW needs to tweak the 2point0 Daniel Garcia relationship. They need to be Garcia's hapless stooges. Instead he seems to be deferring to them and letting Matt Lee? do all the talking.

·
Hiding in the shadows
2,397 Posts
Pretty good show overall. Could have done without the Gunns vs Bears match and the amount of time they gave to Punk vs QT, but take those out and it stands on it's own.

I didn't mention the Punk/MJF back and forth because really, what can I say that hasn't been already said. Thumbs up to Rosa vs Hayter for a really good match. Unfortunately, it still seems like Jade will end up with the title.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
One thing I would've done was switch the Punk/QT (11:08) and Danielson/Colt (5:09) match times. We'd just had 20 minutes of Punk talking and the match itself was kind've plodding due to QT. On the other hand, Danielson and Colt have a rich history that was referenced and they were killing it, but the match was so short. It showed the vicious side of AmDrag but also that Colt can still go if he wants to.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,550 Posts
One thing I would've done was switch the Punk/QT (11:08) and Danielson/Colt (5:09) match times. We'd just had 20 minutes of Punk talking and the match itself was kind've plodding due to QT. On the other hand, Danielson and Colt have a rich history that was referenced and they were killing it, but the match was so short. It showed the vicious side of AmDrag but also that Colt can still go if he wants to.
Punk/QT match time played into the story, to be fair.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Mad King vs Garcia should go one of two ways - he takes him under his wing as his young lion/second or absolutely anniliates him that causes The Blade to come out and make the save. The Blade was Garcia's trainer back at his Buffalo school, and with Butcher out for awhile, it would be a interesting to me undercard feud. The one time Pepper Parks can really work, but has always been that "good hand" because he can't connect. Blade also has kayfabe connection with Kingston from that time when Mad King had Butcher/Blade and Lucha Bros in that brief faction.

Garcia and 2.0 don't fit together. At all. 2.0 needs some big guy with size they could shit talk standing behind. Brian Cage could work here. Nick Comoroto would be better if they wanted to be a lower card act. Matt and Jeff could buy the contract of Comoroto from QT Marshall.

Parker and Lee must have a huge fan backstage to both get signed in the first place and then get used like this. IIRC Kevin Steen reached out to somebody in AEW about using these guys. I wonder if that is the ultimate connection. Could these guys be laying the ground work for Steen's debut? Steen with these two lackeys could be pretty interesting.

Punk vs Marshall was a good wrestling match. My issue with it is QT has been jobbing on Dark lately. I'll keep explaining because it keeps being brought up but top guys can let the lesser guys hang with them so they can "get their work in" and work on some things. It's almost like a heavy sparring session, or how black belts can roll with lesser belts and allow themselves to be put in perilous situations to then work on getting out.

Black is already an afterthought. Chewed up and spit out in the Codyverse. Just like Archer. Same with Ogogo. Brought in exclusively for a Cody program with no plan after Cody went over.
Just remember who has been saying this shit since Day 1.

@Prosper still won’t admit to it

• Haha
Reactions: Prosper

·
Registered
177 Posts
I actually considered that my least favourite episode of Dynamite I'd seen. Not to be dramatic as I consistently enjoy the program, but it felt a bit different- more like a RAW episode.

The Good:
-Danielson continued evolution into a heel. Good on a big star taking on that role so soon after arrival. There is already one grey beard playing the returning hero (CM Punk) which doesn't do much for me. It is much easier to play a heel. Swapping to heel worked out very well for Omega, and Danielson benefits from it.
-MJF always the best on the Mic, and makes a long segment tolerable.
-8 man tag was interesting

The Bad:
-Way less in ring time, match quality
-Way more backstage skits

The Ugly
-A feud forming over which tag team is better friends :D
-Fans reaction to Cody. I actually liked Cody's apology promo a few weeks ago, but that was quickly forgotten, for the bandwagon fun of booing Cody. I guess he goes heel next and feuds with Pac.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
17,326 Posts
For the record, I don't see how Malakai Black is an "afterthought" when his team won IN THE MAIN-EVENT!

Hell, he blinded Pac with his mist; so that'll most likely be one of his next fun programs.

Malakai Black is STILL the only man to beat Cody Rhodes twice too.

Trashitty?

iM SoRry wHO?!
Hey, that's a good question, man :p

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
They should be allowed to be called the "New Midnight Express". Those AAA tag champion belts are absolutely hideous! Tully Blanchard looking spectacular.
Why do they have the AAA belts? It makes no sense, should of been Young Bucks to win them if Kenny had the AAA title, isnt Don Butthead supposed to be the keeper of the forbidden door or something? Why is just anybody allowed to use it?

The Lucha Bros vs FTR is getting stale, is FTW gonna win the AEW tag belts or not? Are the Lucha Bros going to take the AAA titles?

They are gonna push the boring Jungle Boy arent they 💀

So looking forward to Kyle O'Reilly jumping ship so ReDragon can reunite to take the titles, so then it will heat back up after a dreadful upcoming Jarissic Express run.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Those first 2 segments really did sum up AEW didn’t it?

MJF Vs Punk on the mic - amazing. 10/10
Then they follow it with Punk going 10 fucking minutes with QT Marshall and struggling past him.

Another week another tag match that becomes a tornado tag. Standard.

Jaimie Hayter… thiiiiiic.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I assume you listened to the opening segment, right?
I don’t care how you justify it. It’s shite.

“Oh MJF talked about how he’s struggling…”

And? Does that somehow mean I need to enjoy it? Does that somehow make CM fucking Punk being taken to his limit by QT fucking Marshall make any sense? What next? A 20 minute match against Sonny Kiss where I then need to hear “derp de derp that’s the story”

Cool. It’s lame. It sucks. It makes Punk look like a bitch. It strips his aura. At least have him struggle against someone vaguely decent from the midcard (like Spears) not QT fucking Marshall. Struggling against one of the lowest of low on the roster doesn’t make it good storytelling.

521 - 540 of 547 Posts