Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20, 2019) - Page 33 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums

 313Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #321 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:53 PM
 
Buster Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 622
Points: 2,739
                     
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20, 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepelemblues View Post
Empire
Luke: 6 on Hoth, 7 after being trained by Yoda
Vader: 9
First of all,that was an awesome post. My question is why would Yoda's training only elevate Luke one point? I mean it seems reasonable but Yoda opened his eyes to a lot of things plus he put him through the ringer on Dagobah didn't he?

Also if Vader was a 9 for ANH(which I agree given his Rogue One performance),why didn't he swiftly waste Obi Wan in their last duel? Was it like Vader/Luke in ESB where he basically toyed with him and could've killed him at will?


Last edited by Buster Cannon; 04-15-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Buster Cannon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #322 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 AM
 
DoctorWhosawhatsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Tardis, All of Time and Space
Posts: 11,162
Points: 35,318
                     
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20, 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Cannon View Post
Also if Vader was a 9 for ANH(which I agree given his Rogue One performance),why didn't he swiftly waste Obi Wan in their last duel? Was it like Vader/Luke in ESB where he basically toyed with him and could've killed him at will?
My guess would be trepidation and fear because last time he fought Obi-Wan he lost an arm, a leg, and get deep fried in a volcano. Vader's impulsiveness and over confidence nearly got him killed, he wasn't going to make that mistake with Obi-Wan again, no matter how old.

But really every answer is just looking for a way to explain something that wasn't due plot or character but limited technology and capability at the time.
Buster Cannon likes this.

DoctorWhosawhatsit is offline  
post #323 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 AM
 
Freelancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,933
Points: 9,718
                     
Re: Star Wars Episode IX (December 20, 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1592 View Post
Speaking as a "casual" Star Wars watcher (fan would be an overstatement, I guess), don't you think it might be possible that Solo suffered more because of Rogue One than the Last Jedi?

I mean, Rogue One pretty much established that there is absolutely no need whatsoever to watch the spin-off movies, they are just other stuff with the Star Wars logo on it. Don't you think it might have been a factor just as much the Last Jedi getting shit on by pretty much everyone?
I've been a pretty big fan since I was a kid. I'm 36 now so it goes back to the originals for me. I actually enjoyed Rogue One, I thought they did a good job with it. For me, The Last Jedi was the big turn off. I didn't watch Solo because of it. A good wresting analogy would be like me saying it was a Russo era episode of Nitro.
ste1592 likes this.

"I will say it because I am trying to quell the burning in my heart--I hate Vince Russo. I despise Vince Russo. I want Vince Russo to die. If I could figure out a way to murder him without going to prison, I would consider it the greatest accomplishment of my life." - Jim Cornette

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man" - Ric Flair
Freelancer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #324 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 AM
 
ste1592's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,453
Points: 10,524
                     
Re: Star Wars Episode IX (December 20, 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
I've been a pretty big fan since I was a kid. I'm 36 now so it goes back to the originals for me. I actually enjoyed Rogue One, I thought they did a good job with it. For me, The Last Jedi was the big turn off. I didn't watch Solo because of it. A good wresting analogy would be like me saying it was a Russo era episode of Nitro.
Personally, Rogue One for me it's the best Star Wars movie, but I don't have the same attachment to the franchise as you and other have, so it might be that.

What I meant is that knowing that the spin off movies have no weight on the "main" movies plot, people might have decided to skip Solo and just wait for it to be out on DVD or on a streaming service. But I understand this was not the case for you.

ste1592 is offline  
post #325 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM
 
TripleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 42,781
Points: 27,625
                     
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20, 2019)

Okay, I just have to say it. Would it have killed JJ to put a "The" infront of Skywalker for that title. The lack of it is just...jarring. It reminds me of Transformers Dark of the Moon...couldn't you say DarkSIDE of the Moon? Wouldn't that make more sense?! Missing one syllable just throws everything off! lol.

Anyways, the reason Darth Vader and Obi-Wan's fight in IV was so, uh, basic was because of the limitations of technology, the actors they had to use, and the fact that there had never been a lightsaber fight prior to it, so it was a starting point.

Us trying to explain away why Vader is so strong as hell in Rogue One, and not so much in IV and V is pure fan head canon. With that, personally, I like the "He was toying with Luke and Obi-Wan" explanation. In those situations, there was no rush, no reason to win right away, and in the case of Obi-Wan, he could savor the moment of killing him, and for Luke, he wanted to gauge how strong Luke really was. In Rouge One, he needed to get he plans back, ASAP, so kill kill kill away!

WEEKDAY WARRIORS OF WRESTLING WEBSITE
=http://thebrainosaur.com

Follow Me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pscrazyplace

NXT TAKEOVER XXV REVIEW
TripleG is online now  
post #326 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:36 AM
 
Freelancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,933
Points: 9,718
                     
Re: Star Wars Episode IX (December 20, 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1592 View Post
Personally, Rogue One for me it's the best Star Wars movie, but I don't have the same attachment to the franchise as you and other have, so it might be that.

What I meant is that knowing that the spin off movies have no weight on the "main" movies plot, people might have decided to skip Solo and just wait for it to be out on DVD or on a streaming service. But I understand this was not the case for you.
I get what you're saying. Even though they don't have any weight on the main movies, I think fans would take any new content no matter what it was. Take the new Lord of the Rings show coming to Amazon. I know it wont affect the main story, but I'm a huge fan of that too and am super interested in seeing it.
ste1592 likes this.

"I will say it because I am trying to quell the burning in my heart--I hate Vince Russo. I despise Vince Russo. I want Vince Russo to die. If I could figure out a way to murder him without going to prison, I would consider it the greatest accomplishment of my life." - Jim Cornette

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man" - Ric Flair
Freelancer is offline  
post #327 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM
 
ste1592's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,453
Points: 10,524
                     
Re: Star Wars Episode IX (December 20, 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
I get what you're saying. Even though they don't have any weight on the main movies, I think fans would take any new content no matter what it was. Take the new Lord of the Rings show coming to Amazon. I know it wont affect the main story, but I'm a huge fan of that too and am super interested in seeing it.
In all honesty, I wouldn't miss new content, even if it's not related to the main plot, but I know people who would pass and wait, that's why I was asking. Pure speculation.

ste1592 is offline  
post #328 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:13 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 135
Points: 447
                     
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20, 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepdaleg View Post
Looked like shit to me. What happened to let the past die? Apparently that means trying to bring back everyone from the original trilogy again to get butts in the seats and try to recon ruin johnsons film.
They are going to have to retcon alot of shit from the OT and even the PT to fix the mistakes of TLJ - that's how bad of a film it was

Problem with that is when the Sequel Trilogy was announced nobody was asking for the canon to be massively retconned. The fact that the last movie of the ST has to bring back Palpatine from the dead and allegedly make it's main protagonist into either a clone of Anakin or Sidious himself just goes to show how useless the story writers at Lucasfilm are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus21 View Post
These movies didn't have Mara Jade or Thrawn, so they were always going to be bad.
No Shit

The thing that makes me pissed off about the ST is that Disney/Lucasfilm had so much EU material to work with to bring Fresh Idea's and new species into the canon instead of making Empire vs Rebels 2.0

Thrawn could have been the Vader of the ST and the Chiss Army could have been a great formidable foe for the first two films. I had initially hoped in 2012 after the purchase of LucasFilm that we would be seeing the Sith Empire remerge under the control of Darth Plaguies in the 3rd and final film with a final battle taking place outside the Sith homeworld.

Instead we got a whinny pussy in Kylo, Snoke who is a poor man's darth plaguies and a ginger tarkin rip off.
red dead2 is offline  
post #329 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 AM
 
Freelancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,933
Points: 9,718
                     
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20, 2019)

You know Rian Johnson made a terrible movie when you have to bring back Palpatine to get people to care. But please Rian, continue to tell us it wasn't bad.

"I will say it because I am trying to quell the burning in my heart--I hate Vince Russo. I despise Vince Russo. I want Vince Russo to die. If I could figure out a way to murder him without going to prison, I would consider it the greatest accomplishment of my life." - Jim Cornette

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man" - Ric Flair
Freelancer is offline  
post #330 of 452 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM
 
Berzerker's Beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,078
Points: 4,271
                     
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20, 2019)

not defending the disney movies whatsoever, but the the continuity in star wars has never been air tight. they have been retconning things since empire.

i'll just take a solid movie.
Berzerker's Beard is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome