The Little Mermaid (2020) - Page 6 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 165Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 AM
 
Ninja Hedgehog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,877
Points: 7,459
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Be careful now. We wouldn't want someone to accuse you of fat shaming.

PS. You are actually fat shaming btw. So.
Or maybe, just maybe, it's a throwaway joke on the internet.

Please don't let that stand in the way of you getting offended on her behalf though.

Ninja Hedgehog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:38 AM
WF's AKB Fan
 
Genking48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,688
Points: 9,678
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sally View Post
Not seen that one I don't think. If I can remember who made the version I seen will link to you. The animation looks like those Daft Punk videos so I'm guessing it's late 70's, early 80's. The movie starts off with water crashing against rocks and the name of the company but it's in Japanese if I recall.
Toei Animation's The Little Mermaid



Side note. Is there a specific reason as to why they keep changing ginger characters in movies?
Miss Sally likes this.

Last edited by Genking48; 07-04-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Genking48 is online now  
post #53 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:41 AM
EXCELSIOR!
 
Lumpy McRighteous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Where Lands Are Green and Skies Are Blue
Posts: 15,642
Points: 32,067
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

I take it Ursula will remain a fatty fat fatty when she disguises herself as Vanessa in order to meet the body positive quota, right?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade™ View Post
it'll be shit like every other Disney live action remake anyway so who cares if they stick to the original typecast for Ariel or not tbh


Can't wait for them to have Prince Eric identify as a woman so Disney can finally get over their bigoted selves and achieve the long-overdue trans quota.



Lumpy McRighteous is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #54 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:42 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,441
Points: 3,932
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
As a minority I do not like the Erasure of white characters just so some major capitalist can pander to me while simultaneously getting the serfs to hurl insults at each other.

You're right when you say that it's manufactured controversy. Therefore I would rather still keep the corporatist bastards in my cross hairs that destroy artistic integrity for persona gain.
Yo... i get where you’re coming from but its not that deep. Nobody is trying erase white characters. In fact your take is more of a hot take than mines. My take is logical ie; characters are being race swapped in mostly honest attempts to be more inclusive because we live in a different more inclusive world. You’re alleging that theres some big campaign out there to erase white characters, in attempt to collect the almighty SJW dollar.

I think thats simply not true and a very pretentious way to view things
Chris JeriG.O.A.T likes this.
ObsoleteMule is offline  
post #55 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:49 AM
From parts unknown
 
Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22,293
Points: 81,213
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsoleteMule View Post
Yo... i get where you’re coming from but its not that deep. Nobody is trying erase white characters. In fact your take is more of a hot take than mines. My take is logical ie; characters are being race swapped in mostly honest attempts to be more inclusive because we live in a different more inclusive world. You’re alleging that theres some big campaign out there to erase white characters, in attempt to collect the almighty SJW dollar.

I think thats simply not true and a very pretentious way to view things
That is exactly what it is. I don't see how it's pretentious at all that we demand our corporatists to be better and give us something original instead of piggy backing off the popularity of existing white characters.

It's literally saying that the original black character won't make us money unless it's already popular and therefore bankable. It goes back to this era when Black dolls were sold at cheaper prices than white dolls.

If you hold that the profit motive is the primary concern of the capitalist then him black facing a white character pretty much categorically says that they need an already popular property to have that cash cow. They're not taking any chances. It's safe. And then on top of that they've got discord amongst the masses that refuse to point a finger at them while fighting each other.

They are in a win-win here. Which is why I refuse to support any move with an SJW agenda since that's the only way you can hurt them.

I'm not at all opposed to any original movie. In fact I've supported almost all movies featuring an all black cast, a black lead etc that was an original movie. I've done so since the 90s.

But this post 2016 Ghostbusters era pandering and manufactured controversy gets no buys so that they can continue to focus on originality.
virus21 and Miss Sally like this.


Last edited by Reaper; 07-04-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Reaper is offline  
post #56 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:54 AM
#WWELogic
 
Frost99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,715
Points: 6,939
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Well WB sort of gave us what a live action "Ariel" would be.......




Whomever cast best of luck, if I ever became a partent with a little girl the ainmated classic would be MY go to ala Beauty & the Beast, Peter Pan, Lion King ect

REP FOR A REP
Frost99 is offline  
post #57 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
 
Miss Sally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 13,709
Points: 37,153
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
That is exactly what it is. I don't see how it's pretentious at all that we demand our corporatists to be better and give us something original instead of piggy backing off the popularity of existing white characters.

It's literally saying that the original black character won't make us money unless it's already popular and therefore bankable. It goes back to this era when Black dolls were sold at cheaper prices than white dolls.

If you hold that the profit motive is the primary concern of the capitalist then him black facing a white character pretty much categorically says that they need an already popular property to have that cash cow. They're not taking any chances. It's safe. And then on top of that they've got discord amongst the masses that refuse to point a finger at them while fighting each other.

They are in a win-win here. Which is why I refuse to support any move with an SJW agenda since that's the only way you can hurt them.

I'm not at all opposed to any original movie. In fact I've supported almost all movies featuring an all black cast, a black lead etc that was an original movie. I've done so since the 90s.

But this post 2016 Ghostbusters era pandering and manufactured controversy gets no buys so that they can continue to focus on originality.
I'd just wait and see if this "excellently" cast movie follows the animated story. Because then it will be a black mermaid chasing around a white prince and rejecting her world because she's obsessed with his. She'll only be happy when she can be with him, I mean come on, it's going to be great!

Hopefully nobody at Disney sees this and people go and see the movie and then realize this all. Who doesn't want to see a happy tale about a girl who gives up friends, family, her home, her culture and even her race to chase a man she's never even had a conversation with!

virus21 and Reaper like this.

Miss Sally is online now  
post #58 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Greek God of Knowledge
 
AlternateDemise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,784
Points: 22,754
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

I could care less who they cast as the little mermaid.

I care more about the fact that they're doing another live action movie of a Disney Classic.

I'm sick of this shit. You have this massive movie studio with an endless supply of money. And they're putting all of their focus and resources into remaking shit but only this time it's live action. And why? Because one time, ONE TIME, a live action remake turned out great and that was the Jungle Book movie. We've had a terrible Dumbo movie, a terrible Aladin movie, and a jury still out on upcoming Lion King movie that I could give any less of a shit about (and I still don't know why others are so excited about it). Edit: They did Beauty and the Beast too. Forgot about that one.

And if they aren't focusing on that? Well, they're continuing to make movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (another thing I've grown sick of and no longer have any interest in after Endgame), and they're continuing to do Star Wars movies and there's a possibility of ANOTHER trilogy after this current one ends (yeah, that's actually being discussed).

I am sick of this. Use your unlimited amount of money, unlimited amount of resources, and come up with something different. Bring something new to the world of Cinema. Give us something new, fresh, original. Hell, at least Spiderverse even if it was based on Spiderman did the movie in a new and unique way. It was incredible to see something like that since it had never been done before. Do something new, pretend you're capable of thinking outside the box.

Fuck.
virus21 likes this.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
WWE ending TNA's decade long year of dominance
Never change

Last edited by AlternateDemise; 07-04-2019 at 10:55 PM.
AlternateDemise is offline  
post #59 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:25 PM
 
2 Ton 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,256
Points: 29,421
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Saw something about this that I hadn't thought about.

Why when Hollywood does this, do they replace redhead characters with black characters? It's kind of odd. I don't think it's intentional, but it's a funny coincidence.

Mary Jane/MJ in the MCU
Annie in Annie
Heimdall in the MCU
MJ in the MCU
Wally West in the Flash series
Iris West in The Flash series
Electro in Amazing Spider-Man 2
Hawkgirl in The Flash/LOT series
Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl series
Starfire in Titans series
Alice in Hellboy (2019)

Of course when they do have redheaded character they just hire a blonde or brunette and dye it red, which most of the time looks bad.

As far as this one, I don't really care. Little Mermaid doesn't hold a special place in my heart, plus these live action adaptations for the most part have been soulless money grabs. I do wonder when the live action Pixar adaptations will happen. It's coming people.

I'm not against changing the race of characters in general, but when adapting from a previous visual medium (comics, animated movies) people already have a set idea of what the character looks like and that can be hard to fight against.

Usually I take it case by case. If it's great actor in the part then I'm good. I personally would like Geoffrey Wright to be the next Commissioner Gordon in The Batman, because he would kill it in that part. I do question the motives sometimes. I don't like the idea of taking real problems like racism, homophobia, sexism, etc. and wrapping them around you as a shield from criticism of your shitty movie.
TommyWCECM likes this.

"Your honor. I can tell you are a reasonable horse.
I am very pregnant because of what happened with Lupe.
She ate my bus accident and all I wanted was to make Lupe into a book.
I have too many anuses ahead of me to spend my life in a cigar factory."
2 Ton 21 is offline  
post #60 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:34 PM
 
virus21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,964
Points: 70,297
                     
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sally View Post
I'd just wait and see if this "excellently" cast movie follows the animated story. Because then it will be a black mermaid chasing around a white prince and rejecting her world because she's obsessed with his. She'll only be happy when she can be with him, I mean come on, it's going to be great!

Hopefully nobody at Disney sees this and people go and see the movie and then realize this all. Who doesn't want to see a happy tale about a girl who gives up friends, family, her home, her culture and even her race to chase a man she's never even had a conversation with!

Which is why the GFT comic is better: She had bigger issues than with a prince with a 2 dimensional personality
Miss Sally likes this.

https://cdn2us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/main_wide/public/2018/12/titans-episode-7-review-donna-troy.jpg?itok=fSRBp7JR

Let's make some magic.
virus21 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome