Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today - Page 2 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:44 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Favourite(s): Shawn Michaels, Christian, Randy Orton, AJ Styles
Posts: 1,543
Points: 9,235
                     
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Danielson View Post
I mean two guys who have a connection to the fans due to their charisma, but are limited in the ring.
We are living in era with almost everyone cares about in ring ability so I don't think we can.

Rock and Austin had excellent matches,Austin was a brawler so I wouldn't consider both limited in the ring.
Moho Hwoarang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Asking JAMES ELLSWORTH for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 403
Points: 680
                 
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Amazing5441 View Post
John Cena vs Dean Ambrose
What one on one PPV matches have I been missing?


_______________________________________________________________
NOT REMOVING UNTIL
Masato Tanaka wrestles in WWE and wins a singles title
Yoshi Tatsu gets a push
John Cena jobs to Heath Slater
Batista stops gasping for air in a match
Lance Storm returns to WWE
Tyler Danielson is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:57 AM
 
Laughable Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,243
Points: 44,370
                     
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

I think to be major star and draw, you need to be able to appeal to the most people. There's no use being the greatest rapper of all time in a country which doesn't enjoy rap for example. Talent, is only part of the appeal. Marketabillity, charisma, and even details like ethnicity and nationality play a big part. There's a reason why cult classics that are heralded as some of the greatest of all time, exist, yet films such as these sometimes barely only make even or sometimes even make a loss.

Shawn Michaels is heralded is one of the greatest wrestlers ever and one of the most complete packages. Yet, he wasn't a big draw because he never appealed to the masses like a Hogan or Austin. It does not mean he wasn't great or entertaining, it just meant he wasn't able to appeal and attract a wider audience, which has nothing to do with his talent. He is the wrestling equivalent of a cult classic because despite being great, he lacks the marketabillity to draw. Which is why I hate the he doesn't draw so he must suck argument. You can be the greatest wrestler of all time, if you don't have something that properly appeals to the masses, you won't draw much.

In the 70s, guys like Bruno Sammartino were able to draw based on ethnicity. An Italian was able to draw in New York, who would've guessed it. But it goes more than Sammartino. Tito Santana was made to appeal to Hispanics. Flair although lacking in the ethnicity department, was cheered like crazy in Flair country. Dusty appealed to the working class. The Hogan name was for Hulk to appeal to the Irish. At a time when wrestling was still considered real, someone like Bruno was viewed as a genuine hero to the Italian American crowd and the American crowd in general when fighting against a foreign heel. He was able to draw by wrestling 1 hour long slow matches because for all intents and purposes because the crowd thought it was real. They were so invested in the match that they were able to sit through it all in the hopes that their hero would win the end. This isn't just limited to America. There's countless stories of fans almost rioting when their local hero lost.

Hulk Hogan was a top star during the 80s because at the time, the clean cut muscled up do gooder was something which society as someone who they should all aim to aspire to be. Also, national pride is always a draw. The fact that wrestling still had some kayfabe allowed Hogan the investment despite for the most part average if not boring matches. Other guys, like Savage, Steamboat and Warrior tried to appeal in the same way. Then there's people like Jake Roberts, Rick Rude, Flair again, Mr, Perfect who appealed in another way. But for all the talent they had, they were never as big as Hogan because Hogan not only was pushed as the top alpha male, his character was best suited to appeal to the most. So Hogan became the idyllic man in which every man dreamed into becoming, women dreamed of being with and kids idlozing.

During the late 90s, socierty shifted as they started to become more edgy and liberal. Suddenly, clean cut babyfaces weren't able to appeal anymore. That's where Austin and Rock come in. Austin appealed because he rebelled against his boss and tormented him each and every week. He was an asshole that did shit how he wanted it, drank beer and beat people up. Millions of Americans at that point in sociery were able to connect with that feeling and they wanted to be him. Rock was the charismatic asshole jock. A character that in any other time, would've never been a big face. But Rock appealed because he was the cool, charismatic, funny, handsome, athletic asshole that deep down we all wanted to be. But instead of the fans rejecting him as a heel, he was so good that people loved him for it. There were always guys like Taker, Mankind, Jericho that appealed in different ways, but they were always smaller stars than austin and Rock because despite all their talent, their characters could never appeal as much as Austin and Rock did. Also, a key thing to note is that AUSTIN DOESN't seem to be very popular outside the US. Perhaps implying the edy shift in society was onliy limited to much of the US.

And Cena? Its obvious ain't it. He has a memey character and appeals to kids.

My conclusion is that to have another Rock or Austin, you must have someone who is able to appeal to the most amount of people to society. And this is something that is mutually exclusive from talent or even being entertaining. The Great Khali was a draw in India because being Indian and a freak of nature appealed to them. It didn't matter that he was shit in everything else. So, WWE needs to figure out what kind of character would appeal to most of their audience. Give one of their most talented performers that character. Repeat once more and you got your Rock and Austin.

Last edited by Laughable Chimp; 08-01-2017 at 03:02 AM.
Laughable Chimp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:06 AM
Moron
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA! USA! USA!
Posts: 262
Points: 1,166
                     
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Danielson View Post
I mean two guys who have a connection to the fans due to their charisma, but are limited in the ring.
Rock and Austin weren't limited in the ring though, they were fantastic workers. Moves aren't everything, they are a decent part but they aren't everything. And even then, both guys had great movesets, Rock was smooth as butter, Austin was stiff and could brawl like no other, but was also a hell of a technician. I hate when people use Rock and Austin as examples of "guys who got over on limited ring ability." They weren't Misawa and Kobashi but they damn sure weren't Hogan and late Andre either.
GreatestOfAllTime is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Asking JAMES ELLSWORTH for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 403
Points: 680
                 
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOfAllTime View Post
Rock and Austin weren't limited in the ring though, they were fantastic workers. Moves aren't everything, they are a decent part but they aren't everything. And even then, both guys had great movesets, Rock was smooth as butter, Austin was stiff and could brawl like no other, but was also a hell of a technician. I hate when people use Rock and Austin as examples of "guys who got over on limited ring ability." They weren't Misawa and Kobashi but they damn sure weren't Hogan and late Andre either.
Austin was a great technician before Owen Hart broke his neck. I disagree with you on The Rock. What he did looked good, he just didn't do much in the ring.


_______________________________________________________________
NOT REMOVING UNTIL
Masato Tanaka wrestles in WWE and wins a singles title
Yoshi Tatsu gets a push
John Cena jobs to Heath Slater
Batista stops gasping for air in a match
Lance Storm returns to WWE
Tyler Danielson is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:25 AM
 
looper007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5,365
Points: 16,053
                     
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Danielson View Post
Austin was a great technician before Owen Hart broke his neck. I disagree with you on The Rock. What he did looked good, he just didn't do much in the ring.
When he was in the ring with the right worker, The Rock could go. His feuds with HHH, Austin, Foley speak for that. He's a bit like Reigns in that manner.

Austin was awesome and any silly talk of him been limited shows those people don't know a damn about Austin. He had some great matches before he reached WWE, the Bret Hart matches weren't classic just cause of Bret. Even after his neck injury Austin did change his style to a brawler but his matches were still great. His run with Foley, Taker, Rock, HHH, Angle, Jericho speak that. His run as heel champ in 2001 was one of his best years in ring wise.
GreatestOfAllTime likes this.
looper007 is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Asking JAMES ELLSWORTH for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 403
Points: 680
                 
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by looper007 View Post
When he was in the ring with the right worker, The Rock could go. His feuds with HHH, Austin, Foley speak for that. He's a bit like Reigns in that manner.

Austin was awesome and any silly talk of him been limited shows those people don't know a damn about Austin. He had some great matches before he reached WWE, the Bret Hart matches weren't classic just cause of Bret. Even after his neck injury Austin did change his style to a brawler but his matches were still great. His run with Foley, Taker, Rock, HHH, Angle, Jericho speak that. His run as heel champ in 2001 was one of his best years in ring wise.
Austin entertained me as a brawler, but I preferred his earlier work speaking solely on in the ring. Especially as Stunning Steve Austin.
looper007 likes this.


_______________________________________________________________
NOT REMOVING UNTIL
Masato Tanaka wrestles in WWE and wins a singles title
Yoshi Tatsu gets a push
John Cena jobs to Heath Slater
Batista stops gasping for air in a match
Lance Storm returns to WWE
Tyler Danielson is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:35 AM
Moron
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Zealand
Favourite(s): Alexa Bliss, Bruan Strowman, Bray Wyatt
Posts: 10,724
Points: 45,085
                     
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

No. Rock and Austin were two megastars at one time. We'll never see that ever again. Rock was pretty underrated in the ring I always thought. But it was all about storytelling and psychology. That unfortunately is very limited in today's product.
3ku1 is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:35 AM
 
Hangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,632
Points: 12,297
                     
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

Ha this company can't book anyone right any more. How can they build a feud if wins and losses don't matter anymore?
looper007 likes this.
Hangman is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:36 AM
 
looper007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5,365
Points: 16,053
                     
Re: Could an Austin Rock Type of Feud Exist Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Danielson View Post
Austin entertained me as a brawler, but I preferred his earlier work speaking solely on in the ring. Especially as Stunning Steve Austin.
I still think his feuds with Steamboat in WCW and Bret Hart in WWE, are his strongest in ring work of his career. I love his brawler work, told a great story. His first feud as WWE champ with Dude Love, is probably his most underrated as a brawler love those two matches they had, plus Vince and The Stooges antics outside the ring probably make it Austin most underrated feud.
looper007 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome