The Triple H Reign of Terror - Page 4 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums

 57Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:39 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,895
Points: 8,509
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
I disagree with most of this. If you do a brand split, you need two world titles - so thereís at least the illusion of parity between the brands.
Two brands OF THE SAME PROMOTION, is confusing for the hardcore and casual audience alike. Heck for a brief time they had HHH and Trish hopping between both shows, they should have done that for all the champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
Why would HHH call it a career in 2003?

oh HE wouldn't, because someone backstage was/is a prick

but he should, rumour has it he reinjured one of his knees in Dec of 2002, he clearly didn't have it anymore or at the very least needed more time off

when you need to downshift to semi-retirement that is a tell tale sign that your time is nigh
Tag89 and Piper's Pit like this.

Despite what you may have heard about so-called "smark marks" and the "IWC" some of us are actually here to help. All you have to do is ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpm131 View Post
As a kid I wanted to believe it was real but back then we had real fights in school and I went to sling this guy into a pole like wrestlers would do when they threw guys into the ropes and the kid didnít move and when I tried it again he punched me, I knew then that wrestlers were working together in the ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I AM Glacier View Post
It's insane that we're going to applaud a wrestling company for doing this.
It should be 100% standard across pro wrestling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Jack Daniels View Post
And the minute you compromise that for a check, I can't feel sorry for you. You got what you wanted, therefore you got what you deserved.
Greatsthegreats is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,497
Points: 17,666
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror

The Reign of Terror didn't wear people out just for Triple H winning matches. It was also:

-The fact that we got 20+ minute Trips/Evolution promos nearly every opening to Raw for years, and it was pretty much the same damn promo every time. It went on and on and on and on and on and it got SO BORING and repetitive.

-Same for the "Evolution beats down some poor schmuck forever." It can be effective if used strategically, but not when it's done all the damn time.

-Trips dominating the show in-general because even if he had no match, he'd still have multiple backstage segments most shows, and he'd be at least somewhat involved in the other Evolution stuff. Raw might as well have been renamed "Triple H and friends" because that's what it was for like THREE YEARS!!

-Trips wasn't in peak physical shape. Coming back from his injury, and getting too big, made his in-ring work much more slow and boring than it had been before (or would be afterwards for that matter).

-The fact that those who lost to them rarely got their momentum back and usually just ended up slipping down the card.

-Etc.

All of this, combined with Smackdown doing some really cool stuff at the time, gave many people little incentive to watch Raw then (I gave up watching it much for a long while there because I got sick of it being the "Triple H" show). Really Reign of Terror Triple H was the LEAST interesting or effective version of Triple H imo.
Asuka842 is offline  
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,401
Points: 11,739
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
I disagree with most of this. If you do a brand split, you need two world titles - so there’s at least the illusion of parity between the brands.

Why would HHH call it a career in 2003?
Nah, two World Champions doesn’t make sense. Being a champion is the answer to the question “Who is the best?” If you have two, then you’ve got two contenders.

You should have had floating champs except for the IC and US (maybe European at the time). If you do a split at all.
The Wood is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM
This is my show now
 
Lyynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Favourite(s): Becky, Austin, HBK, Asuka, Sasha, Benoit, Eddie
Posts: 1,285
Points: 4,144
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrooks View Post
Everybody saying Goldberg should've won the belt, let me tell you, Reign of Terror is an interesting one for me, because I hated Triple H at that time, even before 2003. I thought he was lame and boring since his return at the start of 2002. I hated that Jericho lost the Undisputed Championship to him, and hated it when he was given the World Heavyweight Championship.

So when he was challenged by RVD - I wanted RVD to win the belt.

When he was challenged by Kane - I wanted Kane to win the belt.

When he was challenged by Booker T - I wanted Booker T to win the belt.

Even Kevin Nash or Scott Steiner were better options for me than Triple H, that's how I hated him. But by the time Goldberg challenged for the title, I kinda didn't care. I didn't believe Triple H would ever lose. So when he won at SummerSlam, I just laughed and stopped watching for years. Funny that they broke me right before he lost, but honestly - he was in the title picture non-stop in the years to come, so whatever. Never was a fan of Goldberg anyway. Couldn't bring myself to cheer for him.
This was the same for me. I didn't care by the time he lost to Goldberg and wasn't watching when he lost to Batista. His booking was the beginning of the ratings decline because guys that the fans liked were being humiliated by him and then losing to him.
RBrooks and Tag89 like this.



Lyynch is offline  
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM
 
Piper's Pit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,162
Points: 3,548
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror

It's a miracle as many people kept watching as they did during this. Yes, ratings fell but compared to the rest of television they were extremely strong, just shows how loyal wrestling fans are.



R.I.P.
Piper's Pit is offline  
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:51 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,160
Points: 7,922
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillbergisback View Post
I can see at a certain point Orton being penciled in, it's always a competion but I'm thinking Batista was kept in the dark and that's just politics. Ask yourself how many WM rematches from SS and beyond there's been. HHH would get a fall program and the WM/ spring opponent. That's how it works. Orton fall, Batista WM. The top prospect in Vince's mind gets the WM spot.
Not sure why you think it's so obvious Batista was always favored over Orton. Is it because he's the bigger guy? Biggest guy doesn't always get the biggest push. Everyone close to the industry says that was meant to be Orton's push before his face turn flopped, Batista himself even confirmed it like I said lol. Just look at how their runs went post-2005: Orton was clearly pushed more than Batista was in the long run. He won more world titles, headlined more PPV's, Batista/Cena happened in the undercard at Summerslam while Cena/Orton headlined Summerslam more than once (they actually have the record for the most 1-on-1 PPV matches), etc. Orton was always a notch above Big Dave, generally speaking.
Lockard The GOAT is offline  
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:10 PM
 
TripleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,284
Points: 29,171
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror




The Triple H Reign of Terror was a miserable experience. I'm all for long heel runs, but it was just program after program with HHH keeping the title through shitty matches and lame stories.

The matches with Steiner? Puke. The matches with Nash? They had to make Foley the referee just to get people to care. The matches with Goldberg? Terrible, and he inexplicably won the EC match at SSlam despite being injured and unable to bump.

It also didn't help that HHH wasn't in the best of shape and clearly hamstringed by nagging injuries. There are ways to work around that, but HHH is one of those guys that thinks he can have half hour matches with everyone and he's going to do it whether you like it or not.

And the sad thing is, the guys he was working with typically got the blame. Steiner got labeled a worthless shit bag after working with Hunter, despite him coming off of what was thought to be a career ending injury and had to work off the ring rust. And honestly, I thought Steiner had a good match with Jericho the night after stinking out the joint with HHH at Rumble 03 so...he's at least carryable, and his work in TNA showed that he was willing to work his butt off to have acceptable matches.

And Nash, again, for his limitations, I've seen have good matches since stinking out the joint with HHH. And Goldberg is one of those guys you kind of have to adapt to his style of match to make it work. Having back and forth formula 20 min matches with Bill just isn't going to cut it. That's why his best matches were with guys that were willing to play to his strengths to the fullest, like DDP, Sting, Raven, and most recently, Brock Lesnar. But HHH wasn't going to play like that and the matches were a slog because of it.

It was all just horrible. I don't even get me started on Katie Vick and the likes of Kane, RVD, and Booker T being sacrificed at his alter just for the sake of it.

He bounced back in 04 with great matches Shawn and Benoit (which lets be honest, if you can't have great matches with them, you should retire) but 02 and 03 got about as bad as it can get.
RBrooks and Tag89 like this.

WEEKDAY WARRIORS OF WRESTLING WEBSITE
=http://thebrainosaur.com

Follow Me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pscrazyplace

WHAT WENT WRONG: WARRIOR'S TITLE REIGN

Last edited by TripleG; 04-21-2019 at 12:59 PM.
TripleG is offline  
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:14 PM
 
virus21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 22,283
Points: 72,721
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror

For those who want the skinny of the whole thing, Brian Zane did a pretty decent video about it
Tag89 and Asuka842 like this.

https://cdn2us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/main_wide/public/2018/12/titans-episode-7-review-donna-troy.jpg?itok=fSRBp7JR

Let's make some magic.
virus21 is online now  
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:23 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,497
Points: 17,666
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror

It also gave us Katie Vick, and the whole era should burn in the fiery pits of Hell just for that.
Tag89 likes this.
Asuka842 is offline  
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 PM
 
Stephen90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Berea Ohio
Posts: 2,936
Points: 11,024
                     
Re: The Triple H Reign of Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka842 View Post
It also gave us Katie Vick, and the whole era should burn in the fiery pits of Hell just for that.
You forgot the boring predictable feuds with Kevin Nash and Eugene. He wasn't even the champion when he was feuding Eugene yet it was the main storyline of Raw every week.
Stephen90 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome