Re: What is one of your favorite pre-match promos?
Off the top of my head, here are my Top Ten (listed Chronologically):
1) The Old Guard Superstars Attitude Era Promo = This is the promo that supposedly made Vince cry, but to hear the legends like Monsoon, Bobo, Blassie, and a few others talk about their time in the ring in this beautifully produced video package, it showed that the edge of the Attitude Era wasn't always about shock value, but about hitting all emotions as well. This was a very respectful piece that everyone should go out of their way to see.
2) The Undertaker Vs. Kane: WrestleMania XIV = "The revelation of a damned soul!" Seriously, watch this thing. Its great. All the theatrics and over the top nature of it made it even better. Between them shooting lightning at each other and setting people on fire, this thing was a hoot. Paul Bearer is also delightfully evil in this thing.
3) Vince McMahon's Master Plan: Breakdown 1998 = This was the PPV intro IIRC. Watch this thing as it is one of the best showcases for the type of intensity that the Austin/McMahon storyline had.
4) The Rock Vs. Mankind I Quit Match: Royal Rumble 1999 = This thing not only highlights the career of Mick Foley and the strengths of The Rock, but it is so damn quotable! "I will not say them, here nor there, I will not say them anywhere! I will not say those words you twit, I will not will not say I quit!"
Or how about The Rock "How is the Rock going to make Mankind say I Quit? A Corporate Elbow here and a Corporate Elbow there. And the Rock plans on Sprinkling a Rock Bottom here and a Rock Bottom there" and his Announce Table bit is flipping great too. "English Announce Table, Spanish Announce Table, HO CHI MINH CHOW! Chinese announce table! All the languages down The Rock's Rumble!".
And Foley punctuated it with his intense and chilling "There will be no count outs, no disqualifications, no Corporate members allowed at Ringside, no stopping the match for excessive blood loss. You see what I am going to do very simply, is beat the living hell out of you until you can not take it anymore and you look up at me with that ridiculous eyebrow and you say the two magic words Rock...I QUIT!"
Awesome stuff. That might be my number one favorite of all time honestly.
5) The Inaugural Brawl: Invasion 2001 = For all the crap we got out of the Invasion, this was a nice video package, showing Austin's decline, unwillingness to go back to his old ways, and ultimate explosion back into the Rattlesnake we all know and love (for all of less than a week).
6) Hollywood Hogan Vs. The Rock: WrestleMania X-8 = Beautifully edited to give weight to what this dream match meant, with JR's sound bytes to perfectly escalate everything (and to be fair, even some of Cole's lines worked really well for the package). The real highlight was Rock's passionate speech to Hogan "They LOVED you! They BELIEVED in you! And Damn it The Rock believed in you!" which sounds a lot better when you cut out the silly punchline Rock put on the line in the actual segment.
7) Shawn Michaels Vs. Chris Jericho: WrestleMania XIX = They edited this one to have Jericho speaking calmly and softly at first and then he gets more and more intense throughout as he compares himself to HBK. "I AM BETTER THAN YOU SHAWN! I'M MORE CHARISMATIC THAN YOU SHAWN! MY SKILLS HAVE SURPASSED YOURS". I love this one.
8) Vince McMahon Vs. Hulk Hogan: WrestleMania XIX = Same PPV as above! Whoa. Anyway, the softer music used her kind of helped paint the picture of the long history between these two, as well as the use of both old footage from Hogan's heyday and their then current rivalry. Having Mean Gene doing voiceover for it always worked beautifully.
9) Undertaker Vs. Kane: WrestleMania XX = Another Taker/Kane one! This one set the stage beautifully for the Return of the Deadman.
10) John Cena Vs. CM Punk: Money in the Bank 2011 = The excitement and chaotic nature of this whole situation was captured in that video package flawlessly.
Last edited by TripleG; 05-17-2019 at 09:15 AM.