Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,819
Points: 8,219
                     
Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

The racism was only implied, not definite, poorly chosen words but still Bruce Pritchard insists that no racism was intended, well maybe there was and they played it a little too subtle, maybe?

The 30 second delay then the pin at their WrestleMania Match was what buried him

Less imposing wrestlers have kicked out of the pedigree but not booker, even with a 30 second head start, no excuse for this crap

The angle was poorly concocted from the beginning, Booker t just wins some random battle royal, didn't even get an entrance

WCW gets buried AGAIN thanks to The Son In Law! For (beep) sakes.

Booker T didn't even make for a believable contender, spent too long being Austin, Rock or Angles bitch and stuck in mediocre midcard fueds

This is why his eventual title reign as King Booker is even more insulting, he finally gets it only because HHH isn't there? puh-lease!
jroc72191 likes this.

Despite what you may have heard about so-called "smark marks" and the "IWC" some of us are actually here to help. All you have to do is ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpm131 View Post
As a kid I wanted to believe it was real but back then we had real fights in school and I went to sling this guy into a pole like wrestlers would do when they threw guys into the ropes and the kid didnít move and when I tried it again he punched me, I knew then that wrestlers were working together in the ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopee View Post

Wrestling is a combat sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Jack Daniels View Post
And the minute you compromise that for a check, I can't feel sorry for you. You got what you wanted, therefore you got what you deserved.

Last edited by Greatsthegreats; 05-24-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Greatsthegreats is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:09 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,196
Points: 8,078
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

the nadir of triple nose and his reign of burying in 02-04

of course, there were others - kane, rvd, steiner, goldberg, orton...

but booker's treatment really sticks out
Tag89 is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 PM
 
Jupiter Jack Daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Far Away From Uncle Ole
Posts: 14,527
Points: 6,755
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

Bruce is full of shit (big surprise).


Beyond the usage of the term "nappy hair", the promo was the equivalent of a minstrel show. The only way it could've been any more racist was if he called him the n-word.


It would be somewhat forgivable if Booker T won. You head down that path and use that verbiage, it puts him in a position where he isn't just competing for a title. It's now a matter of pride.



That being said, I can't help but side eye Booker for going along with this because, once again, it's a matter of pride. And the minute you compromise that for a check, I can't feel sorry for you. You got what you wanted, therefore you got what you deserved.
WINNING and deadcool like this.

Jupiter Jack Daniels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Favourite(s): Scarlett Bordeaux, Lacey Evans, Y2J, MJF, MOX
Posts: 4,891
Points: 14,806
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

They buried him because he was a WCW guy which was whatever because they did it to every WCW guy because Vince and his stooges were petty carny cunts, but they went way too far with the blatant racism. If I was Book I would have fucked them over and walked out right before WM.
deadcool likes this.
nWo4Lyfe420 is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:51 PM
it's a tarp!
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,679
Points: 17,464
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

Booker T was only in that spot because Scott Steiner bombed SO badly.

Since Hunter was always booked to win the WM match it didn't really matter whom he faced, anybody in that spot would have been booked as a scrub. Booker was likely to have been steamrolled by Hunter somewhere down the line anyway, so why not take the big match at Mania rather than headlining Bad Blood.

Besides, Booker T got more sympathy for that pin that for anything else in his career. Much like when Daniel Bryan lost in 18 seconds.

What is the coolest animal?
A hip-po.
InexorableJourney is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,922
Points: 7,144
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

HHH going over was the right move. But if they weren't gonna put the title on Booker, they should have just left all the quasi-racism stuff out. It makes his character look bad (like, REALLY bad) when HHH buries him with that and then he comes up short and fails to win the gold anyway.

I think people are reaching a bit with assuming there was any sort of anti-WCW agenda behind it, though. WWF pushed enough ex-WCW stars (Goldberg and Rey Mysterio being the most prominent) to their credit that it seems asinine to assume they chose to bury Booker simply because he used to be part of the competition. Word is Booker wasn't even the original choice for HHH's opponent that year anyway; the original WM X-9 line up was meant to be Rock/Goldberg and HHH/Austin for the WHC but Goldberg didn't sign in time, so they rearranged the card and pulled Booker up from the midcard to fight HHH instead.
Lockard The GOAT is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,819
Points: 8,219
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableJourney View Post
Besides, Booker T got more sympathy for that pin that for anything else in his career.
more like bitter reverence because we all remember how they botched the alliance angle, Booker was mistreated especially


Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableJourney View Post
Much like when Daniel Bryan lost in 18 seconds.
more like that was WWE crapping all over Wrestlemania as a whole, it was intentional homicide to everything Daniel Bryan stood for,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockard The GOAT View Post
HHH going over was the right move. But if they weren't gonna put the title on Booker, they should have just left all the quasi-racism stuff out. It makes his character look bad (like, REALLY bad) when HHH buries him with that and then he comes up short and fails to win the gold anyway.
I agree, but it should have been in 2002, no evolution and HHH holds the Undisputed belt longer, mopping the guys that Rock, Austin and Angle trounced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockard The GOAT View Post
Word is Booker wasn't even the original choice for HHH's opponent that year anyway; the original WM X-9 line up was meant to be Rock/Goldberg and HHH/Austin for the WHC but Goldberg didn't sign in time, so they rearranged the card and pulled Booker up from the midcard to fight HHH instead.
it should have been DX vs NWO or HHH vs Brock Lesnar, only 1 world title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockard The GOAT View Post
I think people are reaching a bit with assuming there was any sort of anti-WCW agenda behind it, though. WWF pushed enough ex-WCW stars (Goldberg and Rey Mysterio being the most prominent) to their credit that it seems asinine to assume they chose to bury Booker simply because he used to be part of the competition.
They milked Rey's mask (even though he was unmasked) and his affiliation with Eddy Guerrero for cheap pops

Goldberg was only an exception because he was hard to work with and over demanding, but the people wanted him and WWE weren't willing to hold firm and make him tow the line for once. Too bad none of the dream matches we actually wanted from it happened

and if those two examples are the only ones you got then your argument there is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Jack Daniels View Post
And the minute you compromise that for a check, I can't feel sorry for you. You got what you wanted, therefore you got what you deserved.
I should probably put this in my signature

Despite what you may have heard about so-called "smark marks" and the "IWC" some of us are actually here to help. All you have to do is ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpm131 View Post
As a kid I wanted to believe it was real but back then we had real fights in school and I went to sling this guy into a pole like wrestlers would do when they threw guys into the ropes and the kid didnít move and when I tried it again he punched me, I knew then that wrestlers were working together in the ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopee View Post

Wrestling is a combat sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Jack Daniels View Post
And the minute you compromise that for a check, I can't feel sorry for you. You got what you wanted, therefore you got what you deserved.

Last edited by Greatsthegreats; 05-25-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Greatsthegreats is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:38 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,922
Points: 7,144
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatsthegreats View Post
They milked Rey's mask (even though he was unmasked) and his affiliation with Eddy Guerrero for cheap pops

Goldberg was only an exception because he was hard to work with and over demanding, but the people wanted him and WWE weren't willing to hold firm and make him tow the line for once. Too bad none of the dream matches we actually wanted from it happened

and if those two examples are the only ones you got then your argument there is dead
So what they put the mask back on Rey? He's better off with the mask than without it, how does that suit some kind of anti-WCW agenda on WWE's part?

At the end of the day Rey is one of the biggest overachievers in wrestling history. He got a lot further for a guy his size than anyone thought he'd ever be able to in a big man territory like WWE's. So both he and Goldberg being handled well by the 'E contradicts the notion that the company did little but bury all of the former WCW talent that ended up on their roster at some point.
Lockard The GOAT is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:46 PM
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
 
Jersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 10,228
Points: 67,698
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

We all know it was racism but what's baffles me is Booker pinned hhh clean on the raw before mania yet hhh didn't put him over. Why? Why build Booker to look strong only to bury him?
SMW likes this.

Jersey is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,819
Points: 8,219
                     
Re: Booker T and the "Racism/Burial" in 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockard The GOAT View Post
So what they put the mask back on Rey? He's better off with the mask than without it, how does that suit some kind of anti-WCW agenda on WWE's part?

At the end of the day Rey is one of the biggest overachievers in wrestling history. He got a lot further for a guy his size than anyone thought he'd ever be able to in a big man territory like WWE's. So both he and Goldberg being handled well by the 'E contradicts the notion that the company did little but bury all of the former WCW talent that ended up on their roster at some point.
They only pushed rey because of the mask sales, rey was overpushed and they payed for it after he won the world title, never even won a midcard belt beforehand, besides wrestlers actually wrestle better without a mask obscuring their vision

Goldberg wasn't well handled, the point I was trying to make is that they was no way he could be handled well, he wasn't going to co-operate let alone give proper respect and his formula wasn't going to work in just a 1 year span especially if it meant feeding a whole bunch guys to him and dashing their credibility, he was only good for dream matches against Undertaker and Stone Cold

Despite what you may have heard about so-called "smark marks" and the "IWC" some of us are actually here to help. All you have to do is ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpm131 View Post
As a kid I wanted to believe it was real but back then we had real fights in school and I went to sling this guy into a pole like wrestlers would do when they threw guys into the ropes and the kid didnít move and when I tried it again he punched me, I knew then that wrestlers were working together in the ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopee View Post

Wrestling is a combat sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Jack Daniels View Post
And the minute you compromise that for a check, I can't feel sorry for you. You got what you wanted, therefore you got what you deserved.

Last edited by Greatsthegreats; 05-26-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Greatsthegreats is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome