Fuck it, I got more.
Top Ten Raven Matches
10. Raven vs Terry Gordy - ECW Hardcore Heaven 1996 (Hardcore TV 25/6/96)
(pic not from actual match)
Terry was in a bad way in 96, Raven really takes a shit-kicking to make one of his idols look like a badass once again. He considers it some of his best work.
9. Raven vs Goldberg - WCW Nitro 20/4/98
I guess most people would consider this a Goldberg moment but the layout has Levy's psychology all over it and with Michael Buffer doing introductions it really has a big fight feel. The audience plants throwing him back looks a bit hilarious nowadays.
8. Raven vs The Sandman (Barbed Wire match) - ECW Holiday Hell 1996
Admittedly I haven't seen since this highschool I found it on the Extreme Evolution which I found in a second hand CD store - good times... Anyhoo I'd never seen a barbed wire match so this blew my little mind and I can't find it on the network (lil help?) but it'll always have a place in my heart.
7. Raven vs Tommy Dreamer - ECW Wrestlepalooza 1997 (Hardcore TV 10/6/97)
The epic blow-off, in retrospect the Dreamer/Raven feud didn't actually make the most sense but it was a big deal and yeah the one where Dreamer finally gets his win which is of course followed by the Lawler invasion which is still incredible to watch.
6. Raven vs Kane vs Big Show (Hardcore match) - WWF Wrestlemania 17
This one is for the pure calamity, like everything that could go wrong did and it's fantastically entertaining watching Raven get thrown through windows, walls, run over and nearly cut the power to the show almost ruining the best Wrestlemania in history. Apparently the original plan was for the 3 to all race the carts out to the arena together, if only...
5. Raven vs Abyss vs Sean Waltman vs AJ Styles vs Monty Brown (King of the Mountain match) - TNA Slammiversary 2005
I could bitch about the weird rules of the King of the Mountain gimmick. I could bitch about how Raven coincidentally happen to win as TNA was without TV. I could bitch about how Jarrett coincidentally happen to win the title just they got back on TV (at some random fucking indie show far away from the Impact Zone). Or I could relish the fact that Raven finally achieved his destiny and won the NWA Championship, the match is secondary because after how WWE treated him and how he genuinely brought more eyes to the promotion yet continued to fail to win the big one for two... This is the moment of catharsis Raven fans needed and as far as I'm concerned he had a awesome run.
4. Raven & Perry Saturn vs Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko - WCW Spring Stampede 1999
(It was hard to find a pic)
Watching this today is weird, a non-title midcard tag team match that's incredibly heated. And it's actual legitimate heel heat - like the intentional
3. Raven & Daffney vs Abyss & Taylor Wilde (Monster's Ball) - TNA Slammiversary 2009
Mid 2006 it was depressing to see what was happening to Raven, his 90's lifestyle had caught up with him and his body was failing him - within 1 year of his NWA title win he looked like he'd aged 10 and I was genuinely concerned for his wellbeing, like now he was Terry Gordy. Making it all the more stranger that this match so far from his prime is, all things considered, somehow my favourite TNA match of his. It has all the violence of his previous outings with Abyss (imo his chief adversary in the group) but this one has an extra layer of fun too. Dr. Stevie, Taylor Wilde (one of the many contributors to the "Women's Revolution" who'll likely never get any credit) and Daffney (who makes everything better) add plenty to the match, Daffney in particular taking a ton of punishment - this woman deserved so much better from this promotion.
Plus, he cut this ridiculous promo beforehand that cracks me up every time.
2. Raven & Stevie Richards vs The Pitbulls (2/3 Falls Dog Collar match) - ECW Gangstas Paradise 95 (Hardcore TV 19/9/95)
Maybe not all of ECW's early classics fit in with the current audience but the car crash nature of this blew me away as a teenager and the fact that it intersects with other angles is awesome.
1. Raven vs Rhyno (Hardcore match) - WWF Backlash 2001
In my opinion this is the Hardcore title's finest moment in the WWE and a glimpse of what the division could've been instead of a joke...
- Raven vs Abyss (Dog Collar match) - TNA No Surrender 2005 (Sometimes I forget just how violent TNA could be...)
- Raven & Cactus Jack vs Tommy Dreamer & Terry Funk - ECW November To Remember 1995
- Raven vs Diamond Dallas Page vs Chris Benoit - WCW Uncensored 1998
- Raven vs Diamond Dallas Page - WCW Spring Stampede 1998
- Raven vs CM Punk (Dog Collar match) - ROH Death Before Dishonor 2003
- Raven vs AJ Styles (Ladder match) - NWA: TNA 26/3/03
- Raven vs Sabu - NWA:TNA 4/8/04
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.