What does TNA/Impact call traditional gauntlet matches? - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Daggdag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,444
Points: 7,610
                     
What does TNA/Impact call traditional gauntlet matches?

I know that TNA doesn't use the term gauntlet match for the same type of match that other promotions do...

In most promotions, a gauntlet match is a match in which wrestlers compete in one on one matches with the winner facing another opponent, with a certain number of competitors scheduled to come out, and the winning being the final competitor standing.

In TNA/Impact, an gauntlet match is a type battle royal. The match starts out under normal over-the-top-rope battle royal rules, but changes to singles match rules once there are only two competitors left.




So, what does TNA/Impact call what other promotions call gauntlet matches? I'm sure they've had them before, but I can't remember what they were called.

All-Time Favorite Wrestlers:
The "Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels
"Macho Man" Randy Savage
Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Jake "The Snake" Roberts
The Undertaker
Chris Benoit
Sting
Chris Jericho


Current Favorite Wrestlers:
"The American Dragon" Bryan Danielson
"The Phenomenal" AJ Styles
"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels
Ben Satterly (AKA PAC and Adrian Neville)
"The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" Austin Aries
CM Punk
Jack Evans
Low-Ki
Nigel McGuinness (AKA Desmond Wolfe)
Nick Aldis (AKA Magnus)

Last edited by Daggdag; 03-12-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Daggdag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 PM
 
Ashley Whittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 145
Points: 606
   
Re: What does TNA/Impact call traditional gauntlet matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggdag View Post
I know that TNA doesn't use the term gauntlet match for the same type of match that other promotions do...

In most promotions, a gauntlet match is a match in which wrestlers compete in one on one matches with the winner facing another opponent, with a certain number of competitors scheduled to come out, and the winning being the final competitor standing.

In TNA/Impact, an gauntlet match is a type battle royal. The match starts out under normal over-the-top-rope battle royal rules, but changes to singles match rules once there are only two competitors left.




So, what does TNA/Impact call what other promotions call gauntlet matches? I'm sure they've had them before, but I can't remember what they were called.
They usually do call them Gauntlets in fact. If the match is for a world title or number 1 contendership (and it usually is) then it's Gauntlet for the Gold. It's also been refereed to as a battle royale before too.
Ashley Whittle is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:02 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,279
Points: 4,314
                     
Re: What does TNA/Impact call traditional gauntlet matches?

Guantelete
brewjo32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
 
Daggdag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,444
Points: 7,610
                     
Re: What does TNA/Impact call traditional gauntlet matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Whittle View Post
They usually do call them Gauntlets in fact. If the match is for a world title or number 1 contendership (and it usually is) then it's Gauntlet for the Gold. It's also been refereed to as a battle royale before too.
Wait.....so they have two different types of matches both called gauntlet matches?

All-Time Favorite Wrestlers:
The "Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels
"Macho Man" Randy Savage
Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Jake "The Snake" Roberts
The Undertaker
Chris Benoit
Sting
Chris Jericho


Current Favorite Wrestlers:
"The American Dragon" Bryan Danielson
"The Phenomenal" AJ Styles
"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels
Ben Satterly (AKA PAC and Adrian Neville)
"The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" Austin Aries
CM Punk
Jack Evans
Low-Ki
Nigel McGuinness (AKA Desmond Wolfe)
Nick Aldis (AKA Magnus)

Last edited by Daggdag; 03-13-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Daggdag is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 03:16 PM
 
Ashley Whittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 145
Points: 606
   
Re: What does TNA/Impact call traditional gauntlet matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggdag View Post
Wait.....so they have two different types of matches both called gauntlet matches?
Gauntlet is usually entrants are called out one by one and enter the ring. Battle Royale's are all participants enter the ring at the beginning of the match. Reverse Battle Royale's are all wrestlers begin the match on the outside of the ring (only done twice in company history).
Ashley Whittle is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Daggdag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,444
Points: 7,610
                     
Re: What does TNA/Impact call traditional gauntlet matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Whittle View Post
Gauntlet is usually entrants are called out one by one and enter the ring. Battle Royale's are all participants enter the ring at the beginning of the match. Reverse Battle Royale's are all wrestlers begin the match on the outside of the ring (only done twice in company history).


No, outside of TNA/Impact a gauntlet match is a specific type of match match, which is basically a series of singles matches with new competitors coming out whenever someone gains a fall, and the winner being the last person not eliminated. But normally, there are only two people in the ring at any given time, and the next person doesn't enter until there is an elimination.

TNA uses the word gauntlet in a completely different way. Their Gauntlet matches are still battle royals, just like the royal rumble is still considered a battle royal. But in other promotions, gauntlet matches are not like that.

I am asking if they have a word for the type of

All-Time Favorite Wrestlers:
The "Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels
"Macho Man" Randy Savage
Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Jake "The Snake" Roberts
The Undertaker
Chris Benoit
Sting
Chris Jericho


Current Favorite Wrestlers:
"The American Dragon" Bryan Danielson
"The Phenomenal" AJ Styles
"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels
Ben Satterly (AKA PAC and Adrian Neville)
"The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" Austin Aries
CM Punk
Jack Evans
Low-Ki
Nigel McGuinness (AKA Desmond Wolfe)
Nick Aldis (AKA Magnus)

Last edited by Daggdag; 03-13-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Daggdag is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome