Why did Vince never try to push HHH as the babyface of the company? - Page 3 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Wheelman for James Ellsworth
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 624
Points: 2,210
                     
Re: Why did Vince never try to push HHH as the babyface of the company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickRowan_Fan View Post
He would've been the Roman Reigns of his era, if they tried to push him as a babyface.

It's just not something that comes naturally to him. As you say, he's just not a "cool guy". Not everybody is. Not everybody has to be.

If he was "cool", he couldn't have been a great heel. Cool heels turn babyface eventually.
Fully agree, man. Look at Ric Flair, spent the majority of a 30+ year career as a heel. Yet he's still one of the most loved men on the planet, and make no mistake about it, at a certain point in his heyday, ended up being the guy you should hate but love.

Stonecold worked because he was a give-no-shits cool motherfucker who done shit common men wished they could (I.e beat up the boss)

Nash & Hall got mixed reactions from about three months into their WCW stint, because they were edgy. There is a reason that the roof used to get blown off when wolfpac's theme hit, and raise a little when Nash came from behind the curtain.

Triple H was just never that guy, of course he'd get huge pops upon returns but he'd soon turn those into boos and jeers. He was never quite as cookie cutter as Cena or Reigns, so to say he'd be the Reigns of that era I feel may be being a tad harsh.
D-FRY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:27 PM
All out of bubblegum.
 
BehindYou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 5,301
Points: 11,472
                     
Re: Why did Vince never try to push HHH as the babyface of the company?

HHH was one of the biggest names active (especially fulltime) after Austin and Rock. Plus in kayfabe terms he was one of the only guys who could be considered on their level.

So having him as the heel champ made most sense booking wise. Fresh faces chasing the established heel champ makes a lot more sense then if they did it the wrong way round them.


WF Dictionary:
Burial
bur∑i∑al
Noun
#1 - A wrestler I like losing to a wrestler I don't like.
#2 - A wrestler I like being insulted in promos by a wrestler I don't like
BehindYou is offline  
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:35 PM
 
Soul Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,128
Points: 6,718
                     
Re: Why did Vince never try to push HHH as the babyface of the company?

Maybe HHH didn't want to be FOTC himself? He actually didn't have to, he had as many privileges as any other FOTC, when he wanted, he could just take the spotlight, it is not like he had any kind of restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirioc View Post
he's been trying for 5 years to make Roman the new FOTC and thats not going to happen.
What do you mean he is trying? Reigns is already the FOTC, your opinion doesn't matter lol.
Soul Rex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:49 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,395
Points: 9,662
                     
Re: Why did Vince never try to push HHH as the babyface of the company?

because people didn't want to see HGH as top boy
Tag89 is offline  
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 03:06 PM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,826
Points: 4,923
                     
Re: Why did Vince never try to push HHH as the babyface of the company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unorthodox View Post
They tried to push him as a face when he returned in 2002 and it didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickRowan_Fan View Post
He was never more over than he was in 2002. But it didn't work for the long-term.

Triple H, at the end of the day, is a fairly boring personality. He's not that guy who goes around the world, drinking, fighting, partying like a rockstar. He works as a heel because his natural prick demeanour can shine. But as a babyface, he has to cover it up, resulting in him being a boring, monotone jacked-up dude.

Maybe he could've been effective as a "badass", sarcastic anti-hero, but his marriage to Stephanie killed any chance of people being able to buy that. Imagine if Stone Cold Steve Austin was married to Vince's daughter, while trying to portray himself as a beer-drinking badass? Nobody would've bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalGleam View Post
HHH was over fecking huge when he came back in 2002 but like its been said, it simply didnt last that long.

I think HHH just isnt a likeable individual like austin or rock for example, his personality just fits a heel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableJourney View Post
He did.

Heading into WM18 Triple H was the returning babyface set to retake the title from Chris Jericho.

Hunter had the misfortune for this to coincide with the returning Hulk Hogan, a *much* more popular babyface. So things panned out a little differently.
/thread
deadcool is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome