Wrestling Forum banner

301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
What we've learned is that Omega and the Young Bucks have no business doing anything creative in AEW. Even Cody shouldn't be trusted with as much as he is right now.

They need an independent booker who can do it objectively, who's going to look out for the best interests of Khan and the company over any individual star.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
I hated the comedy match this week...but Omega had 3 great matches this year
The word great gets thrown around a lot with Omega and AEW. He's probably had 5 great matches his entire career, 100 really good matches though and then another 100 of these bullshit comedy matches. If his body is breaking down and he's always injured after his matches, my idea of The Final Boss Kenny Omega needs to happen even more. Have his minions fight for him and then if they earn the right to wrestle Omega they can have their precious 5 star match. He shouldn't be wasted wrestling 20 minute matches on Dynamite.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The word great gets thrown around a lot with Omega and AEW. He's probably had 5 great matches his entire career, 100 really good matches though and then another 100 of these bullshit comedy matches. If his body is breaking down and he's always injured after his matches, my idea of The Final Boss Kenny Omega needs to happen even more. Have his minions fight for him and then if they earn the right to wrestle Omega they can have their precious 5 star match. He shouldn't be wasted wrestling 20 minute matches on Dynamite.
I think that's something AEW hasn't picked up yet either. Your top stars don't need to wrestle every week and you are allowed to build up to things. Look at Hogan in WCW there was a year or two where he'd probably have wrestled under 10 matches on free TV and when he did it was a big deal. AEW EASILY could've done the same thing with Omega which not only saves his body (If that is indeed an issue) but treated Omega like the big star that he's meant to be.

Save him for the PPV's or TV specials (Bash At The Beach, Jericho Cruise etc) and give it 2-3 weeks hype on every occasion. You could have JR put Omega over as one of the greatest modern pro wrestlers achieving 15 five star matches and being the greatest gaijin from Japan ever rah rah rah. When Omega wrestles on TV it's special and a big deal and it's a big deal that his opponents get to wrestle him also because if they beat Omega it means more fame, more dollars and more respect. Suddenly you have yourself a big main event player.

Instead Omega has always just been a guy from day one and has even made appearances on AEW Dark which implies he's not good enough for the main show. He's now become a midcard act and there is nothing special about him.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
What we've learned is that Omega and the Young Bucks have no business doing anything creative in AEW. Even Cody shouldn't be trusted with as much as he is right now.

They need an independent booker who can do it objectively, who's going to look out for the best interests of Khan and the company over any individual star.
Meh. It's one bad segment. Before this shitty virus shut everything down, Kenny and The Bucks were in the best storyline.

It's just my opinion but there have been a lot more good episodes of Dynamite than bad ones.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
Meh. It's one bad segment. Before this shitty virus shut everything down, Kenny and The Bucks were in the best storyline.

It's just my opinion but there have been a lot more good episodes of Dynamite than bad ones.
Kenny and The Bucks were stinking up that story line on the mic too though, Has there been an episode that didn't have something stupid and unnecessary on it though?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The problem with Kenny not being on Dynamite wrestling so often is...the match quality of the shows takes a massive, massive hit. I love the idea of Final Boss Kenny Omega, but the matches on Dynamite would suddenly be in the dumpster.

Like it or not, Omega has been carrying the in-ring portion of AEW for a while. Every great tag match where Page runs wild? Page has a 1-2 minute burst with the hot tag that gets him over. Otherwise, it’s typical Omega stuff.

And a couple people have said they spoke to Cody about keeping his big guns off tv and not in matches every week to avoid overexposure. It would not be surprising that he undermined his show from Day 1 by getting Kenny in matches as often as possible for that very reason.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
The problem with Kenny not being on Dynamite wrestling so often is...the match quality of the shows takes a massive, massive hit. I love the idea of Final Boss Kenny Omega, but the matches on Dynamite would suddenly be in the dumpster.

Like it or not, Omega has been carrying the in-ring portion of AEW for a while. Every great tag match where Page runs wild? Page has a 1-2 minute burst with the hot tag that gets him over. Otherwise, it’s typical Omega stuff.

And a couple people have said they spoke to Cody about keeping his big guns off tv and not in matches every week to avoid overexposure. It would not be surprising that he undermined his show from Day 1 by getting Kenny in matches as often as possible for that very reason.
The match quality can afford to take a slight hit. They can still have long matches, the tag division, Trent, Sammy, Darby, Scorpio, PAC can all have those sort of matches still and I'm sure they can carry others in those matches. They need to focus on story lines, character building and being better on the mic. Showing off what everyone is actually good at and hiring the right people who can actually cut a promo and wrestle. Having wrestlers who can only do one of those is a detriment to AEW, unless they are used properly like Wardlow or have a manager.

Why do the matches need to go 20 minutes when they could do just as much in 13 minutes? There's a million ads, do they do rest holds during the breaks? These matches aren't great for the longevity of the roster at all, let alone their stars. There's a reason Jericho has been on top for so long. He looks after himself and doesn't take dumb risks. This is all based on the rumors that Kenny is broken anyway. If he's not and can keep doing it, that's fine. But they need to make him and others feel special somehow.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I agree with all that and love the idea of Final Boss Kenny Omega. You can make every Kenny match a massive big deal, worthy of buying the PPV, etc, but I’ve said since November that it felt like Cody and the Bucks had taken Kenny for a ride. If a story doesn’t involve those 3, it is not the main storyline. Even Jericho/Moxley, while a big deal, was treated like a secondary angle in importance to Cody vs MJF.

But regardless of all that, they need more from Kenny. If he simply can’t do it anymore, then what is the point in paying that Kenny Omega price tag for someone to do Nakazawa comedy? If he can but his bump card is limited, then you need to do some things to protect him. You obviously can’t trust him to not put together his own vignettes without the dumb BTE level comedy shit, so lean on his respect for Jericho to talk to him and steer him o that side of the wrestling business. As someone he called one of his favorite wrestlers growing up, he might be willing to listen.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Interesting to see Sugar D making the most of his opportunity. Kid seemingly has paid his dues, but also about being in the right place at the right time with so many AEW wrestlers stuck in California and NY and Sugar D based out of Atlanta he could make the tapings and now in a program with Jericho in a way. I wonder if this means he's signed with AEW, even just a developmental deal of sorts.

Archer vs Colt TNT Title Tourney will air, as well as a Chuck Taylor vs Kip Sabian for some weird reason. No storyline going into that one, and Kip still has his TNT match with Goldust to air as well so not sure a ready made program to come out of the match either. Maybe Sabian teams with flatmate Jimmy Havoc in a Best Friends vs Flatmates match. With Best Friends only tag team to make the tapings, they need to get creative to use them.

301 - 312 of 312 Posts