Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
 
IronMan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,960
Points: 6,395
                     
Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

People say they’re sick of Roman always being champion, but the stats don’t support this view.

2015:

1st reign: 5 minutes 15 seconds
2nd reign: 6 weeks

2016:
3rd reign: 2 months

2018:
1st Universal reign: 2 months

Unbelievably, Roman’s cumulative championship reigns have lasted for less than 6 months.

To put that in perspective, that’s 11 days more than Jinder Mahal, about a month less than Daniel Bryan, a year less than AJ Styles, and about the same as Shaemus or The Miz. Roman is less successful than Kurt Angle was during the Attitude Era.

In the last 3 years, he’s held the title for less than 3 months.

Interestingly, when he vacated the title due to leukaemia (despite Meltzer saying it was a work) he said when he comes back “it won’t be about titles or being on top”... but Vince never replayed that line in the million replays.

This suggests to me that Roman doesn’t want the title.

Along with the Moxley comments about Roman hating being forced to say the “sufferin’ succotash” line, maybe Roman is sick of working closely with Vince? He’s been rewarded more than most, but in other ways, he’s been damaged and harmed by Vince’s creative more than anyone. Why would he want that spot?

All things considered, what should Roman’s future title picture look like?
IronMan8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 AM
 
Soul Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,112
Points: 6,663
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

Put all the fucking belts on Roman.

Soul Rex is online now  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 AM
HEADBANGA
 
Ham and Egger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,071
Points: 19,726
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

People are sick of Roman being da face of the company, unfavorably maineventing all those manias. He's obviously was booked the top guy but rarely held the title. A weird bit of booking.
iarwain likes this.




Quote:
I am the New Game. When I am defending my title I'm defending it in GOD MODE! -EC3

Last edited by Ham and Egger; 06-06-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Ham and Egger is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:41 AM
 
Mifune Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,989
Points: 6,805
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

It is rather unfortunate that he hasn't had a long enough reign to let it all play out. It's kinda his fault for getting busted in 2016, though.

And it was dumb to take the belt off of Reigns in the Rumble that year. HHH really didn't need a reign. You can have a strong enough heel built up to challenge the babyface champion. Only unimaginative people default to "The Chase" and think it's the only story in wrestling.

Orton challenging HHH at WM25 and Andre challenging Hogan immediately come to mind as heels challenging faces in feuds that worked (despite the stupid finish at WM25). It's really not that hard.


Last edited by Mifune Jackson; 06-06-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Mifune Jackson is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 AM
Moron
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,315
Points: 4,289
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

Dean was the leader of the Shield from Day 1. Why they had to turn him into a goofball and push Roman and Seth to the moon is beyond me. It's gonna come back to kick them in the ass.
McGee is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:56 AM
 
Laughable Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,244
Points: 44,397
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham and Egger View Post
People are sick of Roman being da face of the company, unfavorably maineventing all those manias. He's obviously was booked the top guy but rarely held the title. A weird bit of booking.
All you need is to look at the context of all those title reigns.

His first title reign he lost after being cashed into by Sheamus, won it back pretty much immediately after, only lost it after having to put it on the line against 29 other people, only to win it back in the main event of Wrestlemania. Just because he wasn't the champion the whole way doesn't mean he wasn't the top guy the whole time.

He only lost the title to Rollins because he got hit by the wellness policy test, then the title went to Ambrose to be the top title on Smackdown. Don't worry about Roman since he now has the UC to fight for.

Roman was still in his depush phase so he was in the midcard for a while, and they were super interested in Balor and Rollins at the time. This was the only period where I felt like they didn't have much plans for Reigns, until mania season came along and suddenly out of no where Reigns vs Taker was booked and main evented Mania, signalling the restart of his push.

From then on, Vince was dead set on having Roman be the one to beat Brock for the title so cue Brock destroying everyone for a year and a half until Roman comes in and unseats Brock. Only for the cancer to show up forcing him to relinquish it.

He was always primed for the world title for most of the time since his first world title win. The only time he ever lost it fairly was to Seth, and Seth was returning hot at the time while Roman got busted by the wellness policy. Had that not happened and had Roman had not gotten cancer, I'd guess you'd see he'd be having much longer title reigns,
Ham and Egger likes this.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1p8SFdNzHFG7ucy12LjzImGeYfEh_q8xCNpCsUBPJkbKUsbUf
Laughable Chimp is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,447
Points: 7,475
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

Honestly, I kinda feel bad for Roman. Instead of getting over or not on his own Vince shoved a rocket up his butt and propelled him to the top. Many of the fans rejected him because he was Vince's new toy.

Roman never really had a chance to be..........Joe
and see if that worked or not.
Piehound is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:01 AM
HEADBANGA
 
Ham and Egger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,071
Points: 19,726
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughable Chimp View Post
All you need is to look at the context of all those title reigns.

His first title reign he lost after being cashed into by Sheamus, won it back pretty much immediately after, only lost it after having to put it on the line against 29 other people, only to win it back in the main event of Wrestlemania. Just because he wasn't the champion the whole way doesn't mean he wasn't the top guy the whole time.

He only lost the title to Rollins because he got hit by the wellness policy test, then the title went to Ambrose to be the top title on Smackdown. Don't worry about Roman since he now has the UC to fight for.

Roman was still in his depush phase so he was in the midcard for a while, and they were super interested in Balor and Rollins at the time. This was the only period where I felt like they didn't have much plans for Reigns, until mania season came along and suddenly out of no where Reigns vs Taker was booked and main evented Mania, signalling the restart of his push.

From then on, Vince was dead set on having Roman be the one to beat Brock for the title so cue Brock destroying everyone for a year and a half until Roman comes in and unseats Brock. Only for the cancer to show up forcing him to relinquish it.

He was always primed for the world title for most of the time since his first world title win. The only time he ever lost it fairly was to Seth, and Seth was returning hot at the time while Roman got busted by the wellness policy. Had that not happened and had Roman had not gotten cancer, I'd guess you'd see he'd be having much longer title reigns,
Thanks for the refresher. I wonder if they're gearing up for another Reigns title win that will be the long reign they've been trying to do for a while now.




Quote:
I am the New Game. When I am defending my title I'm defending it in GOD MODE! -EC3
Ham and Egger is online now  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:14 AM
 
DoctorWhosawhatsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Tardis, All of Time and Space
Posts: 11,893
Points: 37,568
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan8 View Post
People say they’re sick of Roman always being champion
That's a gross oversimplification bordering on trolling.

And don't pretend you don't know what people's issue with Roman really is, it's been discussed at length for years now.
DammitC and A-C-P like this.

DoctorWhosawhatsit is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:17 AM
 
ClintDagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Las Colinas, TX
Posts: 2,126
Points: 6,375
                     
Re: Put the belt on Roman - only held it less than 6 months

Straw man argument. There’s never been an overwhelming complaint of Roman being champion. The complaints have been about Roman sucking up all of the oxygen and being in the wrestlemania main event several years in a row.
DammitC likes this.
ClintDagger is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome