why Mark Henry is actually a ratings draw...and Im defending Orton - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Tag Teaming With James Ellsworth
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,193
Points: 520
                     
why Mark Henry is actually a ratings draw...and Im defending Orton

I imagine this will get interesting. In pro wrestling you have your all time biggest draws ever...Hogan, Andre, Stone Cold,.....then comes Rock....and then just below that you get Cena, Batista, HHH, Taker....and believe it or not then you get Big show and Mark Henry for example. Mark Henry is actually a decent draw. The big question is why is a big star like Randy...who is mega over not a big draw....yet Mark Henry is a bigger draw?
IMO i think people who take time out of their weekends to watch smackdown want to see something fresh. Orton as a champ is not new and if you havent noticed he draws a little better when he's chasing. The live crowd and tv land gets a little bored when he has the title because he is in all likelyhood going to win and retain for a while. Henry on the other hand is a wildcard and lets face it...just like mysterio draws the hispanics.....henry draws more african americans. I know a few african americans that got more invested in wrestling when henry was champ. Henry however is an amazing heel regardless. Henry represents fresh and has a huge backing in a minortiy group....while Orton is expected to have the title....the crowd expects it...and therefore when Orton is champ....the idea of anything can happen on a live show loses its value.

andromeda_1979 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,758
Points: 0
                     
Re: why Mark Henry is actually a ratings draw...and Im defending Orton

Quote:
Hogan, Andre, Stone Cold,.....then comes Rock....and then just below that you get Cena, Batista, HHH, Taker...
good call
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 PM
 
DB Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Points: 0
 
Re: why Mark Henry is actually a ratings draw...and Im defending Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda_1979 View Post
I imagine this will get interesting. In pro wrestling you have your all time biggest draws ever...Hogan, Andre, Stone Cold,.....then comes Rock....and then just below that you get Cena, Batista, HHH, Taker....and believe it or not then you get Big show and Mark Henry for example. Mark Henry is actually a decent draw. The big question is why is a big star like Randy...who is mega over not a big draw....yet Mark Henry is a bigger draw?
IMO i think people who take time out of their weekends to watch smackdown want to see something fresh. Orton as a champ is not new and if you havent noticed he draws a little better when he's chasing. The live crowd and tv land gets a little bored when he has the title because he is in all likelyhood going to win and retain for a while. Henry on the other hand is a wildcard and lets face it...just like mysterio draws the hispanics.....henry draws more african americans. I know a few african americans that got more invested in wrestling when henry was champ. Henry however is an amazing heel regardless. Henry represents fresh and has a huge backing in a minortiy group....while Orton is expected to have the title....the crowd expects it...and therefore when Orton is champ....the idea of anything can happen on a live show loses its value.
Highest rating ever for WWE? This Your Life

Did rating crash or something between Survivor Series 1999 - No Mercy 2000? Greatest Year in WWE history

The Rock is just as big of a draw as Austin (On the same "level" at least like Hogan)
DB Sucks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Regularly Beating Up James Ellsworth
 
Jobberwacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Job Centre of the Universal Job Match.gov.uk
Posts: 3,492
Points: 0
                     
Re: why Mark Henry is actually a ratings draw...and Im defending Orton

Another major reason could be that Mark Henry's from the AE. People have an un-told connection with him, he's always been there somewhere. They've also probably spent years thinking this guy is or should be a beast. Then after so long he was allowed to be that force. It was fresh and original yet obvious and natural. He had a great time opening the hall of pain.

I think people bought tickets to see that event because they themselves could understand how great it was, and yet at the sametime how much they could connect with not wanting to be an inductee. He's a credible nasty heel, something we don't see alot of nowadays. Then of course it goes without saying demographics play some part, i think that's a reason why people don't point it out more often, or maybe for fear of saying the wrong thing or getting into a debate. No thank-you BTW.
Jobberwacky is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Asking JAMES ELLSWORTH for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 396
Points: 24
 
Re: why Mark Henry is actually a ratings draw...and Im defending Orton

Lol @ Rock being as big a draw as Austin. Cool story bro.
TheVenomousViper is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Solid12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 197
Points: 0
     
Re: why Mark Henry is actually a ratings draw...and Im defending Orton

Same old nonsense. How is he a draw? All this ratings and money talk is just received knowledge that really isn't founded on anything. Beyond people tuning into Foley winning the title in the monday night wars and the 'this is your life rock' segment it's difficult to say whether someone like Henry is a draw.

http://mookers.tumblr.com/

"It's blue cheese with wings or go fuck your mother."
Solid12 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Trying to Impress Vince McMahon
 
Borias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis Park, MN
Posts: 6,360
Points: 896
                     
Re: why Mark Henry is actually a ratings draw...and Im defending Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid12 View Post
Same old nonsense. How is he a draw? All this ratings and money talk is just received knowledge that really isn't founded on anything. Beyond people tuning into Foley winning the title in the monday night wars and the 'this is your life rock' segment it's difficult to say whether someone like Henry is a draw.
I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I made time to watch Smackdown when Mark was in the ME scene almost every week, because it interested me, and I enjoyed it. I haven't as much since then. And not because I dislike DB either. Aside from some of the horrid Mark Henry/Big Show matches, I thoroughly enjoyed his main event run. I haven't been all that interested since. Hopefully after WM that will change again.


Call Kenny Loggins. Cause you're in the Danger Zone.
Borias is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome