Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 747 Posts

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Tbh I think just advertising cody in another open challenge to an unknown challenger would have added more hype to the show than hager vs cody as it would at the very least got fans intrigued and wildly speculating about who it could be on a special episode of dynamite.
Might be hard to find someone new with the current situation.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Jericho is the reason why Hager is with AEW and in such a prominent role. Tony/EVP's wanted Anthony Ogogo in the role, Jericho wanted a name brand for his IC muscle and mentioned Hager and the rest is history.

He doesn't wrestle enough to be getting the title shots - and then he loses them anyways. I mean where does he go from here now? Back to just being a tagalong to Jericho?

There is no real reason to even book this match - Cody could have fought anybody given his open challenge gimmick and Hager could have just not wrestled and thus lost another big match.
I don't see a good reason to protect Hager.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Might be hard to find someone new with the current situation.
It wouldn't even have to be some spectacular name, just a mildly surprise challenger would be passable, hell have it be sammy, most fans watching probably pop for it seeing as most thought he was unfairly suspended.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is what happens when you have an EVP who doesn’t know how to book long term and only cares about himself and being the 1st ever TNT champion.

He should’ve took the L to Archer at double or nothing and now we would be having Cody vs Archer 2 after 4 weeks of Jake and archer demolishing/harassing Cody’s friends/family. That is what was best for business during this pandemic.

Instead Cody had his moment, we had matches against jungle boy (with smoke and mirrors), mark quen and Ricky starks, the worst press conference in the history of sport where Cody brought his whole family and more, and Cody vs Hager which nobody is excited for and will probably main event over omega/page.

Meanwhile Archer has been MIA most weeks and has a match with Joey Janela, a guy who shouldn’t be on dynamite, let alone a PPv, and who has recently started a new tag team but is fighting singles again for some reason.

·
Premium Member
13,035 Posts
This is what happens when you have an EVP who doesn’t know how to book long term and only cares about himself and being the 1st ever TNT champion.

He should’ve took the L to Archer at double or nothing and now we would be having Cody vs Archer 2 after 4 weeks of Jake and archer demolishing/harassing Cody’s friends/family. That is what was best for business during this pandemic.

Instead Cody had his moment, we had matches against jungle boy (with smoke and mirrors), mark quen and Ricky starks, the worst press conference in the history of sport where Cody brought his whole family and more, and Cody vs Hager which nobody is excited for and will probably main event over omega/page.

Meanwhile Archer has been MIA most weeks and has a match with Joey Janela, a guy who shouldn’t be on dynamite, let alone a PPv, and who has recently started a new tag team but is fighting singles again for some reason.
if yo haven't kept up, AEW barely do rematches.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
I think in this instance they could have made an exception due to it being such a personal feud. The 1 and done booking is not going to work long term because they will run out of options.
After Fyter Fest Archer is coming back in the titles picture.

·
Premium Member
13,035 Posts
I think in this instance they could have made an exception due to it being such a personal feud. The 1 and done booking is not going to work long term because they will run out of options.
it is the opposite. it is actually long term booking. the feud will still feel fresh if they wish to revisit it. if you have a rematch 4-5 times like WWE does, it is hard to revisit it in the future.

·
Registered
64 Posts
After Fyter Fest Archer is coming back in the titles picture.
Personally I feel he should never have been out of the titles picture, he was brought in as an unstoppable monster who got stopped at the first sign of competition. Has there been anything to suggest he will be back in the title picture? Genuine request as I may have missed something

·
Registered
64 Posts
it is the opposite. it is actually long term booking. the feud will still feel fresh if they wish to revisit it. if you have a rematch 4-5 times like WWE does, it is hard to revisit it in the future.
I’m not saying they need 5 or 6 rematches back to back in generic WWE fashion, just something similar to omega vs Pac where they use a gimmick as a decider. It would have filled the pandemic hole nicely.

·
Premium Member
13,035 Posts
I’m not saying they need 5 or 6 rematches back to back in generic WWE fashion, just something similar to omega vs Pac where they use a gimmick as a decider. It would have filled the pandemic hole nicely.
yeah i can't disagree with you tbh. I would've hoped that Archer moved onto something bigger straight after, but he didn't.

·
Registered
22,276 Posts
Jericho is the reason why Hager is with AEW and in such a prominent role. Tony/EVP's wanted Anthony Ogogo in the role, Jericho wanted a name brand for his IC muscle and mentioned Hager and the rest is history.

He doesn't wrestle enough to be getting the title shots - and then he loses them anyways. I mean where does he go from here now? Back to just being a tagalong to Jericho?

There is no real reason to even book this match - Cody could have fought anybody given his open challenge gimmick and Hager could have just not wrestled and thus lost another big match.
To bad Darby is either kayfabe or seriously injured because Cody vs Darby seems like such a no brainer for FyterFest. Marks a year of their first match, could've got Darby a big win, and it'd put over that "hey this belt can change hands so every match is must watch".

·
Registered
22,276 Posts
They just need a good go between like most things they try to do different. Even as a WWE fan them doing 17 matches between TV and PPV in a 3 month feud gets boring by the end. But on the flip AEW doing these mostly one and done matches limits how much depth they could have in any given feud.

Now not everything needs to get that treatment. But Jake threatening to ruin him, Archer beating his brother up, and Jake humping his wife should've made this a feud that couldn't be one off regardless of winner. Archer losing should've made them up the ante. They should've stole his dog, went and intimidated his mother, and pissed on a fake Dusty grave. Something that showed that losing made them even angrier with Cody.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They just need a good go between like most things they try to do different. Even as a WWE fan them doing 17 matches between TV and PPV in a 3 month feud gets boring by the end. But on the flip AEW doing these mostly one and done matches limits how much depth they could have in any given feud.

Now not everything needs to get that treatment. But Jake threatening to ruin him, Archer beating his brother up, and Jake humping his wife should've made this a feud that couldn't be one off regardless of winner. Archer losing should've made them up the ante. They should've stole his dog, went and intimidated his mother, and pissed on a fake Dusty grave. Something that showed that losing made them even angrier with Cody.
I could have lived with the Archer loss had Cody sneaked victory by the skin of his teeth which sent archer and Jake into an everybody dies frenzy where they force Cody into giving him another title shot.

Or even have Archer win and then Cody goes into a frenzy, kidnapping Jake etc

Either way would have been better than what we got

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wouldn't mind Archer vs Mox at All Out but it would take some building to get to that point
They had a great match in NJPW and after the way Archer has been treated I’d fully get behind his world title run because it’s politics that buried him, not lack of talent/presence. An unsanctioned archer/Mox match would be awesome.

61 - 80 of 747 Posts