MCU Discussion & Speculation - Page 9 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums

 315Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:45 PM
 
2 Ton 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,141
Points: 28,864
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black...ys-iron-man-3/

Quote:
Shane Black On ‘The Nice Guys,’ Mel Gibson, And Why A Female ‘Iron Man 3’ Villain’s Gender Changed

Shane Black: I read Uproxx.

Really?

I do. I don’t read your comment section. A typical Uproxx comment, “That guy Black, he fucked up Iron Man 3. He should die in a pit full of acid.” And you want to respond, but then you’ve bought in, you know?

I never read comments because they will make me feel bad.


That’s what people don’t understand, because they see filmmakers as being guys with money who hang out with movie stars and get girls, or whatever. So nothing can hurt their feelings. Just the opposite is true. These are raw nerves we’re talking about. Filmmakers are more sensitive than anybody.

For the record, I don’t think you fucked up Iron Man 3.

I wish that the fans liked it more.

I was under the impression people do like it.


I’m a people pleaser. Marvel saw so many negative things they made a whole other movie just to apologize called Hail to the King. In which they said, “No, no, the Mandarin is still alive. That wasn’t him. There’s a real Mandarin.” The only reason they made that was an apology to fans who were so angry.

But if Marvel didn’t want you to present Mandarin the way you did, they would have stopped you.

Of course, they didn’t care. But when the blowback hit, they cared.

You had to know there’d be some blowback.


No, we didn’t. We didn’t know. We all thought they’d eat it up because it never occurred to us the Mandarin is as iconic to people as, say, the Joker in Batman.

He’s not. That’s fake.

They just wanted to see the magic rings shoot lasers.

That’s probably true. But that doesn’t fit in Iron Man 3.


You’d need to take the piss out of it and explain how this can happen. In the comic books, it’s literally magic. It’s magic from outer space. I love the fans. I really want to please them.

Was that a hard shoot? I’ve seen Downey say it was a great experience, but I’ve asked Kevin Feige about “hardest Marvel movies to make” and he said Iron Man 3.

We had troubles. Memories are short. You can go through hell together, then six months later go, “That was kind of fun, wasn’t it, John?” The good news is, Downey and I seem to get on pretty well. We’ll bicker now and again, but to me just having him on board elevates the material. So, the toughness was in the logistics instead of the relationships. That’s the good news. We replaced a lot of things. The plot went this way and that way. Stéphanie Szostak’s character was bigger at one point and we reduced it. Rebecca Hall’s character was bigger at one point and we reduced it.

Why? Rebecca Hall’s character does have an abrupt ending.


All I’ll say is this, on the record: There was an early draft of Iron Man 3 where we had an inkling of a problem. Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft. We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female.

What?

So, we had to change the entire script because of toy making. Now, that’s not Feige. That’s Marvel corporate, but now you don’t have that problem anymore.

Ike Perlmutter is gone.

Yeah, Ike’s gone. But New York called and said, “That’s money out of our bank.” In the earlier draft, the woman was essentially Killian – and they didn’t want a female Killian, they wanted a male Killian. I liked the idea, like Remington Steele, you think it’s the man but at the end, the woman has been running the whole show. They just said, “no way.”

I like the Remington Steele comparison. That would have been great.

I remember Remington Steele probably better than it is. But just so you know, too, I’m a Kevin Feige fan. If you ever say anything about decisions made at Marvel, I hope you’ll qualify it by saying that Kevin Feige is the guy who gets it right. And I don’t know if it was Ike, I don’t know who it was. They never told me who made the decision, we just got that memo one day and it was about toy sales. That’s all I know.

Would you do another Iron Man? Downey seems to have changed his position and is open to another.

I think he wants Mel Gibson to direct it.

Really? Downey has been supportive of Gibson.


And for good reason. Mel was great to him. Mel’s been really nice to a lot of people, including me. I’ll go on record saying I don’t believe anyone should be held accountable in any way for something they say while they are drunk. It’s not who they are. I know this because I’ve said horrible things to people and made them feel bad. And it wasn’t who I was, I was just drunk. Mel’s a great guy and I understand his new directing project is actually quite interesting. So, whatever. If you say something sober it’s one thing. If you’re drunk, you’re going to deliberately be belligerent just to piss people off. You know the effect you’re having and you don’t care. Yeah, one of these days, maybe Downey will do another one. I’d love to work with Robert again.

He had said no to another Iron Man for a long time, but that’s changed.

He’s mellowed on that. But, once again, I just want to go on record, the guy who got me through that process and taught me the ways of the machine when I was trying desperately to control all the visual effects… Joss Whedon came to me and said, “Trust the machine. Kevin Feige is here to help you.” And I suddenly opened my ears to Kevin and I learned so much...
So Maya Henson was to be the big bad. Pelrmutter actually thought kids were going to run out to buy Aldrich Killian toys? So glad he's done with the movie side. The rest of the interview is a good read too.

2 Ton 21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Goofball Island
Posts: 28,113
Points: 76,524
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

Ike Perlmutter, good riddance!

If RDJ ends up convincing Marvel to let Mel Gibson direct Iron Man 4
2 Ton 21 and Londrick like this.
Blackbeard is offline  
post #83 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 05:09 PM
 
2 Ton 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,141
Points: 28,864
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
Ike Perlmutter, good riddance!

If RDJ ends up convincing Marvel to let Mel Gibson direct Iron Man 4
Mel directing would be absolutely insane. Hope RDJ can pull it off.

Just read this list of things Perlmutter has allegedly said/did. Some I've heard before, but the new ones are just bat shit.

Quote:
Supposedly Perlmutter is the reason for no Black Widow film until now because Perlmutter thinks people have no desire to see women heroes or non-white heroes.

I also believe he was once quoted as saying "No one will know the difference" when Don Cheadle replaced Terrence Howard as Rhodey.

He pushed for Black Panter to not appear in Civil War as well.

After RDJ wanted a bigger role for Civil War, Perlmutter wanted him completely out. Our savior Feige had to strongly campaign for Iron Man to be in CW.

He also apparently used to fire people, just to see if they were important to the company, and rehired them if shit went seriously wrong after their departure.

He stopped furnishing the Marvel offices with couches because of budgetary reasons.

He allegedly told a black female executive who had left Disney due to the racism and sexism that "He had a bullet with her name on it."

He allegedly straight up attacked a former Marvel executive.

He told former Editor-In-Chief Bob Harras that if his kids turned out to be gay, he should kill them.

He gave reporters one soda for 8 hours of work, and when they complained, he eliminated soda entirely, and reduced their food.

He once told an employee that they couldn't get a new pencil because the one they had "still had a good two inches".

He wanted to only serve potato chips at the Iron Man premiere.

2 Ton 21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #84 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Goofball Island
Posts: 28,113
Points: 76,524
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Ton 21 View Post
Just read this list of things Perlmutter has allegedly said/did. Some I've heard before, but the new ones are just bat shit.
Wow, I can't believe dinosaurs like that still exist in the film industry. He sounds like an incredibly vile, nasty POS

Quote:
because Perlmutter thinks people have no desire to see women heroes or non-white heroes.
And yet we ended up with a Blade trilogy
2 Ton 21 likes this.
Blackbeard is offline  
post #85 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 PM
 
T'Challa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Wakanda
Posts: 2,155
Points: 12,638
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

If true I expected it a character like Black Panther just too threatening for the image he would like to show, again if true.

Even though yeah the race stuff blah ok. But my main thing I got was that a female villain was scrapped from an Ironman movie, no Madame Masque

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/3/3e/Mystique.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091129165854
T'Challa is offline  
post #86 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the fast lane from L.A. to Tokyo
Posts: 11,718
Points: 10,912
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

Perlmutter being the Vince McMahon of Hollywood
Londrick is offline  
post #87 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Heel Turn on James Ellsworth
 
KO Lariat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,897
Points: 3,040
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay for Clay View Post
Perlmutter being the Vince McMahon of Hollywood
Vinny Mac? Hell no this dude is in Dana whites league of greed

WALLY WEST



Luke 6:28
Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

Romans 12:19
Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord
.
KO Lariat is offline  
post #88 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Playing Backstage Politics
 
SpeedStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,737
Points: 9,301
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

Iron-man 3 was all about not getting China mad about a having a Chinese villain'

China = Box Official Money
SpeedStick is offline  
post #89 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:37 PM
The Mouth of Madness!
 
Stormbringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hitting the Gym!
Posts: 9,691
Points: 17,825
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStick View Post
Iron-man 3 was all about not getting China mad about a having a Chinese villain'

China = Box Official Money
But he was "Brown" before the shit as fuck swerve.

Anyway I have no beef with a female villain so long as she got her comeuppance the same way a man would. If it just ended with her in a simple pair of handcuffs instead of blown the fuck up like the previous villains, I'd call bullshit and throw eggs and tomatoes at the screen.

And as far as non white goes, until last week, it has been 8 years of no color.

"What about Rhodie?"

Wasn't the focus of the films and his suit got jacked each time. I don't know if Ike is responsible, but I smell a bullshit fall guy/patsy slant to this. I call bullshit on that part.



Good God That Masseuse Must Be Good!

GIANNA MICHAELS FYI

REP RETURNS AND A TYRANT FALLS!
Stormbringer is offline  
post #90 of 430 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:43 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the fast lane from L.A. to Tokyo
Posts: 11,718
Points: 10,912
                     
Re: MCU Discussion & Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Lariat View Post
Vinny Mac? Hell no this dude is in Dana whites league of greed
I'm talking about the racist/sexist stuff. This shit is the type of shit you'd hear a former creative writer say about meetings with Vince.
Londrick is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome