Wrestling Forum banner

261 - 280 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I thought Matt Hardy's "delete" drones, crazy mystical prophet mumbo jumbo was fun... early on back when it first came out on Impact / TNA. Moving to new brand doesn't make an old gimmick fresh. I was already exhausted two promotions ago. On the good side, Matt looks like he's slimmed down again. He was needing to delete a few LBs in the WWE.

·
Premium Member
43,784 Posts
This show was no where near as good as last week's...but you know these Empty Arena shows are tough, so its hard for me to criticize AEW or WWE too much.

The best parts of last night's show were 1) Chris Jericho trash talking Vanguard 1, 2) Jake Roberts promo, 3) Sammy Guevara just being Sammy Guevara.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Darby is so awesome. And AEW has such a stacked mid-card. Sammy, Darby, MJF, Cody, Kip, Jungle Boy, Joey Janela, Jimmy Havoc, etc. They need a title to tear it up over soon.

The Brodie Lee match did it's job well enough.

The Jericho/Hardy segment was hilarious.

Kenny vs. Sammy was awesome.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Darby is so awesome. And AEW has such a stacked mid-card. Sammy, Darby, MJF, Cody, Kip, Jungle Boy, Joey Janela, Jimmy Havoc, etc. They need a title to tear it up over soon.

The Brodie Lee match did it's job well enough.

The Jericho/Hardy segment was hilarious.

Kenny vs. Sammy was awesome.
Hardly a stacked midcard; I'll give you the first four, but Kip is an enhancement talent, Jimmy Havoc is feuding with Luther on Dark, and Janela is completely useless in every conceivable way. Jungle Boy has potential, but aside from that one match with Jericho months back, he's been tagging with Marko Stunt in 6 man comedy matches most of the time.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Can't stand that idiotic portion of internet fans that dislike anything that isn't realistic. We're forever told that unrealistic gimmicks of the past wouldn't work in this reality era, as though we've somehow evolved to only enjoy something that is rooted in absolute verifiable fact. But you know full well that a 3000 year old entity that resides in a vessel, that can teleport, would most definitely work in this day and age. People would eat it up. No one in their right mind would watch wrestling and refuse their cooperation on the basis that it's just too fantastical. Wrestling, like entertainment, in general is improved by incorporating elements based in fantasy. That's why Barry S02e05 is the highest rated episode, because it's the least plausible and most absurd. People love absurdity. There's always a minority that will flap their gums and demand hyper realism because it's "2020", completely ignoring that the entire landscape of entertainment consumption in "2020" reflects an increasing interest in the fantasy and supernatural, based on viewing figures of shows on Netflix, Prime and HBO, to name a few.
I wouldn’t mind SOME level of supernatural work at play. If he does the Sting style teleportation where it is clear he is using multiple people.

It is beyond fucking stupid to have him literally teleport more than even David Copperfield, who at least uses a curtain to hide the mystery of if he’s literally teleporting or doing a “trick”. To then make Schiavonne, Cody, Omega, and the rest of us at home try and play along with him literally disappearing and reappearing is fucking stupid to the levels of early 1990s “sports entertainment”.

It may get over with the fans and create more widespread appeal, but I have always hated sports entertainment. I like wrestling. Keep the silly shit to a minimum. Or leave the “how” of the silly shit open to interpretation, such as Hardy being “broken” and only thinking this stuff.

I legitimately felt bad watching Jericho ask Hardy how he done that.

I really dug Brodie Lee's promo and match. I'm surprised so many people are down on it.

Personally, I thought the way he humiliated the Dark Order jobbers was hilarious.

Is it solely because he took a shot at Vince?
I didn’t knlw the Vince “sneeze” thing, so I loved the segment. I can see how knowing it is a shot at Vince would annoy some, but other than that, I think it was really well done.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Show was good all things considered. Jericho/Hardy was surreal. Even my wife who doensn't get into watching it much was laughing her ass off at it.

No MJF in the crowd lowered this but it's not their fault. Sammy is becoming more and more entertaining each week and had a great performance vs Kenny. Jake is still a master at talking. Darby/Sabian match was good and what can you say about Ford. Brodie needs to keep wrecking ppl and I hope he sheds those 2 dorks and I nearly pissed my pants laughing at him flipping out over the sneezing. Cody was fine on commentary but Kenny was as expected awkward.

As far as twitter trends I was on about 12:30 AM EST and AEWDynamite was #2 and Jericho was #15 and NXT was not listed.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I really dug Brodie Lee's promo and match. I'm surprised so many people are down on it.

Personally, I thought the way he humiliated the Dark Order jobbers was hilarious.

Is it solely because he took a shot at Vince?
Shot at Vince aside it was just kind of weird. Like I could see a cult leader or Brodie Lee abusing his underlings, but would expect it to be more physical than a verbal lashing. Then the suit was kind of weird, especially considering his ring attire still kind of has that backwoods Luke Harper feel. Idk it just didn't feel like an intimidating vignette for a guy who's supposed to be intimidating. It's like is it supposed to be comedic or nah?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I liked the hardy stuff but this is coming from someone that loved lucha underground, what I will say for aew though is that they kinda have to be careful and be solid with what direction they want to go in with their product, you cant really be doing a more serious sports style wrestling show with a ranking system and then have these surreal things like teleportation in your show because it's going to hurt them in gaining an audience that want something specific from a wrestling product.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Teleportation garbage is no different than dick flips and wrestling invisible opponents. Matt Hardy has magic powers now - why doesn't he just teleport out of pins eventually? So friggin stupid. Braindead decision making by Tony Khan.

Undertaker and Kane could get a pass because they did it for 20 years. Matt Hardy and his shit ideas booked himself super powers for the first time as a 45 yr old very known entity in 2020.

Fuck him. And fuck any decision makers who allowed that to be on television.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Teleportation garbage is no different than dick flips and wrestling invisible opponents. Matt Hardy has magic powers now - why doesn't he just teleport out of pins eventually? So friggin stupid. Braindead decision making by Tony Khan.

Undertaker and Kane could get a pass because they did it for 20 years. Matt Hardy and his shit ideas booked himself super powers for the first time as a 45 yr old very known entity in 2020.

Fuck him. And fuck any decision makers who allowed that to be on television.
I’m with you on this. It really, really fucking bothered me. It totally buries anyone and everyone who tries to make the show sports-based.

I tuned out in 2001, because I wasn’t about to watch “sports entertainment”. I can just as easily do it again.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
people are down on lee because hes not a star,Its just not going to happen. And im for one that tried to see something in talent that has come to AEW that never ended up having it. So i get it to assume but facts are facts a year from now you will see this guy aint going to do shit.

No disrespect he seems solid enough and that is fine. But AEW needs to slow down on bringing in so many guys that are just fine. Thankfully they have a handful of really good talent on the rise to having it.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
That teleportation thing from Matt Hardy last night was a little too much guys. And AEW is supposed to have more of a sports feel. Can't feel like a sports thing if you have someone who can teleport to the ring. I was wondering what was up with the whole point of that Brodie Lee eating steak segment and then it hit me that he was spoofing Vince McMahon. Nice job. Last night's show wasn't that good as other weeks though. Best match of the night was Omega/Sammy Guevara

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That teleportation thing from Matt Hardy last night was a little too much guys. And AEW is supposed to have more of a sports feel. Can't feel like a sports thing if you have someone who can teleport to the ring. I was wondering what was up with the whole point of that Brodie Lee eating steak segment and then it hit me that he was spoofing Vince McMahon. Nice job. Last night's show wasn't that good as other weeks though. Best match of the night was Omega/Sammy Guevara
Kenny stays carrying the matches portion of the shows.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Nobody was making the comparison before Cody said it. It was always Jeff Hardy comparisons. And he has a long way to go before those comparisons mean anything because he's not even close to either of them. Plus he's a cunt
I heard the Sting comparison from Conrad on the Grilling JR podcast like two weeks ago, so you are innacurate.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I heard the Sting comparison from Conrad on the Grilling JR podcast like two weeks ago, so you are innacurate.
The only similarity is that they have face paint. That is 100% the only way Darby has anything in common with Sting.

Also I might be wrong in saying "nobody" but that is semantics, barely anyone thinks or believes they are comparable and those that do are dumb or have no idea about who Sting was.

261 - 280 of 315 Posts