I DIDN"T ASK FOR THIS
Pre-show: WWE announced a Twitter poll stipulation for the Roman Reigns vs. Big Show main event. Reigns's mention got a big pop.
Overall, surprisingly decent crowd given the huge lack of star power on this show compared to the New Mexico show. If I were to eyeball it, I would say around 5,000 in attendance. The lower bowl was full and the upper level was mostly empty with pockets of sold tickets.
(1) R-Truth beat Tyson Kidd. Cheap heat for Kidd wearing a Calgary Flames jersey in Edmonton. Truth won with downward spiral. Decent opener. (**1/2)
(2) Darren Young beat Adam Rose. Nothing match. I spent most of the match trying to figure out which local wrestlers were Rosebuds tonight. Young won with a roll-up, then Rose attacked Rosebuds after the match. (*)
(3) Ryback beat Kane. Lots of punching and kicking, then Ryback won with Shellshock. (1/2*)
Connor the Crusher promo. All the feels.
(4) WWE tag champs The Usos beat The Miz & Damien Mizdow to retain the Tag Titles. Mizdow got the first really strong ovation of the night. Miz cheap-heated the crowd ripping the Oilers. Usos then cut a promo about how no one likes Miz and everybody loves Sandow. He mentioned going to WWE.com to sign up for the Network, which drew boos since we still can't get it legally in Alberta. As for the match, Mizdow's act is super distracting and hilarious in-person. Fun match. Usos won after a superkick party and splash. (**1/2)
Chris Jericho came out in his gear for the Highlight Reel. Great ovation for Jericho, who cut a good Jericho promo. Cesaro interrupted to talk some trash in English and Swiss, which led to...
(5) Chris Jericho beat Cesaro. Cesaro doesn't get a whole lot of time to shine on TV, but he thrives on house shows with plenty of time in his matches to showcase his actual personality. Excellent back and forth match won by Jericho with the Codebreaker. Always great watching Jericho because you never know if/when he will be back. (***1/2)
(6) Naomi & Emma & NXT Women's champion Charlotte beat Summer Rae & Cameron & NXT'er Sasha Banks in a six-Divas tag match. Quite interesting teams. Charlotte got a bunch of Woos and worked as a traditional babyface. The NXT girls are so great; Death Ray is doing great work in Florida. Naomi won in about six minutes pinning Cameron with the Rear View.
Big Show promo. He got a good pop and the first line of his promo was: "You're going to boo me now?" Funny. He talked trash about Reigns.
(7) U.S. champion Rusev (w/Lana) beat Erick Rowan via submission to retain the U.S. Title. Rusev got a surprisingly mixed reaction. Lana ripped on Canada to turn the crowd on them before hyping Fast Lane. Decent pop for Rowan. Typical big-man power match that Rusev won fairly quickly with The Accolade. (*1/2)
The Main Event was Roman Reigns vs. Big Show in a Street Fight. Very strong pop for Reigns, the former Edmonton Eskimo.
(8) Roman Reigns beat Big Show in a Street Fight. Pretty much the same match we have seen forever on Smackdown. Big Show has such as strong presence live and is still a very good big man. Tables, steps, and other plunder were used. Fun WWE main event-style brawl that the crowd was quite invested in. They teased a Reigns spear through the table a few times, then Reigns won with a spear through the table in around 15 minutes.
Quite a fun show even with the lack of star power. House shows are always very fun to attend.
- Roman Reigns
- Chris Jericho
- Tyson Kidd
- Big Show