Wrestling Forum banner

741 - 760 of 764 Posts

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
8,763 Posts
Many real passionate wrestling fans rate the Young BUCKS highly because they’re a great tag team who are excellent in the ring, and who are charismatic too (otherwise crowds wouldn’t react to them at all).

Plus, they’ve consistently delivered some of the best tag team matches on AEW, (and I’m sure that they were killing it on NJPW with good matches too years ago). That opener last night was a solid banger, and just another example of how good the Young Bucks are in the ring.

It’s going to be really cool seeing the Young Bucks side with Kenny Omega eventually once the trio officially turns heel.
If that match was so great why wasn't there any psychology? And barely any selling? As I said the moves didn't flow to the next it was just them setting up one move after the next. It felt like nothing more than a gymnastics routine. Theres a huge difference between them and the way guys they likely idolized like RVD, Hardys etc that timed their spots well. and made a match work like magic. FTR doesn't need to do anything fancy to show that they know how to work and deliver a meaningful match.

And like I've mentioned to you before, people cheer for acts that either have great workrate, a good gimmick or whatever it is. Why does great crowd reactions always equal charisma? How do the Bucks carry themselves in a charismatic fashion at all in the way that they move, talk, etc? I don't see it. I'm sure Dean Malenko got great reactions during his time in WCW. Nowadays we're filled with people (especially midcarders) that barely have charisma so we have to find some reason to cheer for them.
People clap for a lot of things they like. That does not make those things the thing they purport to be.

I am not a fan of the Bucks, but I do not simply write them off as just an "indy flipper" team either, though they have invented that as a thing. The reason I do not is because I know they actually were trained on how to be wrestlers, they simply refuse to be that in most of their matches. To me that is worse than not knowing. Ignorance is bad, but it is understandable. Knowing how to work and refusing to is much, much worse.

They have had exactly two matches in AEW that I would call good. I probably do not even need to list them because they stand out against their usual nonsense, but they would be the match against what we are calling CowMega at Revolution and the one with FTR just recently at Full Gear. They also had a match against Butcher and Blade that was decent. In these matches they worked with much, much better teams who could lead them to a good match. When they are forced by good teams to work a more traditional style (read: hilariously basic things like actually selling, match psychology, logic, etc) they can do OK. They are still two below average looking middle school children who could never appear intimidating to your average audience member though. Nothing about them is believable.

In case I am not being clear, every second they exist leads to a decline in wrestling overall. They spit in the face of believability. All of this has been thoroughly documented elsewhere so I do not feel the need to go into it, especially because they have been vocal about being proud of that fact.

Aside from all that, they personally are also apparently huge Jesus freaks with papa Buck being an evangelical minister. So them believing in imaginary things is just par for the course.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
People clap for a lot of things they like. That does not make those things the thing they purport to be.

I am not a fan of the Bucks, but I do not simply write them off as just an "indy flipper" team either, though they have invented that as a thing. The reason I do not is because I know they actually were trained on how to be wrestlers, they simply refuse to be that in most of their matches. To me that is worse than not knowing. Ignorance is bad, but it is understandable. Knowing how to work and refusing to is much, much worse.

They have had exactly two matches in AEW that I would call good. I probably do not even need to list them because they stand out against their usual nonsense, but they would be the match against what we are calling CowMega at Revolution and the one with FTR just recently at Full Gear. They also had a match against Butcher in Blade that was decent. In these matches they worked with much, much better teams who could lead them to a good match. When they are forced by good teams to work a more traditional style (read: hilariously basic things like actually selling, match psychology, logic, etc) they can do OK. They are still two below average looking middle school children who could never appear intimidating to your average audience member though. Nothing about them is believable.

In case I am not being clear, every second they exist leads to a decline in wrestling overall. They spit in the face of believability. All of this has been thoroughly documented elsewhere so I do not feel the need to go into it, especially because they have been vocal about being proud of that fact.

Aside from all that, they personally are also apparently huge Jesus freaks with papa Buck being an evangelical minister. So them believing in imaginary things is just par for the course.
What a burial. Haha

·
Registered
331 Posts

They have had exactly two matches in AEW that I would call good. I probably do not even need to list them because they stand out against their usual nonsense, but they would be the match against what we are calling CowMega at Revolution and the one with FTR just recently at Full Gear. They also had a match against Butcher in Blade that was decent. In these matches they worked with much, much better teams who could lead them to a good match. When they are forced by good teams to work a more traditional style (read: hilariously basic things like actually selling, match psychology, logic, etc) they can do OK. They are still two below average looking middle school children who could never appear intimidating to your average audience member though. Nothing about them is believable.

So I take it that you won’t be buying their book?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I’m looking forward to their next book:

‘Killed our own business’
Cody rHHHodes will definitely be fighting for the Trademark Rights on that one.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
12,018 Posts
Thank God that the Young Bucks are around to strengthen the tag team division with their consistency in delivering thrilling/entertaining matches (since they’re definitely excellent wrestlers), and it’s really nice to see that they’re the current AEW World Tag Team Champions too.

They should honestly continue pushing the Young Bucks in the tag division in spite of the whiny critics who foolishly believe that they’re “killing” the business with their awesome tag matches.

What a burial. Haha
I’ve seen better burials by @Godway and what happened recently last week tbh.

·
Registered
96 Posts

They have had exactly two matches in AEW that I would call good. I probably do not even need to list them because they stand out against their usual nonsense, but they would be the match against what we are calling CowMega at Revolution and the one with FTR just recently at Full Gear. They also had a match against Butcher and Blade that was decent. In these matches they worked with much, much better teams who could lead them to a good match. When they are forced by good teams to work a more traditional style (read: hilariously basic things like actually selling, match psychology, logic, etc) they can do OK. They are still two below average looking middle school children who could never appear intimidating to your average audience member though. Nothing about them is believable.

Nice post. I can always appreciate someone who puts some wind up into their thoughts.

The most frustrating part is that if they really stuck to basics, I think they'd be able to put on some consistent matches and really help up and coming teams get over even only due to their "unwarranted reputation".

They could really, actually have a hand in building one of the best tag team divisions ever if they decide to put their ego's aside and commit to the business and craft itself. I really think of all of those guys, Kenny is the only one who would do something like that.

Not that I'd count on it, but AEW has already surpassed expectations I think in terms of its' tag team division and I just hope they continue to commit to it.

I'd almost prefer it be a predominantly tag team promotion with a thinner herd of singles competitors who are either contending for the top belt or contending for the TNT belt. Everyone else should be enhancing the product in other ways.

Maybe a rule like rookies can only be in tags for a year before they can have a singles match. It's clearly helping some of the guys develop with way less pressure. If there's any belt I'd be down to have added it would be some kind of Jr. Tag or TV tag or something. It's evident the top belts are gonna stick with a few elite teams near the top so everyone else needs something to compete for.

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see AEW host the Crockett Cup this year.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
8,763 Posts
Nice post. I can always appreciate someone who puts some wind up into their thoughts.

The most frustrating part is that if they really stuck to basics, I think they'd be able to put on some consistent matches and really help up and coming teams get over even only due to their "unwarranted reputation".

They could really, actually have a hand in building one of the best tag team divisions ever if they decide to put their ego's aside and commit to the business and craft itself. I really think of all of those guys, Kenny is the only one who would do something like that.

Not that I'd count on it, but AEW has already surpassed expectations I think in terms of its' tag team division and I just hope they continue to commit to it.

I'd almost prefer it be a predominantly tag team promotion with a thinner herd of singles competitors who are either contending for the top belt or contending for the TNT belt. Everyone else should be enhancing the product in other ways.

Maybe a rule like rookies can only be in tags for a year before they can have a singles match. It's clearly helping some of the guys develop with way less pressure. If there's any belt I'd be down to have added it would be some kind of Jr. Tag or TV tag or something. It's evident the top belts are gonna stick with a few elite teams near the top so everyone else needs something to compete for.

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see AEW host the Crockett Cup this year.
So, I actually like your idea to have rookies be in tag matches to take the pressure off. I had never really thought about that before honestly, and it is a good idea. I would still want them to have some singles matches to concurrently learn that, but have them be actual dark matches, aka not on YouTube. I think real training in front of a live crowd but not dissected by the general audience on TV helps a lot and that was very common back in the day, but missing today. House Shows are less and less common and nonexistent this year.

I am not sure I agree that they could have a hand in building a great tag division though. Have they shown some ability of business acumen somewhere ever that I am not aware of? No sentence I have ever heard them speak has ever contained any intelligent or original thought. I will admit I make effort to avoid listening to them though, so there could be stuff out there. It would be weird if their worst stuff was being aired on national TV and they were holding the good stuff back for smaller audiences though.

I am glad AEW is putting a focus on tag teams since WWE has basically scrapped any serious attempt at it for a long time. But if the Bucks are the ones training new teams to do their gymnast style, the product is going to become even more niche. What is the audience for gymnastics routines? I am guessing about 173 people globally in the 18-49 demo.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So, I actually like your idea to have rookies be in tag matches to take the pressure off. I had never really thought about that before honestly, and it is a good idea. I would still want them to have some singles matches to concurrently learn that, but have them be actual dark matches, aka not on YouTube. I think real training in front of a live crowd but not dissected by the general audience on TV helps a lot and that was very common back in the day, but missing today. House Shows are less and less common and nonexistent this year.

I am not sure I agree that they could have a hand in building a great tag division though. Have they shown some ability of business acumen somewhere ever that I am not aware of? No sentence I have ever heard them speak has ever contained any intelligent or original thought. I will admit I make effort to avoid listening to them though, so there could be stuff out there. It would be weird if their worst stuff was being aired on national TV and they were holding the good stuff back for smaller audiences though.

I am glad AEW is putting a focus on tag teams since WWE has basically scrapped any serious attempt at it for a long time. But if the Bucks are the ones training new teams to do their gymnast style, the product is going to become even more niche. What is the audience for gymnastics routines? I am guessing about 173 people globally in the 18-49 demo.
Totally agree on paragraph 1. This is why Dark and hopefully talent exchange programs will help as these kids need all the practice they can get and DARK provides them with that for now. I'd love to see a show specifically focused on up and coming talents in a more reality based setting too, before they even get to DARK.

On paragraph 2 - listen, I only said that because of their position in the company. I have zero faith they will but I'm just hoping they look at the opportunity to build a new legacy for themselves. Pipe dream I know but it remains true that the opportunity to establish tag team wrestling for another 10+ years is in front of them and if they choose to do what's right for business, it can be done.

Then again none of us know how much power any of these guys really have. So its all moot.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
8,763 Posts
Totally agree on paragraph 1. This is why Dark and hopefully talent exchange programs will help as these kids need all the practice they can get and DARK provides them with that for now. I'd love to see a show specifically focused on up and coming talents in a more reality based setting too, before they even get to DARK.

On paragraph 2 - listen, I only said that because of their position in the company. I have zero faith they will but I'm just hoping they look at the opportunity to build a new legacy for themselves. Pipe dream I know but it remains true that the opportunity to establish tag team wrestling for another 10+ years is in front of them and if they choose to do what's right for business, it can be done.

Then again none of us know how much power any of these guys really have. So its all moot.
Yeah, them pushing for tag teams to be better featured is good. The problem we run into is what they seem to be defining tag teams to be. Guys like Top Flight, who I actually do see a lot of potential in could be ruined if they get taught bad fundamentals. They have Arn, Tully, and Jake all on staff. Arn and Tully were two of the best tag team wrestlers ever. THOSE guys should and I hope do train the guys behind the scenes. Sadly, Arn has said on his podcast that he has not been asked to do anything other than be an onscreen character though which is insane to me. How you could be paying these three guys to show up every week and not have them teaching the young guys is bonkers to me. I really, really hope that changes.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Seems young bucks dont see the old school mentality in up and coming tag teams they want to make sure they incorporate the flip floppy style to any tag teams coming through.

Not using these legends behind the scenes just proves where AEW is at.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

They have had exactly two matches in AEW that I would call good. I probably do not even need to list them because they stand out against their usual nonsense, but they would be the match against what we are calling CowMega at Revolution and the one with FTR just recently at Full Gear.
Honestly if their match against FTR is one of their best in AEW, then the Bucks may be doomed. I didn't see anything memorable in that match. And FTR usually have stellar matches.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
8,763 Posts
Honestly if their match against FTR is one of their best in AEW, then the Bucks may be doomed. I didn't see anything memorable in that match. And FTR usually have stellar matches.
Oh, it was not a great match to me. But it was not insulting on multiple levels to me like most Bucks matches are. No one will remember it in a year.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, them pushing for tag teams to be better featured is good. The problem we run into is what they seem to be defining tag teams to be. Guys like Top Flight, who I actually do see a lot of potential in could be ruined if they get taught bad fundamentals. They have Arn, Tully, and Jake all on staff. Arn and Tully were two of the best tag team wrestlers ever. THOSE guys should and I hope do train the guys behind the scenes. Sadly, Arn has said on his podcast that he has not been asked to do anything other than be an onscreen character though which is insane to me. How you could be paying these three guys to show up every week and not have them teaching the young guys is bonkers to me. I really, really hope that changes.
Fuck the Young Bucks. Them being in an EVP position just keeps encouraging more of the same as far as I can see... If it was just Private Party being a flippy team that'd be fine but it's an internal competition at this point. SCU, Jurassic Express, hell the fucking Natural Nightmares had a ladder spot last week! Nearly every team is about high flying at this point and it makes it boring.

I WOULD think flips were exciting if it was just one or two teams doing it (and not in 30 minute matches)

741 - 760 of 764 Posts