Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning. - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Greek God of Knowledge
 
AlternateDemise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,832
Points: 23,069
                     
Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

Well guys, I'll be damned. Despite some rather lazy put together storylines, WWE is still going into this years Wrestlemania with a lot of optimism. There's a lot of great match-ups, some of which are fresh and new, and they've been able to make up for the fact that they are missing quite a few wrestlers due to injuries.

And to top it all off, they've now regained the in-ring services of one Daniel Bryan, who at one point was a major draw for the company and their top babyface. How long that'll last will only be answered with time. Hopefully, he'll last long enough injury free to the point where he can retire on his own terms. But that's a topic for another day.

What I'm here to discuss is another major acquisition where injuries aren't necessarily the point of concern here, but rather, the talent on display.

And of course, I'm talking about the person who can't even make pointing at a sign seem natural.



See?

Alright, so yeah, it's a Ronda Rousey thread. And for those of you who haven't figured it out by now, I'm not the biggest Ronda Rousey fan. I also do not see this run of hers working out well for either side. Before I go on, there are a couple things I want to get out of the way.

While I have criticized Ronda for a lot of the things she's done outside the octagon and ring in the past, I actually don't hate her on a personal level. In fact her story is quite inspiring. She grew up with a speech disorder that made it difficult for her to perform complete sentences. She dropped out of high school and ended up earning her GED. She had a pretty tough life growing up, but was able to overcome the obstacles standing in her way to become a pioneer in Women's Sports. While she may not have been as great a fighter as she was built up to be, she worked her ass off to make it to the big leagues. And for that, she'll always have my respect. This is why the one thing I'll never call her is a quitter, in regards to her exit from MMA and UFC after losing two fights, because there were much more difficult obstacles in her life that she overcame that would have been easier to give up on in the face of adversity. She overcame them and has gotten to where she is now, and for that, she deserves a lot of credit.

Another thing I do want to point out is that a lot of people claim Ronda is huge for WWE and is potential money in the making. And quite frankly, I disagree but not for the reasons you'd think. She could most certainly be huge for the WWE. She could most certainly be a big positive for them. No matter how I feel about Ronda from a talent perspective (and trust me, I'll get to that later), the idea of her being in WWE still does intrigue me. And I'd be lying if I said that there weren't good things that could come from this.

It's that exact reason that I'm worried about it.

So what do I mean by that? Well, let's quickly go over some other Wrestlers who have gone through WWE.



I think you all know who that is.

When Brock Lesnar first came into the WWE, he was a NCAA All American Wrestler in College and one of the most unbelievable athletes to ever grace this planet. Despite being a well built, 300+ pounder, the man had speed and athleticism the likes of which we had rarely ever seen for a man his size. He was the perfect Pro Wrestler for someone like Vince McMahon. From Vince's point of view, you had a very good reason to be excited about this.

Both before and after his UFC runs, he was able to demonstrate this in a WWE ring. In his prime, he was arguably the greatest in-ring performer in the world. His understanding of storytelling, as well as his ability to perform well in almost every aspect in the ring, made him a stand out among the rest. He put on a lot of outstanding matches in his time with WWE, and he's even been able to have a few more under his second run with the company. Even now, when he gives a shit, he's better than 90% of the roster when they're giving a full effort. The man just understands how to perform in the ring. He has had a very successful WWE career despite being a terrible promo cutter.



Don't know who that is? I don't blame you.

This piece of flappy turd shit stain is Teddy Hart. As much as it pains me to admit it, the man is actually insanely talented. The things he is able to do in the ring are off the charts. He's actually a pretty good mic worker. And he's more than capable of handling the character aspect of Pro Wrestling.

So why have we not seen him in WWE? He's a member of the Hart family (sort of), surely they'd want to continue on with the Hart Family legacy by using one of its more talented members, right?

Well, at one point, he was there. He was in their developmental territory (I don't remember which one it was at that point). And he was actually there at a really young age, so it's obvious they saw a lot of potential in the man. So what held him back? His attitude. To put it bluntly, the guy is a dick. And that's actually an understatement on my part. This is a guy who literally no sold all damage from a previous match, and proceeded to do moonsaults off of a steel cage post match, just because. The guy is an absolute ass hat, and with a reputation like that, who would want to work with the guy? Despite all the talent and capabilities to be a great Pro Wrestler, as well as being young with a lot of years left on him down the road, the man simply is not able to make it big in the profession because of his attitude. And odds are, unless he decides to grow the fuck up some day, he never will.



Alright so who remembers this guy?

That would be Mistico if you haven't figured it out yet. I actually made a lengthy post about him in regards to Ronda in another thread, so I am going to show that post now and give a brief summary afterwords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateDemise View Post
This guy was a sensation in Mexico, to the point where he even had his own comic book. He was a huge signing for WWE and his entry into the company had a lot of hype, and for very good reasons.

But rather than give him time to learn English (which at his age takes A LOT of time), he was rushed into the main roster, was never given time to learn English, and had an incredibly difficult time working with non-English speaking folk. He botched frequently, his matches were piss poor, and he lost a lot of steam not too long after debuting on the roster.

Mistico, aka Sin Cara, is an incredible talent. The way he is able to generate offense is like nothing we've ever seen before. There's a reason he was a massive draw in Mexico. But if you throw people into the lions den without proper training, they will be eaten alive. And that's what happened to Mistco. And here's the thing, it's not like Mistico wasn't still able to do some of the things he was known for in WWE. We still got to see his style of performing, we got to see how capable he is of flawlessly executing high flying lucha libre moves in a way we are simply not used to seeing. This was a man who could hit a Hurricanrana and land on his feet. That's just unheard of. People noted his attitude backstage, how lazy he was and how full of himself he was. And to be fair, I can kind of see where he was coming from. The man was huge in Mexico, to the point where he was basically the king of Pro Wrestling there. Him not being able to live up to standards in WWE to the point where he was downgraded to lower card at one point can definitely do a number on someone's ego and pride, and it had to have hurt him to realize how much of a failure his time in WWE had been. And a lot of that is on WWE for rushing things with him.
So yeah, Mistico was a massive disappointment in the WWE, and it's something WWE had to learn the hard way. They realized that, sometimes with certain talent, you just can't rush things. I know from WWE's point of view, you want to get as much out of them as you can as quickly as possible, but with some people that just isn't going to work. And with Mistico, aka Sin Cara, it proved to be a critical mistake that cost them a potential long term replacement for Rey Mysterio.

So I'm sure some of you are thinking, what does any of this have to do with Ronda Rousey? And I don't blame you. If you've gotten this far, thank you for baring with me. To answer that question, I'm going to ask you this:

How the hell is Ronda Rousey supposed to succeed in WWE?

I brought up those three wrestlers for very specific reasons.

I brought up Lesnar because he was a rushed WWE product, something that Ronda is on pace to become. Despite having very minimal Pro Wrestling training, she is already scheduled to have a high profile match at Wrestlemania with Stephanie McMahon of all people. WWE is already deadset on her being the one to end Asuka's undefeated streak. These are very big decisions that have been based on nothing. We have yet to see Ronda work a full match. She has yet to be in a legitimate feud that doesn't involve other people and requires her to handle herself in segments. All of her promos thus far have been poorly received. And her acting, if you're familiar with her past movie roles, has gone about as well as you'd expect. As I said before, Brock Lesnar was heavily pushed, and that's not an exaggeration. The guy beat the fucking Rock four months into his WWE run for the WWE Championship...at Summerslam! But he at least brought something to the table. He was a world class in-ring performer. He was truly one of the best in that regard. He was at least special in some form or fashion. He may not have been as successful as the Rock, but he was most certainly not a bust in his original run by any means. Fans still at least bought into it.

So far, nothing Rousey has done gives me any reason to believe she will excel at...well, anything in WWE. Why should I believe that she'll be a capable in-ring performer? We've seen her do, what, four or five moves so far? And all of them looked sloppy. Her mic work? Again, every promo she's done so far has been hard to listen to. And don't even get me started again on her acting (because if you do, we'll be here all night).

Onto the next one. The reason I brought up Teddy Hart is because at a young age, he showed he was already pretty damn good at most aspects of Pro Wrestling. But the thing that always held him back was his attitude. And to this day, it's still his greatest weakness. Yeah, a bad attitude held him back despite already being a capable pro wrestler at a young age. Keep in mind that when he was first signed by WWE, it was the youngest age anyone had ever been signed by them (I think he was only around 18 years old at the time). What does this have to do with Ronda?

Well, I think Rashad Evans touched on it perfectly.



It's been well documented that Ronda doesn't have thick skin. And it's safe to say that she's a very arrogant person. Well, now she is opening herself up to an environment where she is going to get a LOT of criticism. This is WWE we are talking about here. I'm not sure if she's aware of this, but WWE fans will find ANYTHING to complain about. And I'm not calling anyone out. I'm the exact same way. We are picky people. I'm a guy who passionately complains about how overrated Kurt Angle was as an in-ring performer despite him being one of my favorites growing up. It's just the way we are. Why should I believe that Ronda, a person who couldn't handle basic criticism from the media over her flaws as a fighter, is suddenly going to be able to handle criticism from an entire fan base about her inability to be a proper Pro Wrestler? And trust me when I say it, she will receive that criticism.

From what I understand, Ronda is actually a nice person. Okay, that's really good and all. It already puts her well above Teddy Hart since that man is an absolute dick, so there's that. But if she isn't able to handle criticism well, as well as handle her short comings assuming it is still in fact a problem for her as time goes on, that is going to all pile on to her. And that can make it frustrating for any person to want to work with them. And speaking of, who knows how many women in the locker room will develop resentment over time over her, assuming that hasn't already happened. But that's a hypothetical for another time.

Lastly, the Mistico shout out. This one is arguably the most important. I brought him up because like Ronda, he came into the WWE with a LOT of hype. Like Ronda, he was a huge sensation at one point. And unlike Ronda, he didn't have the terrible exit that she did. He left Mexico still a huge Pro Wrestling sensation. And as I mentioned before, he was still able to showcase a lot of the things that made him famous in Mexico. Despite all of this, he was still a huge bust in the WWE, and was gone after three years in a push that ultimately resulted in nothing memorable apart from all the botches he committed on a regular basis. His hype died when fans saw how incapable he was of living up to the sensation that he was in Mexico, and with that they stopped caring very quickly.

So now with all of this in mind, I once again ask, why should I expect anything good to come from Ronda Rousey being in WWE? Why should I be excited about it? What could she possibly do that would in anyway positively affect the on screen product? So far she has yet to show me she is capable of performing basic moves, even managing to somehow make a Samoan Drop look weird. She can't cut a promo. She can't act. She literally can't do anything right now that makes me think she has any chance of cutting it as a Pro Wrestler. It has been proven in the past that she is a very arrogant person with a pretty shitty attitude. And she left the profession that made her a world wide sensation in sports on a bad note. And yet this is the person WWE wants to beat Asuka. Just sit there and think about that for a moment.

And that's why I am concerned. Just the fact, assuming this is the case, that WWE even thinks that Ronda should be the one to end Asuka's undefeated streak and be the face of the women's division down the road is very, VERY concerning. Because they don't seem to realize how lucky they are to even have Ronda in the first place. She still is a big name, she still is relevant. She made an impact on Women's Sports that will make her go down in history, regardless of how good of a fighter she actually is. She fits in perfectly with this whole "women's revolution" thing that WWE has been trying to shove down our throats for all of these years. For them, getting her was a blessing. But it can just as easily turn into a curse. All of that hard work to showcase how great women can be in the ring, on the mic, that can all go straight down the drain in favor of name value, which is the path WWE is currently heading in if they are not careful with this.

In this thread, I am not going to tell WWE what they should do with Ronda at this point. I gave my suggestion in another thread, but the truth is I have no clue how her run will turn out. For all I know, she could end up being massively successful, and I hope that ends up being the case. I know she wants to make this work, and I would be very happy for her if it did. But I can't envision it happening. And if it does get to that point where things aren't working out, I can only hope that WWE realizes that before it's too late and they make a huge mistake that they can't take back.

But again, only time will tell. But for now, in regards to Rousey, her future in WWE is very concerning. And until she can give me a reason to think otherwise, I will continue to feel this way about her.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
WWE ending TNA's decade long year of dominance
Never change
AlternateDemise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:37 AM
Bury me one foot for every inch of heel she's wearing
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Waterfall Gully
Posts: 2,156
Points: 3,784
                     
Re: Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

10 years on different website forums and Iíve never seen a post anywhere near that long
sbuch and Draykorinee like this.
Rain is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:42 AM
 
Carter84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Geordiesville
Favourite(s): Stone Cold Pentagon Jr Taker Brian Cage Rock
Posts: 1,268
Points: 1,888
                     
Re: Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

That's a sweet article u have wrote, very detailed and read worthy, I didn't no Ronda had speech problems , maybe that's how see gets nervous still when she's trying to cut a promo as I have a mate with speech impediment and he gets like that , she could be struggling to project to the words she wants to say, and through time she might learn how to project dialect without smiling and seeming nervous, as she will be giving time and I hope she does well as the wwe is stale at the moment and they have no competition, that's how they have been to flounder the last few years as they haven't a challenge for ratings etc

Teddy Hart is a legit douche bag and that's me being polite he ain't even worth commenting on.

I don't no the other guy u commented about.

I could write a lot about Brock Lesnar , but we all no he's a legit Badass and
He is the last Sports Entertainer after John Cena to get over and he should hang his entertainment boots up after mania as he doesn't want to be in WWE anymore , his spark isn't there and I watched a documentary about him and he he said he needs new challenges to light the fuse inside him to push him and at the minute there's no challenge in WWE , personally I think he should go back to UFC and have a fight at a catchweight against the Jon 'BONES' Jones as that's would push him in all aspects of a challenge as he doesn't like to lose and Jones is a legit badass too and it would be a fight a lot of people would love to see, not to mention one last big pay day.

Once again to The OP great article, well detailed and very informative.

Have a great Easter to all on W.F
Peace
Carter



Luis Antonio Sanchez/TBA

Favorite wrestler Active/Inactive: Wrestlers Active/Inactive: Stone Cold Steve Austin , Pentagon Jr , The Rock , Brian Cage , Undertaker , Rey Fenix , Kane , Ricochet , Hulk Hogan , Finn Balor , Ric Flair , Triple H , Batista , Randy Orton , Sting , Jon Moxley , Dusty Rhodes , Braun Strowman , Diamond Dallas Page , Kenny Omega , British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith , Will Ospreay , Doug Williams , Marty Scurll , Nick Aldis , PAC , Sensational Sherry Martel , Becky Lynch , Trish Stratus , Charlotte Flair , Gail Kim , Ronda Rousey .

Last edited by Carter84; 03-31-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Carter84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Greek God of Knowledge
 
AlternateDemise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,832
Points: 23,069
                     
Re: Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
10 years on different website forums and Iíve never seen a post anywhere near that long
You've probably never seen any of my analysis threads then.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
WWE ending TNA's decade long year of dominance
Never change
AlternateDemise is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Bury me one foot for every inch of heel she's wearing
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Waterfall Gully
Posts: 2,156
Points: 3,784
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateDemise View Post
You've probably never seen any of my analysis threads then.
Are you the guy who summarises the old PPVs from 04-05? Theyíre good.
Rain is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 10:58 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 293
Points: 899
                     
Re: Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

This is an interesting article. I say we still need to see this. Based off what you've seen, you are right. You are also being presumptuous because with an attitude like that, she has no chance of impressing you or changing an opinion even if there's improvement.

I'm like this with Naomi. People say she improved, all I can see is a botchy boring hypocrite who said she was going to step away frothe dancing stuff (throwing shade at her old partner Cameron) and then proceeded to do her shitty Glow entrance.

Point is, bias will do that.

IMO I do, in fact, see her as more of a Ken Shamrock than a Brock Lesnar. I feel she won't be either of those two you mentioned because, well Mistico refused to learn a bit of English and stuck to pointing. Teddy Hart I only know about because of that shoot fight with Punk. She will be somewhere in between. She wont move the needle at all because she will be underwhelming, but a spot on the roster most for years if she wants it.

Your best point is about her fragility when it comes to her ego. If she puts on a shit match (and she will) she will be booed.

She could make a badass heel though if they have the balls to turn her.
Anglefan4lifeV1 is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Unorthodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Liverpool
Favourite(s): Austin
Posts: 1,747
Points: 3,268
                     
Re: Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

She has been utter shite so far, I'm not going to judge her until she gets the joke of a match at Wrestlemania out the way and she starts working with actual talented women, But even then it will still take her some time til she fulfills her potential.
Unorthodox is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:44 PM
 
Piper's Pit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,156
Points: 3,530
                     
Re: Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
10 years on different website forums and I’ve never seen a post anywhere near that long
I've seen threads on this forum where the OP needs more than one page.

Oh and to the OP - Bravo, you nailed it, Ronda is going to be a bust for so many reasons many of which aren't her fault.
For example the gimmicks that work are more often than not when the wrestler plays an exaggerated version of their real personality - Austin, Rock, Hogan Flair etc., Ronda is a bitchy, arrogant, home wrecker who married a convicted wife beater basically she's a heel in real life but instead she's out there smiling and hugging kids, it ain't working, let her do an Eva Marie type gimmick.

Last edited by Piper's Pit; 03-31-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Piper's Pit is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Greek God of Knowledge
 
AlternateDemise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,832
Points: 23,069
                     
Re: Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
Are you the guy who summarises the old PPVs from 04-05? Theyíre good.
Nope. That would be from a different (and far more knowledgeable) poster on this site.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
WWE ending TNA's decade long year of dominance
Never change
AlternateDemise is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:56 PM
 
USCena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Allentown P.A.
Posts: 908
Points: 406
                     
Re: Ronda Rousey in WWE is very concerning.

Well, we all know they brought her in because she's a big deal outside of wrestling and they LOVE their celebrities. At the LEAST, she has previous MMA credentials and and major accomplishments in the Olympics and in judo events, so at least she's not a model with ZERO abilities. She's green, but I see the potential in her and I think she has a deep love for the sport, so I'll give her some slack. I do hope she does very well herself in wrestling, but we'll see in 10 years. I don't really blame her much as the company is to blame sending her out green cause they cannot hold their wad in long enough--but just as well, she might not ever "get it" from wrestling training, so I really do not know. I would like to wait a bit to actually see what happens with her.

The same time though, the company's BIGGEST problem, is they've got like 20 active women wrestlers total? Not even enough to fill all 30 spots for the rumble months ago. How's a division supposed to thrive when one can round Robin it in one year and be totally out of fresh competition at the end? Ronda's supposed to be the "Brock Lesnar" in this situation in that she is the MOST credible fighting woman on the roster (yes, I'm including Asuka too because she's the John Cena in the world of predetermined outcomes), so it is REALLY, REALLY hard to see any further matches with her seem a big deal and be marketable. At this point, to even make a dent, WWE would have to come up with a 3rd/4th "women only" brand and have enough women total to equal that of how many active men there are total in this company. 50+ women with contracts would really make a difference, but I'm sure the company is not budgeted for that. You'd probably need close to 80 to make the women's division meaningful. I just counted 84 active current male wrestlers on WWE's roster page, so you'd need to closely match it for things to not look like a farce.
USCena is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome