WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S.'ing THE NUMBERS. - Page 8 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums

 159Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:17 AM
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
 
Death Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,938
Points: 22,621
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond1985 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by validreasoning View Post
What promotion was there on raw/sd? I can't remember any on the actual shows and they would run those five second ads during the break.

Social media isn't promotion that will reach the tv watching audience. The majority of cable viewers are men over 50. I doubt but a tiny percentage visit WWE social media. Promotion is what Fox is doing for SD debut currently.

Live wrestling..you mean RAW and SD. They are institutions on TV at this stage. Not sure a live episode of main event or superstars would draw much interest
Sigh

There was ads on RAW and Smackdown for the show. The NXT brand has been mentioned on RAW and Smackdown for years, it's not like it's 3rd string show.

A higher percentage of NXT's audience were young people than RAW. Showing that a lot of its audience is probably active on social media.
Funny cause there was next to no promotion on raw and smackdown according to wrestletalk so I think you are wrong when you say it had a loads of promotion as it really did not



Spoiler for Don't be sad it is over, be happy it happened:

Death Rider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:08 AM
 
Chan Hung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14,082
Points: 3,935
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris JeriG.O.A.T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The XL 2 View Post
I'm not surprised they did 1.2 on the debut, I'm not sure why everyone is. If they can sustain 1 mil going forward I'll be surprised. I suspect, NXT and AEW will both hover around 600-800K for a while until one pulls away a bit
This. NXT didn't give casuals who might've been checking it out for the first time any reason to come back next week, I expect a massive dropp off over the next 3 weeks as people see that all NXT has to offer is indy wrestling and bad booking.
I wont tune in anymore. I am really new to the product and after 20 min I changed the channel.
Chris JeriG.O.A.T likes this.

Chan Hung is offline  
post #73 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:49 AM
 
raymond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 869
Points: 2,755
                     
Re: WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S. JUST THE NUMBERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Rider View Post
Funny cause there was next to no promotion on raw and smackdown according to wrestletalk so I think you are wrong when you say it had a loads of promotion as it really did not
It was still promoted enough elsewhere. And there were ads on RAW and Smackdown.

Regardless, the number is nothing special. It's about as expected. As one would expect from a show with no real stars on it.

The IWC have always overestimated the appeal of workrate-based wrestling and Meltzer's darlings. Some on here claim that Bryan was the next Cena. But when WWE crunched the numbers and their wider context, they found that he wasn't
raymond1985 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #74 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:11 PM
 
Zappers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 3,734
Points: 12,608
                     
Re: WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S. JUST THE NUMBERS.

1.179M .... Not bad for show full of "development" wrestlers ... huh Kenny?

Now imagine if NXT took away the "squash" match and substituted it for one of the Network hour matches. Or just had a one hour show, not a 2nd hour on the network. It confused the "new" watchers. Easily would have pulled in 1.3 or better.

Meanwhile AEW is selling tickets for $6. NXT is gonna crush them in the long run, NXT is super motivated now after those ratings and trashing by the competitors top guy. Not to mention USA Network is gonna amp up it's advertising.

As far as AEW beating them in their debut night. Probably will happen. But that will be just a gimmick. People are gonna tune in just to see the "new" product, what's the hype all about. NXT this week wasn't a gimmick. The entire WWE universe already is aware of NXT and their wrestlers. They tuned in because they enjoy the product.

Last edited by Zappers; 09-20-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Zappers is offline  
post #75 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:29 PM
 
TD Stinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,428
Points: 66,576
                     
Re: WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S. JUST THE NUMBERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris JeriG.O.A.T View Post
It's indy wrestling because there were no promos, no characters besides Dream, no storylines and no motivations for anything that happened, it's just wrestling and since 99% of the roster comes from the indies how's it any different than one of the serious indies like Evolve?.
Huh? I mean, I keep seeing you say this? "There were no storylines" over and over.

OK, the opening match, was highlighted by a rivalry that is currently going on between Io and Candice. Weeks of them feuding with each other was highlighted in this match, not to mention the match had stakes as well.

Dream vs. Roddy is a match they've been building for weeks centered around the idea of TUE holding all the gold, with Roddy going as far to burn Dream's couch, which has been a storyline happening all year.

Walter and Kushida created a new storyline on this show.

The show ended with a wild brawl caused by the chaos that Riddle and Dain have been causing for months now.

Ö.I'm sorry, how were there no storylines? I mean were there a bunch or promos or things like that? No, but since when is that the only way to start, continue, or end a story. They did all of that with mostly in ring action, along with some squash and enhancement matches.

Will that formula work every week? Probably not, but to say there were no storylines or motivations when that clearly isn't the case is just wrong.

TD Stinger is online now  
post #76 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:06 PM
The Empire will Reign again
 
Chris JeriG.O.A.T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,388
Points: 45,400
                     
Re: WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S. JUST THE NUMBERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Stinger View Post
Huh? I mean, I keep seeing you say this? "There were no storylines" over and over.

OK, the opening match, was highlighted by a rivalry that is currently going on between Io and Candice. Weeks of them feuding with each other was highlighted in this match, not to mention the match had stakes as well.

Dream vs. Roddy is a match they've been building for weeks centered around the idea of TUE holding all the gold, with Roddy going as far to burn Dream's couch, which has been a storyline happening all year.

Walter and Kushida created a new storyline on this show.

The show ended with a wild brawl caused by the chaos that Riddle and Dain have been causing for months now.

Ö.I'm sorry, how were there no storylines? I mean were there a bunch or promos or things like that? No, but since when is that the only way to start, continue, or end a story. They did all of that with mostly in ring action, along with some squash and enhancement matches.

Will that formula work every week? Probably not, but to say there were no storylines or motivations when that clearly isn't the case is just wrong.
You're right, I misspoke-- there are no weighty storylines with logical progression. NXT storylines are extremely simplistic, they have no intrigue and they don't ramp up, because characters don't interact except for beatdowns and there's no motivations for anything that happens.

Io turned on Candice because she couldn't beat Shayna, what? She's no closer to the women's title and she accomplished absolutely nothing. That's not a good storyline.

Roderick got a title shot and lost, so he sets the champs couch on fire to get another one. Deep storyline there, tons of build./s

Kushida is mad because Walter stole his tv time against a nobody.

Killian Dain and Matt Riddle have been brawling for 2 months and we still have no idea why Dain attacked him, that's literally the absence of a storyline. NXT ended with a big nonsensical brawl that had no context because aside from Dain and Riddle, nobody who was involved in it is currently in a feud, so why were tensions so high amongst a bunch of people that don't have any beef with each other?


NXt has one trick in it's book and that's the beatdowns but when you start the "story" off with it the only thing to do is trade beatdowns until the ppv match since NXT is allergic to promos.

Shilling for Xia Li, Aliyah, Bianca Belair and Rhea Ripley



Chris JeriG.O.A.T is online now  
post #77 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 PM
 
TD Stinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,428
Points: 66,576
                     
Re: WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S. JUST THE NUMBERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris JeriG.O.A.T View Post
You're right, I misspoke-- there are no weighty storylines with logical progression. NXT storylines are extremely simplistic, they have no intrigue and they don't ramp up, because characters don't interact except for beatdowns and there's no motivations for anything that happens.

Io turned on Candice because she couldn't beat Shayna, what? She's no closer to the women's title and she accomplished absolutely nothing. That's not a good storyline.

Roderick got a title shot and lost, so he sets the champs couch on fire to get another one. Deep storyline there, tons of build./s

Kushida is mad because Walter stole his tv time against a nobody.

Killian Dain and Matt Riddle have been brawling for 2 months and we still have no idea why Dain attacked him, that's literally the absence of a storyline. NXT ended with a big nonsensical brawl that had no context because aside from Dain and Riddle, nobody who was involved in it is currently in a feud, so why were tensions so high amongst a bunch of people that don't have any beef with each other?


NXt has one trick in it's book and that's the beatdowns but when you start the "story" off with it the only thing to do is trade beatdowns until the ppv match since NXT is allergic to promos.
Look, I know you well enough to know that I'm not going to change your mind, but I can provide a counter argument.

Io turned on Candice because she couldn't beat Shayna. To me that's not looking deep enough. Io was in NXT for a long time basically just as "Kairi's friend." Kairi leaves, and now Io and Candice bond. She faces Shayna twice, both time with a friend in her corner, and she snaps because how the losses affect her.

In her mind now, she's been doing everything wrong and she wants to get rid of the dead weight because now she needs no friends. So now she unleashes a new side of herself and has seemingly found her way. But in doing all of this, she created an enemy out of Candice, who slid her way into a Women's Title match because of Io's actions.

You say "well Io is no closer to getting the title." Right, and it's because of the chain reaction her heel turn caused with Candice. She became who she wanted, but made a new enemy in the process. To me that that is an interesting story.

Roderick was in a 3 Way match where he didn't get pinned, the same match that was 1 on 1 until Dunne arrived. So he fought for another title match, and now there's even more pressure on him as his TUE brothers now all have gold and he doesn't, so he goes as far to burn Dream's couch that he used in multiple promos.

I mean you're a Dream fan, right? The guy once had the feud of the year by trying to get Aleister Black to say his name. So for Roddy to destroy Dream's personal property, yes, I do believe that enhanced the story. And even if you don't believe that, how is this any worse than a story I've heard you praise that involves forklifts and hit and runs?

Kushida was upset that Walter took out his opponent? Yeah, he should. It was a big night, Kushida was set to have a match, but he never even got that opportunity because Walter took it away from him. And in kayfabe it stopped Kushida from winning the winner's paycheck, something that has been highlighted more and more on WWE TV recently.

So you shrug that off as not a big deal, but why wouldn't Kushida see it as a big deal?

The one thing I will agree with you on is the Riddle vs. Dain feud. We never got a great explanation to why Dain attacked Riddle. And yes, the brawl felt forced. But at the same time, there's nothing wrong with a wild and fun brawl. Chaos for the sake of chaos, used in moderation, can be fun.

So yeah, safe to say we disagree. Like I said, in ring action can be just as great of a medium to tell stories as promos are. And for this week, I think NXT did a good job for the most part.
DammitC likes this.

TD Stinger is online now  
post #78 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:50 PM
 
Soul_Body's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: The Land Of Kush
Posts: 886
Points: 2,702
                     
Re: WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S. JUST THE NUMBERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberbandGoat View Post
I think AEW will beat them every week. You guys underestimate their interest
Honestly the first show of AEW might just top NXT's rating.
Soul_Body is offline  
post #79 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:07 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3,503
Points: 10,698
                     
Re: WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S. JUST THE NUMBERS.

We will see in 2 weeks but it's a weird feeling because if AEW does better than NXT it will not be a big surprise and if AEW does not better than NXT it will also not be a big surprise.
rbl85 is offline  
post #80 of 229 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:13 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,179
Points: 9,603
                     
Re: WWE NXT TV Ratings Thread: NO B.S. JUST THE NUMBERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Body View Post
Honestly the first show of AEW might just top NXT's rating.
The first show of AEW will get 1.7M. It will be a shocking success, but AEW will be unable to sustain it and come back to earth in the coming weeks.
Seafort is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome